Understanding the principles behind day and swing trading

u0362565

2 2
Hi all,

I'm looking very broadly at how you make a profit out of these methods and I just wanted a confirmation of whether I've basically got it right. I see there is a lot more to it in terms of how you carry it out but just the basic principle.
So say I see a stock has positive momentum over the course of a couple days and I decide to jump on the bandwagon. I set a profit limit of 1.5% and a loss no more than 1%. I then wait around or perhaps it can be automated? until the share price reaches the 1.5% profit or 1% stop loss limits and then sell. Say I bought £10k worth of shares, I then either have £150 or I've lost £100 excluding taxes which, broker fee's. Now I realise a lot of this rests on how many wins vs losses you manage to get and wins to some extent make up for the losses but you still need over 40% wins, is there anything I'm missing, do fee's/taxes really eat into every trade at this level? Does this also mean its not necessary to use leverage if you're happy with these numbers? The thing I forget is that it looks easy when you can see historically what a share has done over several days.

Thanks for the advice.

u0362565

2 2
Hi guys, since i posted this I have recently done a few trades over the course of a week or so but done through a share dealing account & probably due to the current Bear market I have made a profit-this should probably not be taken as "the norm" with such high price changes over short periods? Also it was easier as there was a big dip followed by a small recovery which was probably somewhat predictable. But guessing opportunities can be found at any time if you know where to look. Anyway this was a dip my toe in short term trading. I suppose i could keep doing this, I guess you'd call this swing trading. I admit i did not obide by the rules above in any way i just waited until i went into a profit i was happy with.

Day trading seems a whole other thing and was looking at spreadbetting and CFD's-i get how they work but there you definitely need a risk management strategy but primarily i wonder if trying to predict the markets over the course of secs, mins, hours really is just random gambling.

Latty12

31 5
Well, to trade like that, you really need to understand how they work.
Right. Proper understanding of something is very important otherwise no use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock