so - when do we buy Tesco ?

It's difficult, isn't it? When was it? 15-20 years ago Next's shares went down to penny status? I was too scared to get them at that price and bought them, finally, at something just over 100p. They had no debt and 120 million pounds cash! I was trying to find the catch.

Supermarket shares are different, though. They have so much uncovered debt that it is difficult to sort it out.

Next is a peach of a company .........no idea how they continue to defy gravity in such a brutal sector .......... but boy is that Next board savvy (y)

They did rise slowly after selling the south Korean and Turkish division... competition is fierce at home enough as is, I think it's wise from them to narrow down from the China market and pulling from the US and Japan altogether.

I still think that the top hogs should bear some responsibility for incompetence, gross mismanagement etc. just as they used to. The American way of shrugging it off just isn't good enough. That man at the top of the COOP ruined 150 years work with his nonsense.
The directors who appoint these useless bosses should also face substantial penalties imho and not just pass the buck onto the shareholders.

Toughen up politicians or mind out the way imo.

:devilish:

Just to recap what I wrote the above in 2014.

We still have in the UK total plonkers at the top of so many FTSE companies who do their worst for the companies. From Fred the shred and kindred spirits who ruined Lloyds, the CO-OP, TSB etc. and are even now doing their worst with Marks & Spencers, House of Fraser etc.
Who gives those people top jobs should at least help pay for the damages they cause surely. But no not a word from Mrs. Poodle or even Carbuncle.
Golden bowlers all round for the boys.
Enough to make one weep.

Last edited:
Just to recap what I wrote the above in 2014.

We still have in the UK total plonkers at the top of so many FTSE companies who do their worst for the companies. From Fred the shred and kindred spirits who ruined Lloyds, the CO-OP, TSB etc. and are even now doing their worst with Marks & Spencers, House of Fraser etc.
Who gives those people top jobs should at least help pay for the damages they cause surely. But no not a word from Mrs. Poodle or even Carbuncle.
Golden bowlers all round for the boys.
Enough to make one weep.

I tend to agree Pat, it does indeed feel like incompetence is endemic throughout management and boards. but is it real incompetence? or bogus and deliberate.

I came across and briefly skimmed an article in my google news feed about how hedge funds (and therefore company board directors, if any way connected or incentivised) can profit immensely from cds swap payouts if their company nearly goes under technically, but can carry on, as we've seen recently on a regular basis. quite a clever rouse I might add if indeed going on, champers all round no doubt.