scalping or not?

blind_eye

Hi All

Have read a fair amount of threads on this forum relating to scalping, yet I'm still a bit unclear as to weather the timeframes below are scalping or not. Can anyone here please advise as I would like some clarification on this if possible.

2-5 mins
30mins
2hrs
4hrs

True scalping is just effectively taking the spread, very small movement pip/pt or 2.

..but scalping has taken on a more generic term for grabbing a quick handful of pts..so would probably generally be done on 5m timeframe or less but obviously doesn't make any difference if you do on a 4hr timeframe if you only stay in for a few pips/pts is still a scalp, would just be a bit harder to see what is going on:LOL:

I am sure someone can put it better

Thanks for the response Bangkoker, that does clear things up a bit. The reason I have asked the question is due to me seeing many posts on this forum where people have been put on dealer referral. I'd just like to know that If I do live trades and they are within the 2-5 mins, 30 mins timeframes etc is the SB company likely to have issues with this as opposed to the people who take trades after a few seconds. Currently using CS, and am not sure of their policies on this.

If you are talking from a few minutes to half an hour I wouldn't worry about it. If you get that successful that they put you on dealer referral, then there are plenty of other firms and then direct access.

Good luck:clover:

lots of the traders with our prop firm are scalpers and lots of them only watch the daily charts and the level2 with a tape.

I personally use 1m, 5m, 15m, daily, l2, tape.

I would say 1-5 min is scalping....i guess it depends on what you define as a scalp first.

I scalp, and i take 2 points on the es and i call it a scalp, so it depends really!

Most of the time i look at 4tick-8tick range bars

Scalping can be very profitable when you have a good broker. When you go only for a few ticks (pips) mostly broker will switch your account to manual execution which means lot of re quotes.

I have only started scalping, for something new to do. I trade the S&P500 emini futures and I try take 2 tics a day (4.04% ROI on contracts traded, after commissions). I have managed to do it succesfully every day for a week, which is an additional 20.02% ROI. Yes, not a big sample size - but if it continues it can add significantly to my monthly return, even taking a few losers into account. I only take a trade this way if I'm as sure as I can be that it will work out - either a definately trending or non-trending market. Anyway, I'm finding it a fun thing to do.