US Sectors' relative strength

Scorny

Can anyone point me to a website that shows US sectors in order of relative strength, their industries in order of relative strength and the companies within the industries, again listed in order of relative strength. I have found a few sites that simply list sectors etc. but they don't sort in order of relative strength.

I'd be most grateful for any help!

what do you mean exactly by sector strenght? by largest capitalization withint the whole index?

Depends on what you mean by "relative strength". If you're looking for a number a la IBD, then no. But if you're looking for sector strength relative to each other, go to stockcharts.com, click Free Charts, then CandleGlance Charts, then S&P Select Sector SPDRS. When that loads, select One Year and click Go, and you'll get something like this: http://stockcharts.com/candleglance/?XLF,XLK,XLI,XLB,XLE,XLP,XLV,XLU,XLY|D

It doesn't take a great deal of chart-reading acumen to see that Financials and Technlogy are in deep caca and that the stars among these are Utilities, Materials, and Energy (if you want to limit yourself to the last two to three months, you'll note that Energy takes the prize). You'll also note that Industrials recently failed to make a new high, which bears watching.

As for the industries and groups, you can do much the same thing using the MW link provided earlier, though you may prefer to go directly to BigCharts.com (MW bought them during the internet fallout). You can avoid most of the ads and promos this way. If you're interested, I'll explain how.

That didn't post as a link, for some reason. Just copy and paste it into your locator window.

dbphoenix said:
That didn't post as a link, for some reason. Just copy and paste it into your locator window.

Db,

Try using the [ URL ] [ /URL ] tags around links.

Andy

Thanks for your help guys. Sorry it's taken me so long to thank you. I suffered a major computer meltdown & have had to pretty much re-build it, & I foolishly neglected to backup regularly.

The market watch site is exactly what i was looking for as it lists sectors, industries & stocks in order of top/bottom performers.

Thanks again!
Saul

Scorny said:
Thanks for your help guys. Sorry it's taken me so long to thank you. I suffered a major computer meltdown & have had to pretty much re-build it, & I foolishly neglected to backup regularly.

The market watch site is exactly what i was looking for as it lists sectors, industries & stocks in order of top/bottom performers.

Thanks again!
Saul

You're welcome, though, as I said, it's easier to access the info from the bigcharts.com side rather than the marketwatch side.

In any case, the stars right now are Energy and Utilities, but the rest bear watching.