What do you on the weekends when you are not trading?

That is probably why CV is so grumpy and sarcastic. It makes me have more sympathy. My great uncle had a ranch down by San Diego. You could not even see to the edge of his property. It was extremely quiet. You would not have to worry about crime. The only danger there was the snakes. I think I would like the English countryside in some areas. California is more arrid. The English countryside is so wet. I would like to go on a fox hunt there some time.

I am sure @Pat494 and others will get a kick out of this. Some of my family could be considered cowboys. They have horses, wear Stetsons and do equestrian activities.

Fashion Island
https://www.burnscowboyshop.com/

:LOL:

Grumpy.

If only you knew just how much enjoyment I get from winding up the natives. Hrs of fun while the markets do what they do.

Skiing is always fun. Park city, UT is where I went last time. Where exactly in Scotland do you ski?

Hi hhiusa, we were in Park city last year, the powder was lacking, well, almost non existent, which was a massive shame as the Utah powder was the reason for going.
Its a great layout though, we spent most of our time in Canyons (would have liked to go into deer valley.....but snowboarders are not allowed in.....hooligans apparently)

Spent many good seasons in the US & Canada (Colorado, Whistler etc) I have to admit, you guys have superb mountains.

If you haven't skied there already, I highly recommend France, I hate to say it as an Englishman, but France is probably top of my list all round & easy for us to access for a long weekend

Hi hhiusa, we were in Park city last year, the powder was lacking, well, almost non existent, which was a massive shame as the Utah powder was the reason for going.
Its a great layout though, we spent most of our time in Canyons (would have liked to go into deer valley.....but snowboarders are not allowed in.....hooligans apparently)

Spent many good seasons in the US & Canada (Colorado, Whistler etc) I have to admit, you guys have superb mountains.

If you haven't skied there already, I highly recommend France, I hate to say it as an Englishman, but France is probably top of my list all round & easy for us to access for a long weekend

I have not been yet. My parents and my grandparents-in-law (father's parents-in-law) have been multiple times. They have a doctorate in French. My family canceled their trip to France this year due to the attacks. I would have to agree with you about France. I had always thought the Swiss Alps and Austria was the place to ski. I like your username.

I studied French and Japanese in high school and university.

The people here in California used to use their own mountains. Snowboarders are viewed as hooligans as you say. The mountains here has become overrun with them which is why we and many others I know now go to Park city. Utah is a very cheap and short flight. 1h 10mins.

How long does it take you to get from where you are to Chamonix?

Avez-vous étudié la Français? 日本語を話しますか

Last edited:
I have not been yet. My parents and my grandparents-in-law (father's parents-in-law) have been multiple times. They have a doctorate in French. My family canceled their trip to France this year due to the attacks. I would have to agree with you about France. I had always thought the Swiss Alps and Austria was the place to ski. I like your username.

I studied French and Japanese in high school and university.

The people here in California used to use their own mountains. Snowboarders are viewed as hooligans as you say. The mountains here has become overrun with them which is why we and many others I know now go to Park city. Utah is a very cheap and short flight. 1h 10mins.

How long does it take you to get from where you are to Chamonix?

Avez-vous étudié la Français? 日本語を話しますか

Hats off to you & your folks, I have a great deal of respect for people to have taken the time to learn another language.
The swiss Alps & Austria are both lovely place to ski, the Dolomite's in Italy are also a must on any skiers radar imo.

I skied from my teens for about 10 seasons, then switched & got hooked on the boarding, it's not as graceful as skiing, but man alive it's fun !
I totally get where the skiers are coming from though, I actually thought the Deer Park arrangement was a bl@@dy good idea. Having learned to ski first, then go onto the board has made me very aware of skiers space. I'm Going back to the skis myself soon for a bit of civility ;)

Chamonix is very easy for us, (though nowhere near as good as your 1hr 10) I'm in the south of the UK, it's approx 1.5 flight to Geneva, 1hr/1.5hr ground transport to the slopes, it sounds like hassle, but it's easy.

Sierra Nevada in southern Spain is another little Gem if hit at the right time.

