Nasdaq: beginner's question :)

Roberto

Experienced member
I thought I'd easily find the answer to this, but the more I look at it, the more confused I get.

Please can someobdy tell me the difference between these:

The Nasdaq Index
The Nasdaq Composite Index (same thing as the above?)
The Nasdaq 100 Index
The Nasdaq 100 trust

At yahoo, something called "nasdaq 100" with the symbol ^qxv is currently about 35.
Also at yahoo, something else also called "nasdaq 100" with the symbol ^ndx is currently about 1438.
There's also a "nasdaq index" which is about 1928 but I can't find the symbol for it - does anyone know?

So there are at least 3 of these things, but which is which, and what are they?

(A quick visit to www.nasdaq.com has not answered these very basic questions!)

Roberto

Check out http://finance.yahoo.com/indices?u and look at the Nasdaq section. This shows the Nasdaq, Nasdaq Market Composite and the Nasdaq 100 plus other Nasdaq specific indices.

Look at http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cp?s=^NDX for the components of the Nasdaq 100. News headlines are talking about Nasdaq futures being at 1428.50 so it is the Nasdaq 100 which people tend to follow. NDX is the top 100 stocks on the Nasdaq and I assume the composite is all stocks on the Nasdaq. Unsure of the difference between the composite and markey composite.

HTH

Stew

Thanks for that ...

Yes, the ^ndx is the top 100 hundred stocks, and the Nasdaq Composite is all 4,000 odd listed stocks, I think. But what's the third one? And what's the symbol for it?

Roberto said:
Thanks for that ...

Yes, the ^ndx is the top 100 hundred stocks, and the Nasdaq Composite is all 4,000 odd listed stocks, I think. But what's the third one? And what's the symbol for it?

Roberto, which one are you unsure of ?

IXIC Market Composite
NDX Nasdaq 100
IXQ National Market Composite

Or are you asking about the Trust one ?

Stew

I think that what I'm asking is to what extent the Nasdaq Trust mirrors the Nasdaq 100 index. In other words, does the one that's quoted as being 35 or 36 or something mirror exactly the one that's quoted as being 1450 or something? :)

Roberto said:
I think that what I'm asking is to what extent the Nasdaq Trust mirrors the Nasdaq 100 index. In other words, does the one that's quoted as being 35 or 36 or something mirror exactly the one that's quoted as being 1450 or something? :)

Have you got price data for the trust index ? I couldn't find it on Yahoo. If you have plot the ratio of one divided by the other and see how it varies over time ?

Stew