June FTSE Settlement

"Ha Ha Ha - all is finally revealed - just another one of mad old Alberts bull**** boneheads sticking their snout in."

Edit by mod - the post from which this quote has been taken has since been deleted.

The profound depth of your rudeness and ignorance coupled with the the narrowness of your insight no longer astonish me . You are quite unable to sustain your end of this debate without resorting to the sort of language typical in the posts you scatter about.

The true point at issue here is that the rules of engagement were changed after lengthy public consultation and publicity. The changed rules offered new opportunities for some and these opportunities were seized on. This resulted in a profit to some and a loss to others. The people in profit are not complaining but the losers are - and endlessly. You are not the first person in the world to make losses in trading and you will not be the last. I have made losses in my trading journey but have never complained about them as I believe that my losses are my responsibility.

In an earlier post (#36) I talked about evolutionary development but the post was not understood and was rubbished. Evolution is extremely relevant to the markets as they change constantly. Traders are in a situation where only the fittest and those who can best adapt to changing conditions survive. The point I have been trying to make in this thread is that it is essential to have all the necessary knowledge before entering the arena in the first place. This falls on deaf ears.

Now I gave up posting once before due to similar rudeness and narrow minded ignorance. After an absence of a year I thought that, due to the expansion of numbers of members and more rigorous moderating, things may have changed. I am saddened to find they have not. I am not the first poster to leave the site totally disillusioned with the quality of thought exhibited and I am sure I will not be the last.

Rognvald said:
"Ha Ha Ha - all is finally revealed - just another one of mad old Alberts bull**** boneheads sticking their snout in."

The profound depth of your rudeness and ignorance coupled with the the narrowness of your insight no longer astonish me . You are quite unable to sustain your end of this debate without resorting to the sort of language typical in the posts you scatter about.

The true point at issue here is that the rules of engagement were changed after lengthy public consultation and publicity. The changed rules offered new opportunities for some and these opportunities were seized on. This resulted in a profit to some and a loss to others. The people in profit are not complaining but the losers are - and endlessly. You are not the first person in the world to make losses in trading and you will not be the last. I have made losses in my trading journey but have never complained about them as I believe that my losses are my responsibility.

In an earlier post (#36) I talked about evolutionary development but the post was not understood and was rubbished. Evolution is extremely relevant to the markets as they change constantly. Traders are in a situation where only the fittest and those who can best adapt to changing conditions survive. The point I have been trying to make in this thread is that it is essential to have all the necessary knowledge before entering the arena in the first place. This falls on deaf ears.

Now I gave up posting once before due to similar rudeness and narrow minded ignorance. After an absence of a year I thought that, due to the expansion of numbers of members and more rigorous moderating, things may have changed. I am saddened to find they have not. I am not the first poster to leave the site totally disillusioned with the quality of thought exhibited and I am sure I will not be the last.
This was an intelligent and constructive board until you and your loony associate Albert decided to weigh in with your supercillious and smart ass comments. If you choose to behave like that then you will only provoke derison.

You comment about losers is typical. The EDSP rules were changed and have subsequently been manipulated to produce a distorted result. The Exchanges recognise this and consequently have launched an investigation. In the meantime they have already amended the rules to try and reduce the risk of it recurring in the meantime.

Most people who trade Options understand the risks and accept losses philosophically when the markets move against them. This was not the case in June where the EDSP was 50pts away from the market on expiry. Traders caught by this have a legitimate grievance and every right to protest and the Exchanges acknowledge this. It is not a case of "endless complaining by losers" as you describe it.

The risk of manipulation exists accross a wide range of instruments and the Exchanges and the FSA can only try and address each issue when it arises and to modify systems to minimise the vulnerability to future manipulation.

If you gave up posting before because of "rudeness" then maybe you should consider why you seem to provoke such a response. If you make constructive and intelligent posts and refrain from deriding others you are unlikely to get a rude response.

Reactions: pb
It is best if you blunder on with what you believe because much of this is too valuable to let anyone like you and with your persistent attitude have access to , under any circumstances.

Now you succeed in depriving yourself and everyone else as well.

We are certain it is apt to render you etremely popular.

