Position Sizing

just watched it, really good...i actually use mirus myself and this is one of many great seminars.

i would love to use 10% fixed fractional but don't feel its realistic due to volatility and the mindset required. They all had advantages and disadvantages but i guess the optimal f and 5 fixed fractional are the postion sizing techniques i will take from this webinar so thanks for posting it.

What are your views are the postion sizing techniques he discussed? as he never really recommended any particular type?

Magic of compounding

just watched it, really good...i actually use mirus myself and this is one of many great seminars.

i would love to use 10% fixed fractional but don't feel its realistic due to volatility and the mindset required. They all had advantages and disadvantages but i guess the optimal f and 5 fixed fractional are the postion sizing techniques i will take from this webinar so thanks for posting it.

What are your views are the postion sizing techniques he discussed? as he never really recommended any particular type?

jayjay

I am currently using the position size code provided by Grey1 and Glenn.

I have posted the ELA text below for convenience. I would say that this falls under the Constant Volatility section of Fixed Equity position sizing.

Like you I am attracted to the Optimal F and I daresay that there is code on the Tradestation site based around this concept. I would say that the speaker did more or less recommend a Fractional F approach - fractional F being a fraction of optimal F. His last slides on the Magic of compounding clearly showed their 10% fixed fractional as a very feasible technique.

Perhaps if I mention that this slide illustrated a starting amount of $10,000 providing a total return of $1,632,408 after 4 years it will get members rushing to view the presentation :LOL:

Anyway it's something that warrants further investigation.

Charlton

[LegacyColorValue = true];

{Calculates position size based upon Fixed Percentage (1% of Capital) Money Management stop-loss
Capital = X, Fixed Percentage = X/100.
Say Capital = $120,000 based on 4x margin allowed, and FIxed Percentage = 1
Money Management Stop = $120,000 *( 1/ 100) = $1200.

Use the ATR(14) in each timeframe to calculate the Position size:-
e.g.
10 minute ATR(14) = $1.00
Position Size = MM Stop / ATR = $1200 / 1.00 = 1200 shares.

******* For Day-trading or Scalping using 10 min INDU cycle, set the Data Compression of this indicator to 10 minutes.
******* For Swing Trading, set the Data Comperssion to Daily}

Inputs:
Capital(0), {e.g. 120000 means $120,000}
FixedPercent(0), {e.g. 1 means 1 percent}
BASKET(0), {e.g. 3 means calculate position size assuming that you are taking 3 positions at once}
MaximumShares(0); {e.g. 1200 Shares.This is to ensure that non-volatile (Low ATR)stocks are not used for Scalping or Day-Trading.
Position Size will show 0 (zero)and Magenta backgound if the calculated Size is greater than the MaxShares}
Variables:
MMStop(0),
PSize(0);

MMStop = (Capital * (FixedPercent/100))/(BASKET);
Psize = (MMStop / (AvgTrueRange(14)));
If Psize <= Maximumshares then begin
Plot1(Psize,"Size");
Setplotbgcolor(1,black);
End;
If Psize > MaximumShares then begin
Psize = 0;
Setplotbgcolor(1,magenta);