what happened to the US dollar today? Oct 13 2009

guardiangel

sry for the newbish question. kinda new to forex. :(
the USD strengthened a lot at approximately 2pm NYT GMT.
i checked EUR/USD and all major pairs and it was the same reaction across the board.
i looked at the fx calendar and it didn't mention anything special in particular.

the closest fundamental news i found was
1:45pm USD FOMC Member Kohn Speaks

did this event spark this change or am i missing something? :eek:
any tips on where/ what to look out for in terms of fundamental news?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Forex Angel!

Whenever the D has been punished it has a habit of punishing in return ;) 50 pips in 10 minutes isn't much of an out of the ordinary move. You can generally get that when the NY markets open on a daily basis.. Unfortunately, retail traders generally ask "what the hell just happened?" rather than being able to do anything meaningful about it during the fact. We're the low man on the totem pole.

It was Kohn's comments that sparked the move (for anyone that does give a sh*t - obviously not N Rothschild but hey ho).

i was meaning more along the line that finding the reasons for things after the fact is rather frivolous...things happen and not every move has a how or a why

if a container has a leak. i'd rather find the leak rather than just letting it leak away. even if this chance / move slipped by, won't it be better to see how some might improve their trading plan if they missed anything?
i don't see anything wrong from learning from the past.
i won't see it as crying over spilled milk, but learning how not to spill the milk again.
then again i said i am new at forex and have plenty to learn :eek:

i was meaning more along the line that finding the reasons for things after the fact is rather frivolous...things happen and not every move has a how or a why

But the fact he was speaking was publicised in advance, and someone may therefore wish to make a note of that and keep such events in mind in future.

Or just stumble around in the dark the whole time asking what the fk just happened... Up to you really.