Technical analysis for consistency?

Fisherfisher

Hello, I have been trading FX using technical analysis and am struggling to become consistent. When back testing the market moves randomly and I cant seem to find a edge. I don't know anyone who trades and sometimes feel like its not possible to beat the market and be consistent using TA.
Is there any one who is taking consistent profits using TA? should i carry on trying to find a edge or move to a more fundamental strategy as i understand this is ultimately what moves price.

Thanks
LF

Hello, I have been trading FX using technical analysis and am struggling to become consistent. When back testing the market moves randomly and I cant seem to find a edge. I don't know anyone who trades and sometimes feel like its not possible to beat the market and be consistent using TA.
Is there any one who is taking consistent profits using TA? should i carry on trying to find a edge or move to a more fundamental strategy as i understand this is ultimately what moves price.

Thanks
LF

yes it is possible ......technical analysis embraces everything ......my only advice is dont just use it in isolation......

Hi,

I am in the process of developing an intelligent agent for custom designing technical trading strategies. It essentially takes historical data and evolves a trading strategy using 23 technical indicators by optimising all their settings and thresholds simultaneously. As the markets are dynamic it also continuously updates itself. The output is, for a particular index, buy/hold/sell indicators on a day by day basis (frequency can be adapted).

Im in the process of creating demonstration data but am starting to think where to take this next? Obviously start using it myself but I dont have large amounts of capital. Sell it as a service maybe? Any other ideas?

Calculations are fairly intensive and currently takes about 5 days with current (not ideal) hardware so in the future will need to speed this up a tad.

Opinions are welcome!

Martin

PS. Im a scientist (chemist) with 16 years of algorithm based experience who is trying to apply the same principles to the stock market. Oh, and its not a time-series forecast as they dont work on stochastic data!