Slopes

Friends are supposed to stick with you. A friend will agree to meet at a certain place at a certain time and will be there. A friend does not go off on some other road with a bimbo just because they got bored.

"What's happened to us Brenda. It's not the same as it used to be.
Have you met someone? Tell me!"

[Brenda bows head, silent]

"Tell me!"

"Look, it's not you, it's me. It's just one of those things...."

"What's he got that I haven't got....tell me!"

"Look it's not like that......it's nothing serious...."

"Tell me you bitch!"

"Look darling.......it's nothing....it's just a retracement....."

[Look out for part 16 of "Follow that Trend" by Sylvie Krin, in all good bookshops]

tim
the correct aspect ratio is 4:3
1:1 means,i think,that the "x" and "o" s are correctly formed.i.the "o" s are not squat/elongated.
there is a way round this....resize the chart,either by width and possibly by height.to get the correct looking "x " and "o" s.if the correct formula is applied to the data,then the charts should be fine.the only way to do this is to check them out against other software with the same box size and also by looking at the candlestick
the problem is that most software just processes the data having no regard to the presentation

In the end I think that the problem is psychological. We equate a steep angle on a chart with faster price rises. Software should maintain the aspect ratio no matter how the chart is pulled or stretched on a monitor. When we are quickly going through many charts such visual clues are important. Of course a closer look at the chart means the individual prices become important and the angle of the trend's slope is less of a problem.

As humans we give too much statistical weight to favourable looking patterns. Part of any price pattern is the slope we see in a trend. Right or wrong we tend to equate steep slopes with faster moves. I think software developers are inadvertantly doing traders a disservice when they do not pay attention to such an important matter as this.

Anything which helps get psychology out of trading or at the very least does not aggravate damaging tendencies should be encouraged.