In answer to your last question, I can get by on a decent level in Spanish, but unfortunately my French & Japanese are "pas ...totemo subarashi"

Skiing is always fun. Park city, UT is where I went last time. Where exactly in Scotland do you ski?

In the past I've visited the Cairngorms, Glencoe and Glenshee. Glenshee is probably my favourite out of the 3 though.

This weekend will be weather dependant, and whatever one has the best conditions/most runs open. Keeping the fingers crossed as it's a hell of a journey to get there and find out there will be no runs open!

Would love to go to one of the resorts in the States and give them a go, one day. :)

Hats off to you & your folks, I have a great deal of respect for people to have taken the time to learn another language.
The swiss Alps & Austria are both lovely place to ski, the Dolomite's in Italy are also a must on any skiers radar imo.

I skied from my teens for about 10 seasons, then switched & got hooked on the boarding, it's not as graceful as skiing, but man alive it's fun !
I totally get where the skiers are coming from though, I actually thought the Deer Park arrangement was a bl@@dy good idea. Having learned to ski first, then go onto the board has made me very aware of skiers space. I'm Going back to the skis myself soon for a bit of civility ;)

Chamonix is very easy for us, (though nowhere near as good as your 1hr 10) I'm in the south of the UK, it's approx 1.5 flight to Geneva, 1hr/1.5hr ground transport to the slopes, it sounds like hassle, but it's easy.

Sierra Nevada in southern Spain is another little Gem if hit at the right time.

In answer to your last question, I can get by on a decent level in Spanish, but unfortunately my French & Japanese are "pas ...totemo subarashi"

You said your French and Japanese are totally wonderful. Tokyojoeさんが日本語が上手ですか。

I think I just like skiing more because I like to have both feet free. It gives me more mobility and control. I do not feel as maneuverable when both of my feet are stuck to a single board. I think that would be like skiing with one ski.

In the past I've visited the Cairngorms, Glencoe and Glenshee. Glenshee is probably my favourite out of the 3 though.

This weekend will be weather dependant, and whatever one has the best conditions/most runs open. Keeping the fingers crossed as it's a hell of a journey to get there and find out there will be no runs open!

Would love to go to one of the resorts in the States and give them a go, one day. :)

Scotland is such a small place. Is it really that difficult to get where you are going?

Scotland is such a small place. Is it really that difficult to get where you are going?

Yeah I don't live in Scotland though, I live in England. It's not difficult to get there no, but in the car it's about an 8 hour drive on a good day.

Yeah I don't live in Scotland though, I live in England. It's not difficult to get there no, but in the car it's about an 8 hour drive on a good day.

Why is that? The UK is so small. You must live at the very bottom of the country. Do you live in the Portsmouth or Southampton area? Couldn't you fly from London to Inverness? It seems like it would be cheaper to fly than it would be to drive, especially with the high cost of "petrol" in the UK.

The distance from Newport Beach, CA to San Francisco is 382 miles as the crow flies. The distance from London to Cairngorn is also 382 miles as the crow flies.

It should never take this long to travel from Newport Beach to San Francisco by car. That trip takes most people anywhere from 6.5 - 8 hours.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_03_at_8_42_57_AM.png

Why is that? The UK is so small. You must live at the very bottom of the country. Do you live in the Portsmouth or Southampton area? Couldn't you fly from London to Inverness? It seems like it would be cheaper to fly than it would be to drive, especially with the high cost of "petrol" in the UK.

The distance from Newport Beach, CA to San Francisco is 382 miles as the crow flies. The distance from London to Cairngorn is also 382 miles as the crow flies.

It should never take this long to travel from Newport Beach to San Francisco by car. That trip takes most people anywhere from 6.5 - 8 hours.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_03_at_8_42_57_AM.png

No I live north of London actually, but you have to account for a few things about what you've assumed from Google:

1. Google's estimate is not only generous in my opinion, but it also doesn't account for any rest stops. I for one don't enjoy driving for 8+ hours solid without stopping for food/toilet/rest etc. That adds at least an extra hour to the journey as opposed to just going all the way in one go.