Last edited:
kriesau said:
This was an intelligent and constructive board until you and your loony associate Albert decided to weigh in with your supercillious and smart ass comments. If you choose to behave like that then you will only provoke derison

I suggest you take a look at http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=8886, then do a search of his threads before rubbishing Rognvald. He's contributed more than most to the usefulness of this board and could undoubtedly teach most a thing or two about trading - including you

peterpr said:
I suggest you take a look at http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=8886, then do a search of his threads before rubbishing Rognvald. He's contributed more than most to the usefulness of this board and could undoubtedly teach most a thing or two about trading - including you
In the first place I am not "rubbishing" Rognvald. He may be the smartest or dumbest poster on these boards for all I know or care for that matter. However I do object to someone who just appears on this thread and intervenes in a discussion about a particular issue by calling other people stupid losers. There is a legitimate issue involved here which affects many people and has been acknowledged by the LSE, LIFFE and the FSA. If somebody has something interesting, relevant and constructive to contribute then they are very welcome to do so.

This kind of sneering, smart ass intervention just encourages charlatans like Albert to jump in with his garbage and then the whole thread becomes a waste of time. If you are happy to endorse this kind of conduct then so be it. You, Albert and Rognvald can have the thread to yourselves and tell each other how smart, clever and superior you think you are to everybody else and get off on that.

K,

Please note that I entered the discussions on this thread before you did and did not "just appear on this thread and intervene in a discussion about a particular issue by calling other people stupid losers"

Please advise the members of the post number in which I used the words "stupid losers" or even inferred that other people were "stupid" losers. Read the words I actually used carefully before you make untrue statements. Also take time to think that my words may be "interesting, relevant and constructive " to some - even if you do not find them so. Please remember also that you do not hold a monopoly of opinion on this matter.

Please advise the members when and where I said that this was not a legitimate issue - it is perfectly legitimate to complain but in my view you have not a cats chance of forcing a change in the rules either retrospectively or forwards. You are entitled to do whatever you please in an attempt to change the situation but in my view you are wasting your time.

Please tell us what personal basis you have for calling Albert (incidentally did he ever give you permission to use his first name?) a charlatan and “my loony associate” and referring to his contributions on these boards as “garbage”

It is clear that your anger springs from the problems you have had with a particular trade or trades. It is also clear that you hold the rules that were 6 months old when your problem appeared, responsible in large measure for whatever situation you now find yourself in. You appear to put the blame for any losses you may have made entirely on the Exchange by saying that their change of rules caused the problem. Indeed you do not even accept that the situation prior to the rule change was satisfactory to you (“For all of its faults the prior system was more logical, transparent, credible and less iniquitous* than the existing auction”). If I am mistaken in saying this then I apologise in advance, as I am sure you will correct me. Perhaps you could explain to those of us in ignorance (and there are some) what all the faults of the “old” system were. It would also be helpful if you would give us some detailed suggestions about how you think the amended rules should read and what you have proposed to the exchange as an alternative.

I have already said that I regard myself personally responsible for all the losses I have incurred over the years. In making those losses I have sought to learn why they occurred and learn from my mistakes and not sought to cast the blame elsewhere. You do not it seems take this approach but strike out at the “iniquity” of the “system”.

Now firstly the rule change occurred in November 2004 and the FTSE settlement we are discussing was the June 2005 settlement - seven months later. Secondly the rule changes were published immediately they happened and took place only after wide and considerable consultation. Thirdly “the rules” are “the rules” until such time as they are changed and the rules that you appear to state "caused" your problem also "caused" others no problem because they were ware of what might legitimately and within the rules, occur as a result of the changes. There is a saying in current usage to the effect that "ignorance of the law is no excuse". This would seem to apply here. We may also safely say of the markets "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer (or seller) beware”. No one twists our arms to make us enter trades.

It is facile to blame others or “the system” for our misfortunes. In saying this I am not patronising or condemning but stating the harsh truth. In fact I am sorry for anyone who sustains a loss, as I know from personal experience what pain this can involve.

I hope that you are able to see the sincerity behind all this and take it as it is intended but somehow I doubt it.

*Iniquity (definition of) :-
1: a gross injustice.
2: A wicked act – a sin.

K
Perhaps you could also explain the expression "get off on that" as it doesn't form part of my vocabulary. Thanks

kriesau said:
If you are happy to endorse this kind of conduct then so be it. You, Albert and Rognvald can have the thread to yourselves and tell each other how smart, clever and superior you think you are to everybody else and get off on that.

I think you'll find it was me who first raised the issue of the June settlement on these boards here: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=186093&postcount=4888 , and not by way of complaint either. An instrument that can produce such a bizarre settlement is not one which I wish to trade - not closer than a days or two from expiry anyway - so I've acted accordingly and moved on.

In my experience those who impute base motives to others often do so as a reflection of their own - in other words, they assume others are as potentially nasty as they are. so, on that basis, suggest it is you who does the 'getting off' on your habitual insulting rudeness.

Rognvald said:
K,

Please note that I entered the discussions on this thread before you did and did not "just appear on this thread and intervene in a discussion about a particular issue by calling other people stupid losers"

If you want to be pedantic you made your first post about an hour before mine. However you did not post again for another 5 weeks and therefore did not participate in the debate that occurred during that period. During that time there were a number of very good and interesting posts from Stevespray # 41 & 53, Animal # 60, Peter # 40 & 58 and Zemysto #66. I also made my views about this issue very clear in posts # 28, 42 & 71.

When you reappeared, whilst you didn't specifically use the term "stupid losers", but that was the tone of your post when you returned on this thread.

Please advise the members of the post number in which I used the words "stupid losers" or even inferred that other people were "stupid" losers. Read the words I actually used carefully before you make untrue statements. Also take time to think that my words may be "interesting, relevant and constructive " to some - even if you do not find them so. Please remember also that you do not hold a monopoly of opinion on this matter.

Please advise the members when and where I said that this was not a legitimate issue - it is perfectly legitimate to complain but in my view you have not a cats chance of forcing a change in the rules either retrospectively or forwards. You are entitled to do whatever you please in an attempt to change the situation but in my view you are wasting your time.

That's your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to express it but it is unnecessary to do so in a derogatory or patronizing way.

Please tell us what personal basis you have for calling Albert (incidentally did he ever give you permission to use his first name?) a charlatan and “my loony associate” and referring to his contributions on these boards as “garbage”

Albert Labos aka Socrates is well known on these boards. His posts are nearly always pompous, patronizing, enigmatic and nonsensical. I originally clashed with him on another thread and at that time received many private messages from other posters who not only shared my view but were also expressed their surprise that he was permitted to disrupt threads in that way.

On the two occasions where he posted some specific projections, on where a couple of Indices would close, he was dead wrong. When I pointed this out he made a post stating that he would ensure that "I would be sorry for trying to make a fool out of him". I've not seen him make a specific prediction since but he still appears, trying to pretend that he has omniscient insight and can predict in advance what will happen. If you want to buy into that and associate yourself with his absurd pronouncements then thats entirely up to you.

As far as I am aware this is a free country and you do not need anyones permission to call someone by their given name !

It is clear that your anger springs from the problems you have had with a particular trade or trades.

I'm not angry - where is your evidence to draw that patronizing conclusion - those were the rules as I pointed out in my post # 71, which you obviously have not read. My objections to the new EDSP rules - and those of many other posters - are well documented here. I would like to see them changed to a more transparent and consistent system which reflects the underlying instument (FTSE 100 Index) rather than an arbitrary & divorced auction process.

It is also clear that you hold the rules that were 6 months old when your problem appeared, responsible in large measure for whatever situation you now find yourself in. You appear to put the blame for any losses you may have made entirely on the Exchange by saying that their change of rules caused the problem.

I'm not in any "situation". I lost money at the June expiry and thats now history. The new EDSP system provided the opportunity for the settlement price to be distorted. Both LIFFE and the LSE tacitly acknowledge this and that is why they initiated an investigation into it and also brought in the FSA. My interest is to try and prevent this kind of distortion recurring again in the future.

Indeed you do not even accept that the situation prior to the rule change was satisfactory to you (“For all of its faults the prior system was more logical, transparent, credible and less iniquitous* than the existing auction”). If I am mistaken in saying this then I apologise in advance, as I am sure you will correct me. Perhaps you could explain to those of us in ignorance (and there are some) what all the faults of the “old” system were. It would also be helpful if you would give us some detailed suggestions about how you think the amended rules should read and what you have proposed to the exchange as an alternative.

I didn't find the prior EDSP system unsatisfactory. It was LIFFE & the FSA who did after the FTSE whipsawed by 100pts during the expiry day in September 2002. That prompted them to change it. No system is perfect and only tends to reviewed and changed once it has been manipulated or distorted by someone. I preferred the old system, with its vulnerabilities, to the current auction process. I have discussed this with 2 directors of LIFFE and also with people at the LSE and suggested that either an averaging or snapshot process would be better than the auction. Other people will have different ideas - it is up to the Exchange, who offer the product, to determine the best solution. Anyone who does not like the existing system or any new system does not have to trade it. However if the Exchange cannot find a solution that satisfies the majority of traders then liquidity will decline and that is not in their interest either.

I have already said that I regard myself personally responsible for all the losses I have incurred over the years. In making those losses I have sought to learn why they occurred and learn from my mistakes and not sought to cast the blame elsewhere. You do not it seems take this approach but strike out at the “iniquity” of the “system”.

Everyone is responsible for their own losses. I've had drawdowns before and will probably have some again in the future. I have no problem with this if the market is transparent and properly regulated. However when it is opaque and distorted then that is a different matter.

