UK trust investments for a childs education

Directional

Experienced member
I have a little nephew who is 18 months old and I'd like to help my brother put him into private education, starting with nursery when he's about three.

I was wondering how one goes about setting up an investment trust or similar, where I pay into it on a regular basis and the fund pays out at term renewal intervals.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience of the best ways of going about something like this?

Hi Arb,

Probably the most important thing is to get the investment set up as a 'bare trust', the alternative is a 'designated account' which just ends up getting added to your income / CGT for tax purposes. Under a bare trust, all the income / gains are counted as the child's so it makes full use of his zero-rated and lower tax-bands. The downside of the bare trust is that he gets full control at 18 - but if you're setting it up for his education, most of it will have been drawn down by then presumably. There are other trust options, but they can start to get expensive to administer. You'll need a solicitor to set one up, and then from there you can just pay in and trade on his behalf. Google 'bare trust' and you'll find lots of info.

I guess your brother has already cashed in his Child Trust Fund allowance and has that in equities? You can top that up to a total of £1200p.a. which is effectively like a mini-ISA for tax purposes (kids can't have ISAs in their names), although the downside is that you can't get to it until he's 18. So you could use the bare trust to pay for school, and the CTF for university.

Probably the biggest problem is that if you want this to be paying out from the age of 3, you're just not going to get enough head of steam going to generate a return, assuming you're not going to be trading it actively, or putting in tens of thousands to set it up. Probably better to pay nursery fees out of cash (the government helps with this, by the way), and let the fund build up until at least prep- if not junior or senior school.

By the way, here's a list from the AITC of 'child-friendly' investment trusts which might help from an admin point of view. If going the bare trust route, you need to make sure that as the trustee you have the ability to spend the money on education as the plain vanilla version will only let you save I think - but I'm pretty sure you can get the solicitor to add the appropriate clauses.

http://www.aitc.co.uk/files/presscentre/Investmenttrustchildrentable.pdf

Arb,

Just listening to the radio and there's been a trailer for Radio 4's Moneybox programme, this afternoon at 3pm - all about investing for children. It mentioned that things like bare trusts would be covered. Hopefully won't be too mickey mouse and worth listening too. Use the Radio 4 website/archive if you miss the programme live (they usually hold stuff for a week).

I have no legal/trust know how to add to the discussion and JoC has given a lot of good stuff. But as a parent with experience of current private education I would say that from 3-7 it is not really necessary or make that much difference. The key time in my view is 11-18 as it is very expensive. Followed by 7-11 as it is useful to help get into the school of choice at 11 or 13. The costs get higher the older they are (not just from inflation). I would suggest it is worth using the first few years to build up a lump of capital to help in the later years.

Just my thoughts, of course, and you and your brother should do what you think is best

Best of luck with it

Gareth

JOC thanks for that!
I didnt get to listen live unfortunately as I was too busy - did you? I'll try and find the show on their website and have an ear deckers

No, didn't hear it, it clashed with the school run, which is slightly ironic if you think about it!