Raising money for injured British servicemen/women

shadowninja

Legendary member
I hope this isn't breaking any rules on the forum.

For the last month, I have been trying to organise a Christmas collection for the guys and girls at Headley Court via the Pistonheads.com sportscar forum.

Headley Court is the home of the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre. Their aim is to return those who have been injured or who are seriously ill to full physical fitness and back to duty in the shortest possible time. It is also the Services Amputee Section.

The reason for the collection was to show some appreciation for the sacrifices they have made for us and our country (there has been a lot of negative press suggesting that the British public do not support them).

The money will be going to Help for Heroes (Help for Heroes - A charity for the wounded in Britain’s current conflicts), a charity set up to support injured service personnel. They will then re-distribute the funds to Headley Court and the money will be used to buy gifts that would be appreciated there (namely Nintendo Wiis and laptops). Any extra donations will be used as appropriate by Help for Heroes.

If you would like to support the cause then please visit this page: Justgiving - PHers for Headley Fundraising Page

Thanks for your support.

-Darren :)

PS if you disagree with any aspect of this, please can you start another thread.

For the last month, I have been trying to organise a Christmas collection for the guys and girls at Headley Court via the Pistonheads.com sportscar forum.

Headley Court is the home of the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre. Their aim is to return those who have been injured or who are seriously ill to full physical fitness and back to duty in the shortest possible time. It is also the Services Amputee Section.

The reason for the collection was to show some appreciation for the sacrifices they have made for us and our country (there has been a lot of negative press suggesting that the British public do not support them).

The money will be going to Help for Heroes (Help for Heroes - A charity for the wounded in Britain’s current conflicts), a charity set up to support injured service personnel. They will then re-distribute the funds to Headley Court and the money will be used to buy gifts that would be appreciated there (namely Nintendo Wiis and laptops). Any extra donations will be used as appropriate by Help for Heroes.

If you would like to support the cause then please visit this page: Justgiving - PHers for Headley Fundraising Page

Thanks for your support.

PS if you disagree with any aspect of this, please can you start another thread.

Definitely a worthy cause. I donated on their web-site a couple of days ago.
Shame on our Government for not looking after them better.

This poem was written by a peace-keeping soldier stationed overseas:-
ITS CHRISTMAS DAY ALL IS SECURE

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS HE LIVED ALL ALONE
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE
I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE
AND TO SEE JUST WHO IN THIS HOME DID LIVE

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE
NO TINSEL NO PRESENTS NOT EVEN A TREE
NO STOCKING BY THE MANTLE JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES OF FAR DISTANT LANDS
WITH MEDALS AND BADGES AWARDS OF ALL KINDS
A SOBER THOUGHT CAME THROUGH MY MIND

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT IT WAS DARK AND DREARY
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY
THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING SILENT ALONE
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER
NOT HOW I PICTURED A LONE BRITISH SOLDIER
WAS THIS THE HERO OF WHOM I'D JUST READ
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO THE FLOOR FOR A BED

I REALISED THE FAMILIES THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT
SOON ROUND THE WORLD THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY

THEY ALL ENJOY FREEDOM EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE
I COULDN'T HELP WONDER HOW MANY ALONE
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME

THE VERY THOUGH BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES AND STARTED TO CRY
THE SOLDIER AWAKENED AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE
'SANTA DON'T CRY THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE
I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM I DON'T ASK FOR MORE
MY LIFE IS MY GOD, MY COUNTRY. MY CORPS'

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP
I COULDN'T CONTROL IT I CONTINUED TO WEEP

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS SO SILENT AND STILL
AND WE BOTH SAT AND SHIVERED FROM THE COLD NIGHTS CHILL
I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE ON THAT COLD DARK NIGHT
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOUR SO WILLING TO FIGHT

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE
WHISPERED 'CARRY ON SANTA ITS CHRISTMAS DAY ALL IS SECURE'
ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT
'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT'

-------------------------------------------------

THE FOLLOWING IS HIS REQUEST, I THINK IT IS REASONABLE.

PLEASE WOULD YOU DO ME THE KIND FAVOUR OF SENDING THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN

CHRISTMAS WILL BE COMING SOON AND SOME CREDIT IS DUE TO OUR BRITISH SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN FOR OUR BEING ABLE TO CELEBRATE THESE FESTIVITIES.
LETS TRY IN THIS SMALL WAY TO PAY A TINY BIT BACK OF WHAT WE OWE!

Glenn

Well done shadow, im sure the service men and women this fund goes to will be very thankful.

Makes you think how our boys and gals are treated with such contempt by a government thats so willing to commit our armed forces to any battle, yet not give them the thanks and the support they deserve and which they should rightfully get.

T2W members lets get on this site which shadowninja has setup and put a few pounds in each. Im half cut after just getting in and its really easy to use.

I hope this thread gets a lotta hits and a lot of donations to a good cause.

Merry Christmas to you all

Ged

Thanks for your support.

While you're sitting having Christmas dinner and mince pies or slumped in a comfy chair having a drink, remember how lucky you are compared to some.
It's too easy to become complacent about others suffering, but when they have suffered for their country they deserve extra respect imho.

BBC NEWS | UK | Injured soldier back home for Christmas
Will this guy ever be able to trade like you ? What's he doing now while you are doing what you are doing ? This could be your son or your Dad.

So come on you people who are willing to chuck their money away at the markets, or the few who actually make money - give some of it where it will really do some good.
These injured soldiers have done their bit for you - now do yours for them !

Merry Christmas everyone.
Glenn

Last edited:
I've already supported these guys via the Sunday Times appeal.
It makes me want to puke that the government won't even find the peanuts to provide the right facitities for them.
Some of them have more courage in their little fingers than Gordon Brown and all his hangers-on put together.