ThinkorSwim

This is a discussion on ThinkorSwim within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Hey all, Just wondering if anybody here uses thinkorswim and to see what people think about it. Adam...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:21pm   #1

5 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
ThinkorSwim

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody here uses thinkorswim and to see what people think about it.

Adam
Adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:52pm   #2
Joined Jun 2006
Re: ThinkorSwim

is it true that you have to make deposit in TOS for data after opening account?
bharatk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:11pm   #3
Joined Oct 2006

Check elitetrader.com there was a lot of discussion there about TOS. I think the general view was that they were very good but the service deteriorated when they were bought by another company.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:09pm   #4

Joined Sep 2010

I had an unfunded ToS account for 5 months before funding it. I used it to do paper trading. I can't speak to access to such features as ThinkBack which gives you access to historical data.

Customer service is still excellent. However, requests for things that would be approved without much fuss are now on hold pending decisions by their new owner, TD Ameritrade. And initiatives like their iPAD application seem to be on indefinite hold. I fear this merger will take away from ToS what made it so attractive to many of us, i.e. their dynamism and willingness to me a maverick.

Meanwhile, I am still with them. Other than granting access to things I "want" rather than "need," I'm pretty happy.

I can't give you any information relative to other choices because I am not very familiar. The only additional data point is that my son had a substantial account with Zecco and moved it to ToS after he saw what I could do.

Also, they have an options metric called "Probability of Touching." They are the only one I know of who has it and it is critical to my strategy.
HowardCohodas is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:17pm   #5
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
IHowever, requests for things that would be approved without much fuss are now on hold pending decisions by their new owner, TD Ameritrade. And initiatives like their iPAD application seem to be on indefinite hold. I fear this merger will take away from ToS what made it so attractive to many of us, i.e. their dynamism and willingness to me a maverick.
Usually the case when a company get bought out by a competitor. You can be sure down the line the TOS platform will just be integrated into TD's Command Center platform.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:40pm   #6

Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post
Usually the case when a company get bought out by a competitor. You can be sure down the line the TOS platform will just be integrated into TD's Command Center platform.

Peter
I don't know what is going on at the moment, but originally the ToS platform was to be the surviving platform. I sure hope so.
HowardCohodas is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:37am   #7
Joined Dec 2010

They're not bad, but they're not the best either. For what they offer for free, they can't be beat. The only draw back is bad unreliable and sometimes wrong data.

If you're a swing trader or options trader, they're great. For day trading or scalping, I would recommend IB.
scalperhill is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote