Day Trader Stress

This is a discussion on Day Trader Stress within the Discretionary Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Dealer's Itch is what you're suffering from The "stress" is adrenalin. It just feels different between a profitable and a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:22pm   #17

Joined Feb 2003
Dealer's Itch is what you're suffering from
The "stress" is adrenalin. It just feels different between a profitable and a losing trade.
You've got to learn to walk away if you're swing trading.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:24pm   #18
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
Stress has been the last 2 days in the STIRS, nothing going on and I feel the need, feel the stress of quiet markets.......if the addiction cannot be controlled with the proven system then the monster that is the BOREDOM trade takes control of the mouse and starts punting....
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:37pm   #19
Joined Jan 2003
zig..

Quote:
I absolutely bloody hate day trading, it's boring as hell, I stopped doing it a couple of years ago and swing/range trade longer time frames.
What instrument and timeframe do you trade?
darrenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:54pm   #20
Joined Jul 2003
Don't suffer from over-watchfullness as I used to (even as a swing-trader I was watching 1-minute charts!).

However, I do sometimes fall prey to Overload .

Nothing to do with how many things or how much you have to do, but just a sudden and inexplicable feeling of complete boredom with EVERYTHING!!!

All the things that you're passionate about, interested in and spend most of your time (voluntarily) researching and educating yourself in - suddenly - you really can't be ar*ed.

Definitely not stress. But a strange phenomenon all the same.

My only useful response to this when it does occur (which is rare, but all the more potent for it's suddenness and severity) is to haul myself off to bed and stay there until it passes.

Before the psychologists out there suggest depression - nope - I'm perfectly happy to be feeling this way because I know what it's all about.

You (we?) load ourselves up with inordinate amounts of data, processes, systems, connections, patterns, techniques etc (and that's just our trading side of our lives) and it gets to a point where the Unconscious side of our brains says 'Hang on a mo...time for ME to concentrate on all this newly acquired info, assimilate it and sort into something useful for you'.

8 hours sleep each night sometimes wont do the job. Lethargey (even physical illness in some cases) sets in and our brain forces us to quit. So it can do its work.

Stress, as pointed out in a previous post, means you're probably not trading correctly, or don't have a system that's automatic enough or your risk isn't being adequately handled for your personal risk profile etc.

Overload is to be welcomed. It means you're cramming to the max!
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:59pm   #21
Joined Dec 2002
and if you're a day trader (like me) you've got to learn to keep your hands warm using your backside

For advertising issues ONLY please email advertising (at) trade2win.com
rossored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:13pm   #22
Joined Jan 2004
Having a foul mouth with associated vocabulary helps a lot of day-traders in arcades. Nice to vent all the stress and frustration in the **** moment, in particular day trading. You should try it!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:17pm   #23
BBB

Joined Dec 2003
1. One of the advantages of trading stocks is that there are so many of them, there is usually something going down (or up!) somewhere. However, if you focus on just one or two shares or contracts, there are bound to be times where your style isn't suitable, so you've got to learn to keep your hands warm as RR says.

2. I personally think that to be successful you really have got to spend a LOT of hours for a LONG time learning and immersing yourself in the markets. It's no wonder that at times you're going to need a break. Thats why I think its essential to have other interests outside of trading to keep you focused when you need to be.
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:24pm   #24

Joined Feb 2003
Not sure if this will work but its one of the alerts I have programmed in and it usually livens my day
Its an mp3 and plays thro real one player
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 *******s.mp3 (46.1 KB, 415 views)

Last edited by Rognvald; Apr 7, 2004 at 8:33pm.
Rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote