SEC plans end to price swings

China Diapers

Established member
Wednesday, 6th April 2011
MARKETS
US securities regulators yesterday unveiled a long-awaited plan designed to protect the markets from volatile price swings, following the 6 May “flash crash”.
The so-called “limit up-limit down” proposal from the Securities and Exchange Commission, would require trades in US-listed stocks to be executed within a range tied to recent prices.
If approved, it would replace existing single-stock circuit breakers that were implemented through a pilot programme shortly after the flash crash

http://www.cityam.com/news-and-analysis/sec-plans-end-price-swings

Any thoughts on this potential development?

This exists in the futures markets right? How would they calculate the range within which prices are allowed to move? How wide do you think the range is likely to be?

It seems to me this would be a potentially market changing event. I am more concerned about it limiting gains than limiting losses.

Last edited:
It's further proof and an admission that the market (for equities) is completely rigged and has been since 2008+. If you're in that exclusive club then all's good..for now..

In what way do you think the equities market is rigged? I hear this a lot but I don't understand what is meant by it.

Maybe in the sense of the Greenspan / Bernanke puts, but I wouldn't worry about dark forces conspiring to do you out of your gains.

I can't see these new proposals having a big impact on a day to day basis, and with the rise of algo / quant / HF trading they've got to do something to stop the machines buggering everything up on a bad day.

Yes it is obvious that QE is artificially inflating prices, so from that perspective I can see how the stock market is not allowed to function properly.

Cool, that's good to hear you don't think it will have a huge impact.

Uh?

Given rthe historically relatively low levels of volume on the S&P over the last 6-12 months, coupled with it's unrelenting and apparently gravity (and commonsense) defying rise, can anyone seriously doubt that the bods that print the money are having a hand in what the want the markets to look like?

It's all good news. And if you think it's bad news....you just ain't reading it right.

OK look, I am not ecomomist I look for pretty patterns in my charts, I just don't undertsand with all the uncertainty how the market can keep moving up. Seem logical all this excess money is finding it's way to the markets. But yes that doesn't explain the low volumes.

Anyway this is off topic I believe.

In what way do you think the equities market is rigged? I hear this a lot but I don't understand what is meant by it.

Do you recall not being able to short banking stock in 2008 ergo price discovery was temporarily made absolete? The flash crash last year is then rendered a rogue anomoly and a brake must be in place to stop it happening again? wtf.. It's bu11****, the reason 'The Bernank' kept on keeping on with Q.E. was to support the equities market, he's gone on record as saying as much, not to aid main street and a bottom up recovery but to simply keep the 'potemkin' facade in place that everything is cool on Wall St. If there is to be no more Q.E. then the market crashes, particularly if China keeps on pushing up rates and oil stays where it is and finds a fundamental support level. On that basis the administration and The Man is simply getting all their ducks in a row..More unchartered territory for us all to navigate.

OK look, I am not ecomomist I look for pretty patterns in my charts, I just don't undertsand with all the uncertainty how the market can keep moving up. Seem logical all this excess money is finding it's way to the markets. But yes that doesn't explain the low volumes.

Anyway this is off topic I believe.

Nope very much on topic..:) The low volume/s explains itself..

Do you recall not being able to short banking stock in 2008 ergo price discovery was temporarily made absolete? The flash crash last year is then rendered a rogue anomoly and a brake must be in place to stop it happening again? wtf.. It's bu11****, the reason 'The Bernank' kept on keeping on with Q.E. was to support the equities market, he's gone on record as saying as much, not to aid main street and a bottom up recovery but to simply keep the 'potemkin' facade in place that everything is cool on Wall St. If there is to be no more Q.E. then the market crashes, particularly if China keeps on pushing up rates and oil stays where it is and finds a fundamental support level. On that basis the administration and The Man is simply getting all their ducks in a row..More unchartered territory for us all to navigate.

OK I hear you, and I agree. Thanks this has been educational.

Nope very much on topic..:) The low volume/s explains itself..

Actually, I don't understand that just because it's monopoly money that's keeping the markets propped up that volume would be low. Money is money at the end of the day, and the buying that is required to keep the markets up would surely be reflected in the volume?

If someone is willing (and able) to buy 1000 shares AMZN (last trade at 185.29) at 186.35 the price will have moved up to reflect the last bid and will have done so under extremely low volume.

An extreme example to illustrate my point, but you get my drift.

If someone is willing (and able) to buy 1000 shares AMZN (last trade at 185.29) at 186.35 the price will have moved up to reflect the last bid and will have done so under extremely low volume.

An extreme example to illustrate my point, but you get my drift.

I see. Thanks.

stuff;

Reuters article that you may find interesting and a seeking alpha one which is just as revealing, check out the 'Timmy' thoughts on the USA reaching it's legal limits for borrowing :eek:;

US Headlines:

Fed’s Bernanke said he expects the recent spike in inflation to be ‘transitory’ and Fed will act if he’s wrong. He further said that the US must address fiscal issues or risk slower growth and potentially even a crisis, adding that commodity price increases generated primarily by global supply and demand. (RTRS)

In other news, a Republican budget plan due to be unveiled on Tuesday would cut USD 5.8trl from US spending over the next 10 years, a congressional aide familiar with the proposal said. The plan, which would take effect when the next fiscal year starts on Oct. 1, is expected to propose sweeping changes to the Medicare and Medicaid health programs, as well as hard caps on government spending and tax cuts. It is also worth noting that according to an article in the Washington Post, there is general agreement that the government would almost definitely shut down if Democrats and Republicans don’t reach a budget deal by tonight. (RTRS/Washington Post)

Also in the news, Treasury Secretary Geithner said the US will hit the legal limit on its ability to borrow no later than May 16. However, he said that default by the US is unthinkable. :-0

http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/264112-ransquawk/161112-daily-us-opening-news-05-04-11

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke may have to overcome divisions among policy makers should he seek to maintain record stimulus past June, minutes of the Fed’s March 15 meeting indicate.