2. Once you cross the forth road bridge and get further north in Scotland, Google are probably estimating average speeds on the motorways and A roads as they do for further south. Maintaining even 60mph as you get further north when there is heavy snow fall would be a death wish.

3. Google's estimate of $103 for a flight from London to Inverness on a weekend is also an eye opener, and that's before we've been hit with ridiculous extra baggage charges for the heavy ski gear.

4. With 4 or 5 of us in the car it works out by far the cheapest and most convenient way to get there.

5. Unfortunately I've never been to the states, but I'd imagine that the drive from CA to San Francisco on nice straight, wide free ways with clear, hot weather would be quite a different story from the drive I have to endure. It's all worth it when we get there though. :)

No I live north of London actually, but you have to account for a few things about what you've assumed from Google:

1. Google's estimate is not only generous in my opinion, but it also doesn't account for any rest stops. I for one don't enjoy driving for 8+ hours solid without stopping for food/toilet/rest etc. That adds at least an extra hour to the journey as opposed to just going all the way in one go.

2. Once you cross the forth road bridge and get further north in Scotland, Google are probably estimating average speeds on the motorways and A roads as they do for further south. Maintaining even 60mph as you get further north when there is heavy snow fall would be a death wish.

3. Google's estimate of $103 for a flight from London to Inverness on a weekend is also an eye opener, and that's before we've been hit with ridiculous extra baggage charges for the heavy ski gear.

4. With 4 or 5 of us in the car it works out by far the cheapest and most convenient way to get there.

5. Unfortunately I've never been to the states, but I'd imagine that the drive from CA to San Francisco on nice straight, wide free ways with clear, hot weather would be quite a different story from the drive I have to endure. It's all worth it when we get there though. :)

Thank you. That clears a lot of things up for me. "Petrol" is at approximately $5.59 per gallon in the UK. My car is definitely not very economical but based upon a car that gets 30 miles to the gallon I would estimate you would spend about $100. Since it is taking even longer than Google suggests it seems like it might be worth it to pay the extra cash and get there 10 times quicker.

You are obviously much more patient than I. I know people that love road trips. I, however, do not like them. It seems like it's much more difficult to move around in the country is that correct?

Thank you. That clears a lot of things up for me. "Petrol" is at approximately $5.59 per gallon in the UK. My car is definitely not very economical but based upon a car that gets 30 miles to the gallon I would estimate you would spend about $100. Since it is taking even longer than Google suggests it seems like it might be worth it to pay the extra cash and get there 10 times quicker.

You are obviously much more patient than I. I know people that love road trips. I, however, do not like them. It seems like it's much more difficult to move around in the country is that correct?

If I had my way I would happily fly there and back and just throw the gear on the plane, but in terms of cost it does work out considerably more expensive, and it's not an easy sell to my friends when they would be having to fork out like 10 times the cost of sharing the petrol costs in the car.

Like you say though, I'm not a great fan of road trips either but it's just a lot cheaper really, so have to keep everyone happy.

Yeah, as you get further north beyond Fife then it gets steadily worse. To get to Glenshee for example, the last 40 miles are a pain, and the last 10 or so miles are often a tight road with 10ft walls of snow either side of it with traffic coming both ways!

Can be quite an experience, especially when lorries with massive trailers carrying chopped down trees are hurtling down the road towards you and just smashing through the wall of snow on their side to make a bit more space to avoid hitting you! (This happened to us once a couple of years ago) :eek:

Just noticed HH that fuel prices are slightly above the norm on the west coast c.a. Why is that ? is it roughly $2.35/gal..

Also was looking at property/real estate prices in and around newport beach..What makes it such an expensive area to live ? You dont get much for your $4 mil, compared to uk that is...

If I had my way I would happily fly there and back and just throw the gear on the plane, but in terms of cost it does work out considerably more expensive, and it's not an easy sell to my friends when they would be having to fork out like 10 times the cost of sharing the petrol costs in the car.

Like you say though, I'm not a great fan of road trips either but it's just a lot cheaper really, so have to keep everyone happy.

Yeah, as you get further north beyond Fife then it gets steadily worse. To get to Glenshee for example, the last 40 miles are a pain, and the last 10 or so miles are often a tight road with 10ft walls of snow either side of it with traffic coming both ways!

