Online Brokers

This is a discussion on Online Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by jonboy123 ok to join and use two or three diff online brokers? I made a coupla trades ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:42pm   #31
Joined Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy123 View Post
ok to join and use two or three diff online brokers?

I made a coupla trades with selftrade.
Then i discovered hoodless brennan, and made my latest trade with them.
Hoodless is slightly cheaper. For the normal trade cost.

I bought some shares yesterday. Eg the price on yahoo finance and on selftrade was 6.15p
but the price on hoodless was 6.25p.....why is this? were they compensating for the reduced commission cost, so bumping the price to buy a little?

Also one of my stocks on selftrade was valued at £715, but when i tested this, and tried to sell it, i was offered like £680, after a few attempts. If it is valued at £715 market value, why was i getting offered a much less offer, when selling????
Do we have to keep refreshing the browser? or just keep trying to BUY shares, to get the Ask price offer? Sometimes i click to buy, cancel, and then when i click second time, its diff price. Does a potentinal BUY have an affect on the share price?

And do the share prices only get updated like every 15 mins? on the websites like selftrade, hoodless, barclays.
I dont wanna have to pay for level 2 live price feed just yet, as i just dont have the time or skill to trade like that yet.
jonboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:25pm   #32
Joined Mar 2009
best online broker for swing trading? including charting facilities.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:45pm   #33

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Is anyone using iDealing currently. If so can you advise whether they allow stop losses on US positions and are these posted electronically or do they need to be done manually by the trade desk? Selftrade for some reason will only handle them manually up until 7pm - seems archaic in this day and age.
rt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:37pm   #34

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy123 View Post
Do we have to keep refreshing the browser? or just keep trying to BUY shares, to get the Ask price offer? Sometimes i click to buy, cancel, and then when i click second time, its diff price. Does a potentinal BUY have an affect on the share price?

And do the share prices only get updated like every 15 mins? on the websites like selftrade, hoodless, barclays.
I dont wanna have to pay for level 2 live price feed just yet, as i just dont have the time or skill to trade like that yet.
Hi jonboy,

I also use Selftrade who I find very good for prices and quote sizes compared to other brokers I have used.
On the valuation page the price used could be the mid-price. When you get a sell quote that will be the bid price which is usually lower than the mid-price.
I use moneyam.com for live prices with no delay, which is free. Don't use delayed feeds, no point.
UkBigballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:09pm   #35

Joined Apr 2009
I reckon InteractiveBrokers to be one of the best online brokers.
I don't use it, but references are plenty and good.
Remarkable the wide offer of products.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:05pm   #36
Joined Mar 2009
Re: Online Brokers

selftrade started charging admin fees.

TDWaterhouse charge quarterly fees.
Hoodless is closed.

Are there any alternatives? that are cheap/reputable with no non-trading fees?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:17pm   #37

2 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Re: Online Brokers

Simply Stockbroking charges £8 per trade Home - SimplyStockbroking
and JPJShare.com who claim to be the cheapest at £5.75 per trade
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote