What do I need to get started?

wakefordt

Dear All,

I'm looking at getting into trading on the Bund and Bobl. I have about £1500 to get started. In a former job I traded on CQG and X-Trader. I want to keep fixed costs low, what software do you all recommend? what do i need?

J Trader?
Sierra charts?
IB Account?

Tom

wakefordt said:
Dear All,

I'm looking at getting into trading on the Bund and Bobl. I have about £1500 to get started. In a former job I traded on CQG and X-Trader. I want to keep fixed costs low, what software do you all recommend? what do i need?

J Trader?
Sierra charts?
IB Account?

Tom

ok i've been reading a bit more. i figure I will go with IB datafeed and sierra charts... does no one have any thoughts?!

Cant comment about your markets, but I use the same combo - IB/Sierra.

Can't fault it, really. Its cheap (ideal for me), does exactly what it says on the tin, but the only problem you might encouter is backdata - ie if your platform is off, IB at present don't supply backfill data.

You can get a program called SCMagic Client, which I use to fill in the gaps, which is pretty cheap. Don't know if they cover what you want though - I don't think so, to be honest.

HTH

£1500 might not be enough if you are trading bund outright since in one move u might lose £100 (8-10 ticks), if u are spreading then you can minimise risk but u know that.

If you are trading bund and/or bobl ... you might start with bobl for the smaller move/risk given that you seem to be undercapitalised. They tend to have very similar trends so (personally) I wouldn't be trading both at the same time.

For an alternative to trade at the same time consider ESTX50 which has great liquidity, opens an hour after the bund and will give you trends at times when the bund might be moving sideways. IMO Bund is trendier than ESTX so if you are inclined to the countertrend I would save it for ESTX.

DAX is a thinner, faster, meaner ESTX.

Warning: Its a year since I traded or looked at these two.