Can be quite an experience, especially when lorries with massive trailers carrying chopped down trees are hurtling down the road towards you and just smashing through the wall of snow on their side to make a bit more space to avoid hitting you! (This happened to us once a couple of years ago) :eek:

It sounds like flying is a bit of a luxury over there. Tickets to San Francisco are like $100. My dad recently flew to San Francisco with his wife and rented a car for three days for approximately $350.

Our cars tend to not be as economical as yours. I am always fascinated by cars' mpg and hp ratings when I go to the Mercedes or BMW for UK websites.

It sounds like flying is a bit of a luxury over there. Tickets to San Francisco or like $100. My dad recently flew to San Francisco with his wife and rented a car for three days for approximately $350.

Our cars tend to not be as economical as yours. I am always fascinated cars' mpg and hp ratings when I go to the Mercedes or BMW for UK websites.

Yeah internal air and rail travel in the UK can be very pricey. European cars are getting better and better, 70mpg+ on new German diesels seems to be the norm.

Yeah internal air and rail travel in the UK can be very pricey. European cars are getting better and better, 70mpg+ on new German diesels seems to be the norm.

When you compare the same models from BMW in the US and Europe, I have noticed that the European models tend to be supercharged. For instance they would rather supercharge a V6 than use a standard V8 like in the US. It is interesting to note that European car websites have the CO2 listed and the mpg listed. The US BMW website list the acceleration, top speed and horsepower. It would seem that many people including myself do not care about the mpg here.

Why are the sames cars more expensive there? A BMW M3 in the US is $63,500 and £56,595 ($82,062) in the UK. US M3 has 425 hp and UK M3 has twin turbo up to 431 hp.

Why are the sames cars more expensive there? A BMW M3 in the US is $63,500 and £56,595 ($82,062) in the UK. US M3 has 425 hp and UK M3 has twin turbo up to 431 hp.

The same reason petrol, cigarettes, alcohol and pretty much anything else people buy in the UK is obscenely over priced compared to the US... tax.

Westminster governments couldn't run a bath over here, never mind a country. So they have to charge ridiculous import tax and VAT on everything to make up for the mess they have all made of running the place for decades.

Just noticed HH that fuel prices are slightly above the norm on the west coast c.a. Why is that ? is it roughly $2.35/gal..

Also was looking at property/real estate prices in and around newport beach..What makes it such an expensive area to live ? You dont get much for your $4 mil, compared to uk that is...

There are a few reasons that I believe contribute to this. I think that a few of them will definitely be unpopular with you guys over there. For being a fairly big city, it has a low population density. Many big cities have very high population densities. This matters because my neighbors and myself included, do not like really crowded places. Crowded places tend to have more crime.

Coastal cities in California tend to have pricey real estate; however, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach seems to take the cake.
  1. Newport Beach has a very big harbour that is perfect for people who like sailing and have big yachts most houses comes with slips that can accomodate them.
  2. The weather is pretty much perfect 10 months out of the year.
  3. You do not have to live in a big city to work for big company. Newport Beach has offices from many of the major investments firms, which allows the wealthy to live outside of the big cities. Pimco has a building right near Fashion Island.
  4. The residents themselves help to drive up the price of real estate by buying one or several properties and renovating them and then charging whatever the market will bear. I belive this is done to promote and/or to prevent certain people from moving there. It makes it so that the fewer people that can afford it the better. The market here will apparently bear a lot since it is quite desirable, especially for sailing. There are a myriad of yacht clubs.
  5. There are no price controls here. Home owners can charge whatever they want for rents and leases.
It is not crime free but the violent crime is way below average. The police and the residents do not actually have to do anything physically to prevent people from invading the city as it were. Many people I talk to, who live in less affluent neighborhoods tell me that they think people are pretentious,..., the list goes on. However, I find the people to be very friendly. The reputation seems to be enough to keep certain from coming here.

This creates an environment that certain people flock to. People with money flock to it for the security and the beauty.

Last edited:
A beautiful day in paradise. I do not know why anyone would want to live anywhere else.
4sM6oqn.png