Really need some good advice

Project100k

I graduated with a 2:2 master degree in physics (instead of a merit they gave me a 2:2 since it was a straight 4-year degree course). With that '2:2' on my cert, employers simply ignore the 'master' and the fact that both the uni and the subject are ranked in constant top 10.
Yea yea, I know physics covers a broad range of skills from maths, computing to technologies, research, etc etc.
However, application after application, I realized my 2:2 master with only a bit work experience will never be able to help me in securing any job in the current recession...

I am interested in the investment field and I know my uni qualification isn't enough to put me into a good investment firm. So recently I decided to gain more qualifications related to the field and hopefully that would open some more doors for me...
At the moment I am doing SII and IMC, and after that I want to go for CFA level 1.I know I need more work experience and I am willing to work unpaid just to gain more practical experience. But is that really a good choice??Even to work for a boiler room firm just to add some relevant work experience to my CV??
I would be really thankful if anyone could give me some advice, or if you are working in or know any good investment/ broker firm which needs a free hand please do leave a message.

be a be a physicist lol

just do CFA level 1 or master in finance.... and try not to get a 2.2 again

here's a clue: nobody in the real world gives a flying **** about your qualifications.
You'd have earned yourself more kudos joining the armed forces or getting a job.
The World doesn't owe you a living just cos you got pyssed and stoned for 4 years at tax payers expense

oh, good luck with that job thing ....

If your interested in Finanace and need a job - Work for yourself. Be a trader.

When that fails, as most do... Realise finanace wasn't for you and that you really should of started trading when you were younger.

When that becomes a reality, just open a coffee shop and try breakeven, have a nice wife and some kids and enjoy life.

When your wife dies, admit that you really sucked at life after all, and when you got that 2:2 you should of just seen it as a sign of how much you suck and decided you were meant to be a stunt driver, risking your pointless life rather than anything academic or business related.

k...bit harsh

I noticed no optimism or enthusiasm towards project there. Thought your comments were a bit harsh. Can't say I got a 2:2 but in a similar position with the work experience. There are people without degrees or even flopped at them (even **** subjects like Art) and still managed to get jobs for decent banks. As an entire newbie myself, might I ask what you all do and how you got there?

Many Thanks.

If your degree is equivalent to a masters + undergrad degree why dont you seperate the Master and BSc in your CV to highlight your masters.

e.g 2006-2007 MSc Physics
2003 - 2006 BSc 2.2 Physics

instead of 2003 - 2007 Master 2.2 Physics.

Also highlight experiences in your CV which demonstrate similar skills to those used in finance. e.g entreprenurial instinct, sold home-made ice cream at school to pay for holiday etc

Also why dont you volunteer to work at a firm for a couple of weeks for free. You will gain knowledge/experience/contacts.

Also utilise all your contacts.

Get the SII / IMC, then try for a job. CFA will be inefficient if you're not sponsored. If you wanna go that way good luck - it'll be worth something if you manage it. But I reckon it's hard without any practical knowledge of the industry - you have no context for the information you're being given. Plus since you only got a 2ii it's by no means certain you have either the intellectual capacity, the application / stamina or the exam technique to pass the CFA exams.

I was in a not disimilar position but the difference is I came down here 15 yers ago. Nowadays the choice of graduates is considerably wider, so, while Rathcoole may be right insofar as the people on the desks know that an extra 'i' on your undergrad degree cert doesnt make you George Soros, it's still true that general intelligance usually correlates with trading ability. And it also usually (but not always) correlates with academic grades. So using degree grade as a first filter when there are so many applicants is a total no-brainer for HR departments.

I wouldn't get a job these days if I started from scratch.

I'm sorry to say but srsly i do not know anyone with 2:2 could get in IB straight away. if you REALLY REALLY LOVE working for IB, do a master degree and get 90+/100% of the course then you may get a bit higher chance.

if you just want a finace job (not IB or any big trading firms), you can take CFA and apply for broker position or some positions in commerical bank.

other option, do CFA and to become a top physicist/engineer in a big international engineering firms. With ur CFA, you maybe able to internal transfer to the finance department and be in the management role. By then, IB will love to hire you at more senior level and you will receive gold everyday.

I graduated with a 2:2 master degree in physics (instead of a merit they gave me a 2:2 since it was a straight 4-year degree course). With that '2:2' on my cert, employers simply ignore the 'master' and the fact that both the uni and the subject are ranked in constant top 10.
Yea yea, I know physics covers a broad range of skills from maths, computing to technologies, research, etc etc.
However, application after application, I realized my 2:2 master with only a bit work experience will never be able to help me in securing any job in the current recession...

I am interested in the investment field and I know my uni qualification isn't enough to put me into a good investment firm. So recently I decided to gain more qualifications related to the field and hopefully that would open some more doors for me...
At the moment I am doing SII and IMC, and after that I want to go for CFA level 1.I know I need more work experience and I am willing to work unpaid just to gain more practical experience. But is that really a good choice??Even to work for a boiler room firm just to add some relevant work experience to my CV??
I would be really thankful if anyone could give me some advice, or if you are working in or know any good investment/ broker firm which needs a free hand please do leave a message.

Who do you know? Who does your dad know? Are you going into this blind? You can bet the old boy network is alive and well....having a degree means jack on it's own...they say that real education starts when you leave school...i'd hurry up and leave if I were you !

Hi i am also interested in pursuing a career in stockbroking or hedge funds, how would i go about this. I have qualifications in retail investments, financial advisors certificates etc and am now about to start a home study course in a degree in business finance through ics, is this the way to go about it ? Is this the right course ?? Any ideas ? I know a degree doesnt do it on its own but hopefully it will get me through the door for a interview then up to me to sell myself i suppose ?

The World doesn't owe you a living just cos you got pyssed and stoned for 4 years at tax payers expense

If he really did do it in the UK at the taxpayer's expense, he deserves at least kudos for initiative, cos with no grants these days and fees, my kids had to pay their own way.