What kind of person can trade?

Im very interested to hear from what kind of background FF's current successfull resident traders come from. For the purposes of this thread I would like successfull to be defined as anyone who has been profitable(made considerably more than they have lost) for 2+ years.

You may be an x/current-business owner, top uni grad, bricky, engineer, programmer, scientist or a drug dealer. Regardless of previous occupation Im sure I and others would be interested to hear.

* Uni grad -The love/want to learn may be why you have found success trading.
* Scientist - Your methodical aproach lends itself well to trading.
* Ect..

Anyone who fits the 'success criteria' is welcome to shair, but anyone else who has thoughts on whether background is an important thing when determining trading success is also welcome to discuss.

MHO,
The best traders are the small business with the Math/Scientist type of mind.

It doesnt require rocket science math and science. But the Scientist type because of all the strategy testing and theory testing. Some Math skills are required.

Most importantly is the Small Business Entreprenuer type mind though. The type of person that knows there's no one else to do it. They are the ones that will be ultimately responsible for their own success and or failures. If there are no Entreprenuarials to hire look toward the solo Sports (the golfer/Wrestler) type of personalities instead of Entreprenuerial.

Now the whole Book smart vs street smart
UNiv degree not so much but always get the degree if you have the opportunity (it wont hurt) Cant teach drive and determination. And believe it or not some people werent even challenged in Univ to get their degree.

Hi all,
I think automatedtrading have created an interesting thread so that we can discuss about the kind of person that always do the trade. This would be good for some people who want to know more about many aspects of business

he didn't create it, he copied it, if you are so interested why not go see the ff link in my previous post, but don't come back here posting a copied reply looking all fancy like ;)

and to cap it all stuff posted over at ff copied from our forum!

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/99284-planning-trade.html

http://www.forexfactory.com/showpost.php?p=3882989&postcount=208

look, its not clever, you're found out, stop cross posting stuff across different boards

MHO,
The best traders are the small business with the Math/Scientist type of mind.

It doesnt require rocket science math and science. But the Scientist type because of all the strategy testing and theory testing. Some Math skills are required.

Most importantly is the Small Business Entreprenuer type mind though. The type of person that knows there's no one else to do it. They are the ones that will be ultimately responsible for their own success and or failures. If there are no Entreprenuarials to hire look toward the solo Sports (the golfer/Wrestler) type of personalities instead of Entreprenuerial.

Now the whole Book smart vs street smart
UNiv degree not so much but always get the degree if you have the opportunity (it wont hurt) Cant teach drive and determination. And believe it or not some people werent even challenged in Univ to get their degree.

Respectfully, I'm gonna disagree with this. I think this is your concept of what a good trader is based on the path you have chosen in your own efforts to become succesul.

You seem to be coming from the angle of purely mechanical approaches to trading. I guess if a lot of people were making money from purely mechanical systems then I'd agree.

Quants are not traders and traders are not quants. There's a myth around that quants are employed to find complex mathematical patterns to trade - this is what most quants would like to be doing. What they actually do (in the main) is risk analysis and woking on software systems.

Now - of course, mathematical automated systems are used in things like arbitrage - but you also need a fair pot of cash to make money that way so it's out of the domain of traders like us who mostly go for directional trades & outright positions.

There are different styles of trading and I'd say that different styles take different types of people to be succesful.

On the one hand, you have the likes of Paul Rotter aka The Flipper who regularly fakes out the market and is pretty much a master of the tape. On the other hand you have Peter Lynch who brought shares in a company making tights because his wife told him l'egg was selling out all over the place. Both trade yet it is safe to say that neither could do what the other does.

So - let's say there are different styles and different personalities for each style. In the above 2 examples, I would doubt that either Rotter or Lynch have any background in the sciences, in fact I know Lynch doesn't, Rotter pretty much keeps himself to himself - but I would NOT play poker with him. I have a friend who runs a forex desk, he could best be described as "cockney barrow boy". I have seen no evidence that a physics Phd is an ideal qualification to trade.

For business skills - I doubt these are important either. I have been running a company for the last 9 and a half years, I have 35 employees and the company makes millions (sadly, I started it with OPM and they own it), yet trading doesn't come easy to me. Certainly - for short term trading i.e. Paul Rotter (or following a Paul Rotter), it is of absolutely no use at all. For the Peter Lynch types - perhaps it is.

