Short Selling on Financial Institutions

DanielLambert

In the wake of the Financial Crisis this was banned for a period..

Short selling ban lifted on Friday 16th Jan..

Who was the numpty who arranged this date......

Lets pick a date on Friday when volumes are light and susceptible to a bear run....

Oh and also..... its a Half day holiday in New York , so volumes will be light...

Oh and also , its a Holiday on the following Monday in the US.....so volume even lighter.....

Hmmmmmm.......is it any wonder that the vultures pounced on Barclays with an hours trade to go , knowing that the US was asleep til Tuesday.........

it was in the Bond market... and Im sure if you look at volume for an average Friday in the equity market it was noticbly less than a usual Friday

you sound upset, im guessing you were long barclays?

No , not at all

I was just trying to analyse the situation and make some kind of reason out of the situation.....

Scenario..... Explain why barclays tanks in the last 60 mins of London trade..... just posting my opinion... I might be totally wrong....

I would put it down to the weakness in the US financials: Citigroup dumping assests, Bank of America's first posted loss in 17 years......

Agreed it was driven by bad news mostly, the other factors were minor in my view. The drop is more likely to be those holding stock dumping it with no one wanting to buy rather than Short sellers taking positions.

Paul