Make High Probability Trades With Bollinger Bands

Miki256

Invented in the 1980s by John Bollinger, the Bollinger Bands is one of the mainly used technical indicators in the world of trading. However, its interpretation and power exceeds the standard use in breakout signals. In this article I will show you how you can create profits with simple set-ups and enhance the quality of your trades.

Method no. 1: Support and Resistance
Above all, Bollinger Bands serve as support and resistance.
By defining the lower and upper bounds of price, the bands serve as limits of the price activity - often better than the standard chartists methods. An easy way to incorporate the bands into your trading is to cross-verify trades. For example: Price is touching support and beginning uptrend. A touch at the lower band implies a higher probability of success (Fig. 1). Consequently, if price touched support but it is distant from the bands, most likely it is not a strong support and the trade is likely to fai.
The Bollinger Bands can also be a great place to put stop losses to avoid being cought in stop-hunting events as fakeouts.

Fig. 1: Signal at support is intensified using Lower Band

Method no. 2: Volatility and The 'Squeeze' Trade
Bollinger Bands can also give us a vivid view on the volatility of the market. Bands that are distant indicate a volatile market in which price moves significantly. Bands that are closed together indicate a period of low volatility. A period in which bands are highly closed (Fig. 2) is called a "Squeeze". As we know, market fluctuates from periods of high volatility and movement (trend) to periods of low volatility (range). A breakout of the squeeze usually results in a very strong trend, giving us highly profitable oppertunities.

Fig. 2: The Squeeze and its Result

After a squeeze is identified, one can enter in 2 techniques: Go long\short in the direction of the breakout. This is a simple entry and is profitable. The second technique is for safer and higher-quality trades: Wait for price to touch the Bollinger Moving Average and bounce off to enter. In this way the trades waits for pullback which enhances the trade.

Method no. 3: Identify Ranges and Trends Correctly
Bollinger Bands have one more function, which is very useful and critical to day-traders. The bands can determine whether the prices are in range or in trend. This is done using a simple tool - the Moving Average. The middle band can determine trends and ranges easily - if it is flat, we are at a ranging period. If the middle band is trendy (points to a direction), we are in the middle of trend.
This can enhance your trades in many ways. Examples: Price is near support and you are waiting for signal. If the middle band indicats trending period, it is less likely the price will stop at that level. However, all support\resistance bounces will work better in a ranging period. If middle band is flat, expect price to bounce off support and resistance continously.

Fig. 3: Moving Average defines Trending\Ranging periods

I hope you found this article helpful, Bollinger Bands are a great tool and if used correctly can enhance your trades and increase your profits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Invented in the 1980s by John Bollinger, the Bollinger Bands is one of the mainly used technical indicators in the world of trading.

Thanks very clear. I am new to trading. I am using MA 7, 50, 200 is this correct?
Also I found Stohastics 7/14 and MACD 8/3/3 very useful . Are these periods correct when using 1 minute charts? My success is 6P/4L but my problem my losses exceed profits . I started trading since September with 1 or 2 pips and found taking small profits 3-5 pips at a time is far more profitable than wait for 10-20 pips. The last 2 weeks I have created a profit since I started taking smaller profits
making from 10 - 65 euros per day. But.I have a lot to learn as my total losses are running to 2000 euros as I had a big hit from my long Dec Vodafone almost 800 when Sold half and still have 100 points (Dec) which soon I have to sell and currently losing 700 euros.....
So in a sense my day trading only lost 500 euros...whichI thnk is not bad for a beginner especially as I lost the 400 eu on 3 stupid trades when I went against the trend.. Any ideas how to manage risk?

Bollinger certainly never did anything for me..you say it provides support/resistance, so why then does the band rise? Because it isn't providing resistance, and price is rising. Which contradicts what you mentioned. And then your example 1 shows where it worked, but not where it didn't which is the next time it reached your support area. Didn't work then either.
Ergo. Bollinger like any other indicator seems to work sometimes, but not others making it great for picking out amazing coincidences, but not a great tool to trade off.
Coincidently a quick look at your blog and your charts don't have bollinger bands on them. i wonder why:confused:

Bollinger is an indicator of volatility.If you trade like me picking 3-5 pips just before it reaches the boundaries then it works.You must also watch the Stochastics and MACD .All 3 give you a good indicator together with the japanese candle stick signs. However I need to improve my profitability by controlling the risk . Where it did not work as you say Malaguti it was a break down so you let your sell running instead of stopping it.In my case I would have stopped just before it reached the lower resistance line.

Can somebody tell me who provides the closest spreads on Forex? I use Ig index but the spreads alter from 0.8 to 2.5 pips on EUD/USD.

Bollinger is an indicator of volatility.If you trade like me picking 3-5 pips just before it reaches the boundaries then it works.You must also watch the Stochastics and MACD .All 3 give you a good indicator together with the japanese candle stick signs. However I need to improve my profitability by controlling the risk . Where it did not work as you say Malaguti it was a break down so you let your sell running instead of stopping it.In my case I would have stopped just before it reached the lower resistance line.

wow, thats now 3 different indicators..good luck with that approach. None of them give me a good indication, just the price will tell me what its doing
we are trading completely different but then you did say your losses were running at 2000euros. Time for a change of plan perchance?
try trading with no indictors, much much better. To have to rely on an indicator to tell you suport/resistance or even volatility is not for me.
good luck though

Bollinger Bands are derived from price action and are based on 20 bars on average, therefore they move after 20 bars average changes which is behind the price action. As a result Bollinger Bands is pretty on a chart but is after the move.

Price action is what these indicators are derived from........ price action is the indicator to pay attention to.

Trend lines are very helpful, many of them, long and short, above and below the price bars, they will show expansion and contraction and tune you into the price action.

Reliance on indicators is working against yourself.

Bollinger certainly never did anything for me..you say it provides support/resistance, so why then does the band rise? Because it isn't providing resistance, and price is rising. Which contradicts what you mentioned. And then your example 1 shows where it worked, but not where it didn't which is the next time it reached your support area. Didn't work then either.
Ergo. Bollinger like any other indicator seems to work sometimes, but not others making it great for picking out amazing coincidences, but not a great tool to trade off.
Coincidently a quick look at your blog and your charts don't have bollinger bands on them. i wonder why:confused:

Like the cop on Dragnet--"Just gimme the facts, ma'am!"

Fact. Bollingers work off an average

Fact. Bollingers indicate a standard deviation of price against that average. Therefore, 2 SDs indicate that the probability of price returning to that average are good.

But what if that average is rising strongly or, if the average and TF is low so as to give a whipsaw effect?

The price could go sideways until it reaches the average and, then, go up again, so a short trade comes to nothing, In fact, that trade could end up a loss. How much of a loss depends on the trader.

I use them with a lot of discretion because they indicate to me an over bought/sold situation and, like all things, they do end up as losses, sometimes.

I find them useful with something else, especially bar action, which works better in overbought/sold situations than I think it does in the middle of the range.