Recommend me a decent spread betting company..?

Spot on. I have confirmed this with my buddy at CMC markets. NO SB FIRM to his knowledge do FULL CREDIT CHECKS unless you want a credit facility. You have probably been refused because you aren't on the electoral roll. Or their office bod can't find you on the electoral roll.

Ceydababy , can spreadbetting firms know details about my accounts at other firms ?

Spot on. I have confirmed this with my buddy at CMC markets. NO SB FIRM to his knowledge do FULL CREDIT CHECKS unless you want a credit facility. You have probably been refused because you aren't on the electoral roll. Or their office bod can't find you on the electoral roll.

I worked at Cantor Index and we did a full Experian credit check on every account we opened.

I had a similar thing with Tradefair, so I told them to stick their account. They wanted verification of my address or some such crap.

The reason for the address checks are to confirm that you are not trying to bet form the United States where online betting is illegal. We had US traders trying to route their IP through different countries so they open accounts.

I think it was directors at Party Gaming who got charged because they were taking bets from the US. SO these days all SB firms take address verification very seriously.

two and a half grand!!!

hi stevenfreaken...2500 sounds a lot for a 2 day 'basics' course...i'm new to trading too and went on a 3 day trading course with 'teach me to trade' and it cost £350...even then i wondered whether i'd been ripped off as the seminar focused rather a lot on getting us to take further courses at outrageous prices...the info. they gave was good though and covered the kind of things you mention...
anyway, hope it goes well for you...
i've been doing a lot of extra reading and am just about to dip my toe into the water with some real trades!...yikes!!!...
good luck,
heather