World Index

ewilcox

Hi All

Is there anything around that could be considered a world index? I'm thinking along the line of how the FTSE 100 is constructed by weighting each stock by its capitalisation. I.e. take the FTSE 100 value, DOW, S&P500, Nikkei etc , weight them all accordingly then create a world index that would track in effect how markets the world over are doing? I'm not entirely sure what value such an index would have either? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

ew.

ewilcox said:
Hi All

Is there anything around that could be considered a world index? I'm thinking along the line of how the FTSE 100 is constructed by weighting each stock by its capitalisation. I.e. take the FTSE 100 value, DOW, S&P500, Nikkei etc , weight them all accordingly then create a world index that would track in effect how markets the world over are doing? I'm not entirely sure what value such an index would have either? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

ew.

EW

MSCI have a number of global indices as do S&P. For the fund managers a lot follow the MSCI indices, not so much for tracking purposes per se more for their universe of stocks. Not sure how much MSCI info is available without paying for it - I have a feeling index constituents are not available for free.

Hope this helps

Stew

dsmodi said:
is a general chart of the MCSI index freely available anywhere?

Sure thing, check out www.msci.com but you need to register first. I don't think any of the MSCI indices are tradable as such, but I think some funds use them as benchmarks perhaps, certainly they use them to define their universes.

Below of a chart from the site for the EAFE index.

Stew

Attachments

• msci.jpg
    msci.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,131