so - when do we buy Tesco ?

NVP

Jun 21, 2004
west sussex, UK
fxcorrelator.com
I suspect we need to see how xmas goes .........I also suspect that tesco already have PR strategic announcements ready if needed to bolster the SP...........when we see the announcements come we know they are really concerned about the SP falling further and the cogs start rolling........brinksmanship at the moment as every week of planning and preparation of new strategies will bring better long term dividends for the group

Atilla

Nov 15, 2006
Is it time to buy, 165 ?
Was over at Tesco extra over the w/e and didn't feel any buzz.

fwiw - I reckon sales will continue dipping. Didn't spend much either. Shop more now at my local groceries...

Wouldn't be buying anything right now. Impending doom and gloom. (n)

Pat494

Mar 27, 2004
Loads of people at my local Tesco, with reduced boxes of chocolates etc. at the door.

I did notice that the bin for the poor is near empty. maybe they just emptied it ?

Poor leadership at the top has near sunk Tesco like the CO-OP.

Who made a £250m hole in the accounts ? Hopefully not the tip of the Iceberg.

Last edited:

Jun 19, 2005
Tesco's business model is now outdated. Even now I'd be looking at the possibility of a short if I was doing UK shares. Notwithstanding that, our local Tesco Metro has the freshest and best tasting veg in the district.

Dec 2, 2004
Bradford
Tesco need a new CEO, the current guy is a winger. Easy way to turn the share price around shut the sheds down (Tesco Extra) or downsize them. The costs of running the things 24 hrs is uneconomical considering the hike in gas and electric.
Also the market likes lay offs but he is keeping on people. The other more drastic solution is to get out of food retail altogether and re-invent themselves on line. After all what's your profit from
27p toothpaste?

Splitlink

Nov 18, 2001
It's difficult, isn't it? When was it? 15-20 years ago Next's shares went down to penny status? I was too scared to get them at that price and bought them, finally, at something just over 100p. They had no debt and 120 million pounds cash! I was trying to find the catch.

Supermarket shares are different, though. They have so much uncovered debt that it is difficult to sort it out.

Pat494

Mar 27, 2004
I still think that the top hogs should bear some responsibility for incompetence, gross mismanagement etc. just as they used to. The American way of shrugging it off just isn't good enough. That man at the top of the COOP ruined 150 years work with his nonsense.
The directors who appoint these useless bosses should also face substantial penalties imho and not just pass the buck onto the shareholders.

Toughen up politicians or mind out the way imo.

:devilish:

NVP

Jun 21, 2004
west sussex, UK
fxcorrelator.com
Tesco's business model is now outdated. Even now I'd be looking at the possibility of a short if I was doing UK shares. Notwithstanding that, our local Tesco Metro has the freshest and best tasting veg in the district.[/QUOTE]

welcome to the future .........they are all at it ........and will all close some of those out of town abominations (or sublet them to other brands/services)

NVP

Jun 21, 2004
west sussex, UK
fxcorrelator.com
It's difficult, isn't it? When was it? 15-20 years ago Next's shares went down to penny status? I was too scared to get them at that price and bought them, finally, at something just over 100p. They had no debt and 120 million pounds cash! I was trying to find the catch.

Supermarket shares are different, though. They have so much uncovered debt that it is difficult to sort it out.
Next is a peach of a company .........no idea how they continue to defy gravity in such a brutal sector .......... but boy is that Next board savvy (y)

Intern

Jun 4, 2018
They did rise slowly after selling the south Korean and Turkish division... competition is fierce at home enough as is, I think it's wise from them to narrow down from the China market and pulling from the US and Japan altogether.

Pat494

Mar 27, 2004
I still think that the top hogs should bear some responsibility for incompetence, gross mismanagement etc. just as they used to. The American way of shrugging it off just isn't good enough. That man at the top of the COOP ruined 150 years work with his nonsense.
The directors who appoint these useless bosses should also face substantial penalties imho and not just pass the buck onto the shareholders.

Toughen up politicians or mind out the way imo.

:devilish:
Just to recap what I wrote the above in 2014.

We still have in the UK total plonkers at the top of so many FTSE companies who do their worst for the companies. From Fred the shred and kindred spirits who ruined Lloyds, the CO-OP, TSB etc. and are even now doing their worst with Marks & Spencers, House of Fraser etc.
Who gives those people top jobs should at least help pay for the damages they cause surely. But no not a word from Mrs. Poodle or even Carbuncle.
Golden bowlers all round for the boys.
Enough to make one weep.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2004
uk
Just to recap what I wrote the above in 2014.

We still have in the UK total plonkers at the top of so many FTSE companies who do their worst for the companies. From Fred the shred and kindred spirits who ruined Lloyds, the CO-OP, TSB etc. and are even now doing their worst with Marks & Spencers, House of Fraser etc.
Who gives those people top jobs should at least help pay for the damages they cause surely. But no not a word from Mrs. Poodle or even Carbuncle.
Golden bowlers all round for the boys.
Enough to make one weep.
I tend to agree Pat, it does indeed feel like incompetence is endemic throughout management and boards. but is it real incompetence? or bogus and deliberate.

I came across and briefly skimmed an article in my google news feed about how hedge funds (and therefore company board directors, if any way connected or incentivised) can profit immensely from cds swap payouts if their company nearly goes under technically, but can carry on, as we've seen recently on a regular basis. quite a clever rouse I might add if indeed going on, champers all round no doubt.