I think the most important skills are - confidence, a set of balls, the ability to shrug things off easily and the ability to not let things go to your head.

As for golfers/wrestlers - I think you must have been drinking at that point. Are you saying that tiger woods, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks could have been traders ???

Each genre of trading is a skill in itself. Just as beckham has footie skills, I think it's fair to say that people can have trading skills. Of course, I could practise football all I liked but never become Beckham. I don't think there's any reason to think that trading itself isn't a skill.

I personally think you could suck at everything else in life but be a good trader, although some people may call you a savant.

Somtimes the over-thinkers don't do very well. They can give you as many reasons that the market's about to go up than they can about why it's going to go down!

If I can trade successfully, any idiot can. Just find an edge, stick to your rules, etc.

Somtimes the over-thinkers don't do very well. They can give you as many reasons that the market's about to go up than they can about why it's going to go down!

If I can trade successfully, any idiot can. Just find an edge, stick to your rules, etc.

Exactly, I left school when I was 15 to work on my Dad's apple orchard, inherited in at 22, sold it at 26 invested all I could into my trading education (software, courses, books etc) and pure discipline, motivation, determination and 5 years later I am living the dream, working from home and trading successfully.

If I can do it, anybody can

I think anyone who has enough discipline can do it. One must be able to stomach losses and still keep at it.

Of the successful traders I know personally (not a statistically significant sample) I find two distinct types.

There are the "trade school" types who have a lot of experience and domain knowledge. They don't always know the "why" but they are superb at the "how."

There are the "university" types who need to know the "why" and the "how." They will, without hesitation, invest time and money at gaining this knowledge. They do this because they have succeeded in other career areas by doing the same thing.

I like to analogize this phenomenon as car mechanic vs. automotive engineer.

The trade-school types are frequently successful in shorter time than the university types. Not being hung up on the "whys" lets them experiment and run with what works.

The university types frequently fail because they get hung up in the "paralysis of analysis." There is always one more thing to understand. One more indicator to investigate. One more set of parameters to try on the indicator flavor of the month. Those that know when what they have got is "good enough" seem to be quite successful.

I'll compare trading success to poker success. There are a TON of "good" poker players in the world. They know the fundamentals, probabilities and may even know hard/fast rules to follow. But knowing the right play and actually making it (or sticking to it) are worlds apart. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Well, this is gonna be stupid, but..." or "You've probably got me beat, but oh well" and statements like that. People KNOW the right play, but they fall in love with their hand.

In trading this can be equated to sticking to your guns and adapting to different conditions and knowing the when to choose either.

The best traders are the one's who are like Peyton Manning. They take what the market gives them. They look for the home run, but will gladly take a 5 yard pass if that's what the defense is offering.

Like said earlier, you have to be able to take the swings and punches, suffer a loss and put it behind you. Emotional poker players are still fretting about the last hand while pros realize it's a new hand, leave it behind you.

I think there's some self serving opinions among traders that analytical types don't make good traders. I find this sentiment mainly among traders who aren't analytical. They convince themselves that quant geeks don't make good traders, which in turn leaves the option open for them to be the exception to the rule.

I think you have to have both analytical skills, but not bound by them....which is another way of saying stay flexible. Not every style works in every market condition.

The problem with a lot of quants is they refuse to believe their strategy isn't infallable. Again, knowing when to stick to your guns and when to adapt is the key. But intuition alone isn't a trading style that's tenable for just about anyone....unless you just have more money than you know what to do with and you don't care.

if let me choose which kind o f person i would like to trade is the honest man .i think many people have the same opinion with me .because we are not worried about being cheated we can become good friends trading is not trading but making friends

What kind of person can trade?

Many kinds, but there are certain types that are far less likely to be able to trade than others.

The type least likely to be able to trade successfully is known as the "Vendor". Most could not, in trading terms, find their own ar$es with both hands. Most could not, again in trading terms, p1ss in the ocean if they were standing on the sea bed.

In general, they excel at fleecing the ignorant and spreading laughable ideas.