Platforms

ki6ania

Dear Friends,
I would like to know, which platforms do you preffer, and possibly with reasons, I want to chose on which platform to trade.
I used MetaTrader, it's not bad actualy... I did't like the internet based platforms, they don't seem secure, but I would love to know your oppinion!

Thanks!

Ki6ania,

Metatrader is the best free platform out there. there are some better platforms thann metatrader but then they have monthly charges. metatrader has got almost all of the technical indicators and one can also program auto trading experts. metatrader's programming is not hard to understand. i think you should stick with it.

Regards,
BearBullTrader

It depends on what you wish to trade but as a general platform IB is difficult to beat unless you have specific needs such as wishing to trade US stocks using Level II direct access.

Paul

I wonder if all these companies are trying to 'leverage their platform' :)

Trader333 said:
It depends on what you wish to trade but as a general platform IB is difficult to beat unless you have specific needs such as wishing to trade US stocks using Level II direct access.

Paul

Velocity Futures commissions for EUREX look cheaper than IB's. Any reason why nobody's mentioned them?

Secondly, CQG looks much better than Sierra. Is it significantly more expensive for an individual than the USD120 that Sierra charge per year for their software?

Velocity Futures commissions for EUREX look cheaper than IB's. Any reason why nobody's mentioned them?

Probably not as well known as IB I guess.

Paul

scotty_dog said:

Secondly, CQG looks much better than Sierra. Is it significantly more expensive for an individual than the USD120 that Sierra charge per year for their software?
Once a commision reaches a certain price, unless you're huge, its not going to make much difference. I have heard the name before but can't recall anything being said about them so it was probably just an advert.

CQG is a premium service. http://www.cqg.com/default.aspx?PageId=1197&LanguageId=1000

I use Sierrachart, IB, and ZeroLineTrader. Button trader is also highly recommended but a bit pricier.

Kiwi said:
Once a commision reaches a certain price, unless you're huge, its not going to make much difference. I have heard the name before but can't recall anything being said about them so it was probably just an advert.

CQG is a premium service. http://www.cqg.com/default.aspx?PageId=1197&LanguageId=1000

I use Sierrachart, IB, and ZeroLineTrader. Button trader is also highly recommended but a bit pricier.

Thanks Kiwi.

I'll investigate those options further.

Just had a look at the Button Trader website. The firm offers real time simulation trading, which maybe of interest for other would-be traders. A live IB account is not apparently required for this.

http://www.buttontrader.com/index.asp?page=8

I find IB easy to get along with although I have had a few hic-cups along the way, and I use Worden TC for charting. Worden had a special price for a year in advance that worked out to 12 months for the price of 8 for the gold service,manually updating prices with a 20 min lag.

I only trade US stocks, would like to know others opinions on chart software, I only used free charts before subscribing, they ticked me off with interuptions and ads.

Last edited:
I often like using Wall Street Analyser for viewing candlestick charts, because it's freeware and needs no signup. Though it takes till over 4 hours after the US market closes until I can get an update for the day, and when I try to put the data in manually, it never works. Has some nice basic indicators and systems builders/testers.