Mark Douglas on Emotionless Trading

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,953 1,260
I don't know why this thread was resurrected after three months, but in answer to the question "how [do] you change your mental structure in a pragmatic way? How do you effective embrace fully that responsibility? By doing what? How do you shift your mental structure?", I suggest that those who are interested look at either my "Developing A Plan" (see my signature) or Tim's "Trading Plan Template" (see his signature).

If one reviews what he has for a plan objectively and notes words like "may," "might," "could," "should," "ought to," "hope," "think," and the most-often-recurring "feel", then he should perhaps review his testing procedures in order to determine just how rigorous they are.

Db

Fugazsy

Veteren member
3,661 677
I disagree. And so would, I assume, Douglas. But no purpose is served by arguing about it, anymore than there is any point to arguing about the existence of a Zen state.

Money management and risk management must of course be part of the plan. Otherwise it's not much of a plan.

Going back to what I said in my article, the chief question when one examines his fears is what exactly it is that he's afraid of. If one doesn't know, he should stop trading, or postpone starting, until he knows the answer. If he doesn't, he will go on month after month, year after year, and never make any progress toward his goals, unless of course his goals are to trade without profit.

Db

Well...in that case Douglas had not much of a plan.....

No sure what article you talk about....I probably missed that, my fault.

Knowing or trying to understand what you are afraid of is futile exercise in my view, this is were you can really be trapped for 50 years between mirrors of concepts created by your own perception or influenced by others. There is nothing to understand at the conceptual level unless you have a tendency to sadism.

This is not about the Zen state, this is about common sense State, emotions are an essential part of us and they need to be felt otherwise you leave behind a great part of you.

It is life pulsing and calling you for some real action.

Yes, they are not comfortable to bring forward but that is what it is all about, getting out of the comfort zone.....to grow.

Said that, with time they become less uncomfortable and they became only a great opportunity.

Db, I am sorry it seems we do not agree on anything, probably one day we will (you never know your luck), in the mean time I wish you and you family the best for the New Year.

Last edited:

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,953 1,260
Well...in that case Douglas had not much of a plan.....

You must have missed #4: "I act on my edges without reservation or hesitation." You may want to review what he means by "edges" and how to go about developing them.

No sure what article you talk about....I probably missed that, my fault

The article I wrote on fear. I'll provide the link again: *click*

Knowing or trying to understand what you are afraid of is futile exercise in my view, this is were you can really be trapped for 50 years between mirrors of concepts created by your own perception or influenced by others. There is nothing to understand at the conceptual level unless you have a tendency to sadism.

What we believe to be impossible will be impossible for ourselves, but that doesn't mean that it will be impossible for everyone. If one does not address one's fears, particularly the causes of them, they will not evaporate on their own, and the trader will waste years trying to "control" them.

One has a choice, then, between short-term, acute pain, and long-term if not perpetual chronic pain. The former choice can lead to an emotionless state and consistent profits, assuming one develops an edge. The latter choice does not. The latter instead leads to years of trying.

I wish you and you family the best for the New Year.

Ditto.

Db

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock