Looking for broker

This is a discussion on Looking for broker within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi, What would be the best broker to use for swing & position trading? Following are a couple of points ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:46pm   #1
Joined Mar 2003
Looking for broker

Hi,

What would be the best broker to use for swing & position trading?

Following are a couple of points to consider:

1) Must provide margin at reasonable financing rates.

2) Cover the main exchanges.

3) Cover all companies in a exchange. (This rules out CFD providers as they only allow you to trade the larger companies)

I understand IB are very cheap and cover a wide range of exchanges but they appear to be aimed at Daytraders. Can I position trade with them on margin?

Kind regards.
Marc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 6:07pm   #2

Joined Nov 2000
IB is a full brokerage, used by daytraders, swing traders, end-of-day traders, weekly traders, and institutions.

Yes, it's used by daytraders, but that is just because it has very reasonable commissions, covers a large number of markets, and is readily accessible to Brits (unlike some US brokerages).

Yes you can trade with them on margin. Have a look at their website interactivebrokers.co.uk and you can read all about their margin requirements, markets traded, commissions, etc. Almost everything you'd want to know is on that website somewhere, and all their wares are laid out for you to see before you consider opening an account with them. I can't think of any other brokerage which does this.
Skimbleshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:13pm   #3

Joined Mar 2003
Marc100,
not sure if any non CFD broker will provide finance?

If you do go down the full service broker route, I'd be more than happy to reccomend a couple of firms, PM if you are interested- but remember you get what you pay for, and a decent broker will more than cover his costs in his execution skills, rather than a telephone jockey who will always fill you at the touch...
CityTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:12pm   #4
Joined Mar 2003
Marc100 started this thread Thank you for your responses.

Skimbleshanks

Looking at the IB site it states 50% margin available so I think I will go down this route. Thanks.

CityTrader

When I mentioned finance I was refering to the interest charged on the amount borrowed when using margin, as in that offered by IB above. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again for your replys.

Marc.
Marc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 2:22pm   #5
Joined Apr 2004
Marc100,

If you need any assistance please feel free to contact me.

Gary Dibley

Interactive Brokers(U.K.) Limited
Regulated by FSA
Gary (IB Rep UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: axelb9
Old Apr 22, 2004, 3:47pm   #6

Joined Mar 2004
Gary(IB)/shimbleshanks

Is there a minimum funding balance required to open an account?

I have checked the site but can't find these details.

Also, I am a newcomer to trading and it seems IB require a Trader to have executed 100 trades before opening an account. I don't have 100 trades under my belt as I have been paper trading and would now like to start trading proper. I don't see on giving away my hard earned savings to SB companies. I want to Day Trade and Swing Trade - where can I open an account as a Beginner?

Thanks

LWB
LittleWhiteBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:24pm   #7

Joined Nov 2000
LWB:

To trade in the US you have to have a minimum account balance of $2,000 (legal requirement set by US Government, not IB) or the equivalent in your base currency.

The initial deposit details are here:
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/ht...mDeposits.html

But do remember that this minimum is sufficient to keep the account open, and you'll need an extra cushion of funds in your account to cover your trading losses, and commissions etc.

And as to the minimum trading levels required, all brokers and SB companies are the same in requiring experience. I assume that everyone just tells a few porkies on their application form - after all, no-one's going to check up, and the reason all brokers ask for this is so that they cannot be blamed if you open an account and then blow it on day one because you didn't know anything about trading.
Skimbleshanks is offline   Reply With Quote