metastock developer's kit

silviaic

Hiya,

Has anyone here got the developer's kit for metastock? I sent a request to equis and I'm still waiting for the reply. I program in C/C++, and I'd like to know how those of you who have this kit are doing, and other details such as how much does it cost, if the license took too long, etc. I'd like to have it to develop my own tools, just for personal use.
Thanks a lot,

Silvia

Yep,
didn't take all that long to get the 'read only' version of the license, but they turned down my request to upgrade to the write version. (They - presumably accidentally - sent me the manual for the write version when I updated to V8 from 7.2, so at least I can see what I'm missing!)
They wanted a business plan and so on from me, so if you haven't done that yet the deal is going to be (approx):-
Send in a business plan, tell them how many customers you have/expect.
Either own current M'stock, or buy it along with the SDK.
Tell them why letting you have the SDK is a good idea - specifically 'what's in it for Equis?'

... I vaguely recall paying a few hundred bucks for it, maybe $3-500? (Can't remember exactly - it's about 2 yrs back and my accountant has the receipt currently), I also bought Metastock 8 at the time so I can't recall the exact brekdown of the price. To get the update from SDK 7.2 to SDK 8 I had to update MS8 to 9... so be ready to shell out $1-200 a pop p.a. to stay current.

Developing for yourself - I suspect they'll be okay with that, provided you only want the 'read' version that lets you load M'stock dat files... you need the write version to save data as DAT format, and they seem to be tight about okaying that, presumably becuase it woul allow people to write converters that would make Reuters datafeed redundant....

Dave

Thanks!

Thanks Dave!

Well, I'm still waiting for their reply :| . What are the differences between the two versions? I thought it was a little bit weird that you can program with a 'read only' version, but it seems it is possible :) . So, what do they call 'write'? Is it all bout data? Does the manual show big differences between the two versions? I don't have a business, so I suppose I don't apply for the write version.
I was just thinking about it, may be you know. In this book about trading systems by kauffman, he gives examples in omega programming language, which seems to be the one that tradestation uses. It seemed to me that in this case it is straight forward, and you don't need to go for a developer's kit. Tradestation is real time, and for the moment I'm in eod, but eventually I'll switch to real time, and if metastock keeps being so hard about programming, I'd consider switching to tradestation. Do you know anything about it?
Thanks a lot for your reply, I hope the 'read only' version with the 'write also' manual doesn't take too long to arrive :D

Silvia.

Hi Silvia,
the write version is really read+write, it lets you create Metastock folders, write datafiles to it, merge datafiles and so forth whilst the read version lets you open the folders and read the data from them... think of it as a database handling program where one lets you extract info and the other lets you extract, merge, rearrange and write data. The devkit contains several tools, the MSFL which I've centred on here, then there's a part for modifying the program - adding toolbar buttons, menu items etc.
The MSX (external functions) API lets you program new ideas in C++ etc and then get Metastock to run them, and there's also a DDE server application.

Omega - no. I'd think about the 'whole package', if you intend to move into RT then lots of programs allow you to develop your own ideas - I've played a little with esignal's EFS tool for example, which is a Java like language that allows you to add indicators of your own divising, program routines to find chart setups, and so on. If you look at Tech Analysis of Stocks and Commodities at all you'll find loads of code sections in there, showing how somebody has thought some idea up and the result is coded up for use in different languages.
For EoD you can do bits and pieces in a few programs also - many programs allow at least some sort of scanner type building to be done.

Dave

A few years ago, the Metastock Developer's Kit (read only) cost me US$299. I mainly used it to write a few DLLs to get around limitations of the metastock formula language.

Cheers,
RIchard.

Is it possible to get a copy of the maual to see what it can do before spending money on it?
Cheers

Silvia,
If the purpose of owning the kit is to help you trade Forex for a living; then you do not need it... trust me.

Your raw input is HLC and there is only a few true ways of manipulating these numbers before
you begin "reinventing the wheel"
If you require the kit for reasons other than Trading for a profit ... please ignore this message.

Ian

Novice,
I doubt it - Equis run you through various hoops before supplying the kit, and the manual varies from around 80 pages (A5 spiral bound) to just over 100, depending on version. If you want to add your own buttons to the toolbars and control your own routines, or want to extract the data to a program of your own devising, then it's of use. For the vast majority of users the SDK isn't going to be much use I'd suggest - it's really for people wanting to add to what already exists, who simply can't build an exploration or whatever to do the job.

You need the read-write version of the MDK to do realtime data.

According to the Equis forums, they haven't licensed a read-write MDK for years since they prefer to do their own realtime data and not have competitors in this space.

Perhaps consider something like AmiBroker where DDE integration is easier?

Metastock dde server

THANKS RICHARD

I recieved ur email and thanks for cooperation, are u know any one who help me to use dde server with metastock, or he send me some information about to real time use of metastock with dde