A “few” among the central bank’s 17 governors and regional bank presidents said tighter credit may be warranted this year, while a “few others noted that exceptional policy accommodation could be appropriate beyond 2011,” the Federal Open Market Committee said in the minutes, released yesterday in Washington.

Stocks and Treasuries fell on speculation the Fed may start to tighten policy sooner than previously forecast after it completes its $600 billion bond-purchase program in June. A mixed bag of economic indicators, including higher food and energy prices and a slowing expansion in service industries, make Bernanke’s job tougher, said Keith Hembre, a former Fed researcher.

“You’ve got lower-than-desired growth and the potential for higher-than-desired inflation here, and it definitely complicates the picture from a policy standpoint,” said Hembre, chief economist and investment strategist in Minneapolis at Nuveen Asset Management, which oversees about $197 billion.

Several FOMC members “indicated, in light of recent developments, that the risks to their forecasts of inflation had shifted somewhat to the upside,” the minutes said.

Inflation Readings
Since the March FOMC meeting, reports showed the labor market and inflation have picked up while consumer confidence slipped and new home sales dropped to a record low. Some regional Fed presidents who were skeptical of stimulus have talked about the need to tighten credit, and Bernanke has yet to indicate his preference for the Fed’s next move.

Even with the division, Bernanke and his top deputies, Vice Chairman Janet Yellen and New York Fed President William Dudley, are unlikely to favor tighter policy this year, Hembre said. “They’re the leadership,” Hembre said. “They’ll dominate the debate and they’ll win.”

While the decision last month to continue the bond purchases was unanimous, the Fed said a few of the 10 voting members of the committee thought evidence of a stronger recovery, higher inflation and rising inflation expectations “could make it appropriate to reduce the pace or overall size of the purchase program,” the minutes said. “Several others” said they “did not anticipate making adjustments.”

Yield Climbs
U.S. stocks erased gains following the release of the minutes. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index was little changed at 1,332.63 at the close of trading in New York after rising as much as 0.4 percent before the Fed report. The yield on the 10- year Treasury note climbed to 3.48 percent from 3.42 percent the day before.

In releases since the Fed meeting, the Commerce Department reported that the central bank’s preferred price measure, which excludes food and fuel, was up 0.9 percent from a year earlier in February, the most since October. Including all items, prices rose 1.6 percent, compared with a 1.2 percent 12- month increase through January, the biggest monthly increase since December 2009.

Several FOMC members “indicated, in light of recent developments, that the risks to their forecasts of inflation had shifted somewhat to the upside,” according to the minutes. Bernanke said on April 4 in Stone Mountain, Georgia that policy makers must watch inflation “extremely closely” for evidence that rising commodity costs are having more than a temporary impact on consumer prices.

‘Abrupt Change’
“I don’t think we’re going to get a fast or abrupt change in policy,” said Stephen Stanley, chief economist at Pierpont Securities LLC in Stamford, Connecticut, on Bloomberg Radio’s “The Hays Advantage.”

“But clearly the center of gravity, I think, is starting to slowly but surely shift to a more hawkish bent as the inflation data start to pick up a little bit,” said Stanley, a former Fed researcher, using a term for Fed officials who are more inclined to tighten credit to fight price increases.

The Fed’s reluctance to tighten contrasts with some of its counterparts. European Central Bank policy makers have signaled that they may raise their benchmark interest rate from a record low of 1 percent when they next meet April 7, while China raised borrowing costs yesterday for the fourth time since the global financial crisis to limit the risk of asset price bubbles in the world’s fastest-growing major economy.

‘Moderate Pace’
Fed staff economists at the meeting gave a forecast for a “moderate pace” of 2011 and 2012 growth similar to projections at the last session in January, while lowering their forecast for the unemployment rate. Even so, “the jobless rate was still expected to decline slowly and to remain elevated at the end of 2012,” the minutes said.

Hembre said he reduced his U.S. growth forecast for 2011 yesterday to 2.5 percent from 3 percent, and for the first quarter to 3 percent from 3.5 percent, because “it looks like a fairly weak quarter for domestic demand in spite of the fact that we had a payroll tax cut in the first quarter that boosted disposable income.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ercome-fed-split-on-maintaining-stimulus.html

I can't seriously believe anyone would imagine there are algos out there doing HFT based on what's topping the Google search list at the moment. It would have to be a pretty discriminating and fancy piece of code to determine whether the quantity-based knowledge was positive or negative. Or perceived to be positive or negative. And decide who has what perception. And whose perceptions count the most.

Hatahway pregnant. With profits.
Berkshires falling snow.
Buffett table selling on ebay.