Personality Species

efficiency

In the interest of self-awareness, the predator/prey scenario, the Pareto principle, and provide a little levity, forthwith is a list of investor and trader "classifications". We ALL fall into at least one category.

1. ETERNAL OPTIMISTS: Can't lose and IF losing, doesn't cut their losses. Pride in the buy and hold and long term investor concepts.

2. HYPERACTIVE: In and out with no NET progress. Addicted to random returns. Cultivated by discount brokerages.

3. PLUNGERS: Everything into ONE position. Eh...... less than a smooth equity curve.

4. GROUPIE: Buys WHAT well-known people are supposedly buying. In the US, Warren Buffett comes to mind.

5. PRUDENT: Execution governed EVERY step of the way. Trigger often isn't pulled. Late entries. Selling too soon. Not enough position size to capitalize when one is correct.

6. EDUCATED FOOL: Bound to THEORY but limited in practice. This may include redundant indicators. Using (5) different oscillators may basically tell the "same" thing.

7. HEDGER: Not to make money to preserve capital OR avoid paying tax.

8. TAG-A-LONG: "I'll buy WHATEVER you're buying". This would include getting "advice" from message boards or television shills.

9. MARKET MASOCHIST: Someone to BLAME, such as the evil short sellers or the government.

10. CONTRARIAN: And contrary for JUST the sake of being contrary. Not necessarily wrong, but often very early. A stock's too high, it must go down.

11. SERENDIPITY: Bought the bank stock BECAUSE the tellers are nice. Yesssssssss, there are people like this.

12. GREATER FOOLS: AFTER the fact. The proverbial bagholders. Each share is always owned by someone. They provide a necessary function in the distribution of paper. Weinstein's stage 4.

13. TRENDY: Owns/buys what is in FASHION. Microsoft comes to mind.

14. INSIDERS: Has the proverbial brother-in-law that KNOWS something, but not enough.

15. EGOTIST: Takes more satisfaction from being RIGHT than from adding to their equity.

16. SCALPER: Takes advantage of MOB psychology and doesn't over-stay the party. Repetition and familiarity. Helps to have a floor seat to minimize transaction costs.

17. KAMIKAZEE: EXTREME version of #3, the plunger. Can you say fully margined?

18. OPINION HUNTER: The MAJORITY knows best and their is safety in numbers. Basic herd instinct. This may include the opening hour and feeling left out. Opposite of #10, the Contrarian.

No doubt, you the reader can think of some more (which is another reason why I typed this). I'd like to be aware of those I haven't pondered.

19.The Strategist...just wants to recognise numbers 1..18 to be in their pocket.

chump said:
19.The Strategist...just wants to recognise numbers 1..18 to be in their pocket.
Yes, quite.....as usual Chumpy, very well put.:cheesy:

A couple of pithy answers. Not that much of a surprise. And.........not too constructive.

The fact of the matter is , a good portion of what I read on this fourm, is non-sense.

Let's see, dream interpretation????? Well, hell, what about osmosis?

Once again, each and every present and former participant in this forum conforms to at least one (and often several) categories. For example, the fascination with indicators, as well as switching from one indicator, to another, then to another, would suggest the educated fool with a touch of hyperactive.. Apparently there are some Brett Steenbarger and Mark Douglas groupies. Everyone has losses, but there is NO excuse for large losses (nor having their hand held about it). A touch of masochist. Getting my points?

Wooooooooosh, it went right over your head, didn't it?

A whopping 2700 posts in a mere 2 years is a reflection of .........something Socrate;. but, I highly doubt "it's" consistent and abundant profitability. Perhaps adhere to #15?

Standard bolierplate BS to repeatedly cut & paste? And........... you're amazed? Does "it" reflect peristent cries for attention, or merely a troll?

Last edited:
"The fact of the matter is , a good portion of what I read on this fourm, is non-sense."

Correct , but it was your choice to add to it. There's more navel gazing goes on in trading than can be found in a turkish brothel ;) whatever happened to just do it and learn from it which some of us call experience !

There's little that's non-sensical about it. And rather than "add" to the nonsense, I was hoping for some expansion. Unfortunately, hope as a four letter word ,is being reinforced.

As far as non-sense goes, both "chump" and "legendary" promote the flavor..........oops......excuse me, flavour.