Pivot Calculations on Continuation Charts

Papa Lazarou

Hi all,

I am programming my trading / charting system to plot pivot points. However, I am not sure what to do on rollover day / week?

When April Rolls into May on a continuation chart, do you think I should be plotting:

Daily pivots using yesterdays April candle or yesterdays May candle? This only causes a potential issue for one day, as from then onwards "yesterday's" candle will always be a 'May' candle.

The bigger issue comes when we apply this to the weekly pivots. For one week I could either look at April Pivots based on May flat price, or move straight onto May Pivots on roll over?

My head is telling me I should roll the calculations to look back at May data from the instant I choose to rollover, as although historically the data on the chart will largely be that of April, the price action occuring will be in the May contract and therefore will respect May pivots more?

I don't think equalizing the data is right as pivots tend to be self fulfilling and therefore most people will be looking at basic April / May / continuation charts?....

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks
Papa.