Now firstly the rule change occurred in November 2004 and the FTSE settlement we are discussing was the June 2005 settlement - seven months later. Secondly the rule changes were published immediately they happened and took place only after wide and considerable consultation. Thirdly “the rules” are “the rules” until such time as they are changed and the rules that you appear to state "caused" your problem also "caused" others no problem because they were ware of what might legitimately and within the rules, occur as a result of the changes.

The potential to exploit new rules is often not apparent until it occurs. The Exchanges reacted quickly to the June EDSP and launched an investigation. In the interim they modified the existing rules (post # 64) for July to try and prevent the same distortion recurring in July. If they were satisfied with the existing system they would not have implemented any changes prior to the next expiry date. Whether this alteration is their ultimate solution or just an interim measure remains to be seen

There is a saying in current usage to the effect that "ignorance of the law is no excuse". This would seem to apply here.

There is also a saying that the law is an ass. Laws or rules are not sacrosanct and are often amended or repealed when they fail to optimise the principle of fair play.

We may also safely say of the markets "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer (or seller) beware”. No one twists our arms to make us enter trades.

I've already said in prior posts that you make your own decision to trade within the rules that apply at the time so I don't know why you deem it necessary to make this point. However when those rules appear to be flawed and result in opapaque distortions then traders have the absolute right to lobby the Exchanges to change them. If they are not changed then the trader has the option to continue or stop trading in the future.

It is facile to blame others or “the system” for our misfortunes.

It is not a case of blaming others for our misfortunes. It's a case of trying to ensure that the risks of manipulation and distortion are minimised going forward when flaws in the existing system become apparant. You don't blame an airline if a plane is brought down by a bird strike but you do if the engines fail because maintenance schedules were not properly adhered to.
Your comment here implies a "whining losers" attitude rather than an acknowledgement that several people have made a rational assessment of an EDSP system which is demonstrably flawed.

In saying this I am not patronising or condemning but stating the harsh truth. In fact I am sorry for anyone who sustains a loss, as I know from personal experience what pain this can involve.

Harsh truths tend to relate to matters that either appear to be, or are, unavoidable. Man made systems rarely constitute harsh truths since they are malleable. Rational people may indulge in self recrimination when they get it wrong but will equally question the validity of a process that has been shown to be vulneranle to manipulation.

I hope that you are able to see the sincerity behind all this and take it as it is intended but somehow I doubt it.

Can't avoid a closing swipe right at the end can you !

*Iniquity (definition of) :-
1: a gross injustice.
2: A wicked act – a sin.
Wrong is a synonym of iniquity - and in my very humble and personal opinion the current EDSP system is wrong since it has proven to be too vulnerable to distortion and is divorced from the underlying instrument upon which the options are traded.
See above

Rognvald said:
K
Perhaps you could also explain the expression "get off on that" as it doesn't form part of my vocabulary. Thanks
Get off on "to be turned on or to obtain satisfaction from"

peterpr said:
I think you'll find it was me who first raised the issue of the June settlement on these boards here: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=186093&postcount=4888 , and not by way of complaint either. An instrument that can produce such a bizarre settlement is not one which I wish to trade - not closer than a days or two from expiry anyway - so I've acted accordingly and moved on.

In my experience those who impute base motives to others often do so as a reflection of their own - in other words, they assume others are as potentially nasty as they are. so, on that basis, suggest it is you who does the 'getting off' on your habitual insulting rudeness.
I don't get off on "habitual insulting rudeness" as can be demonstrated by my interaction with people on both this and other threads. I object to people who are pompous or patronizing and will respond in kind if and when that occurs. There is no need for that kind of behavior on these boards - all posters are anonymous and could be Dukes or Dustmen, Millionaires or Paupers as far as anyone else is aware. If all posters were constructive and considerate then there would not be any acrimony.

peterpr said:

Actually it was Airthry Capital and Stevespray who first raised this issue.

K

Thank you for your various explanations to some of the points I raised. You do not answer my requests and these omissions speak volumes. I do not believe that they do you much credit. I have no wish to engage you further in this matter however and will not again.

I think our various points are all made now. The posts are sufficiently detailed and well reflect our positions and moral stances. Right thinking members can now make up their own minds as they wish.

Rognvald said:
K

Thank you for your various explanations to some of the points I raised. You do not answer my requests and these omissions speak volumes. I do not believe that they do you much credit. I have no wish to engage you further in this matter however and will not again.

I think our various points are all made now. The posts are sufficiently detailed and well reflect our positions and moral stances. Right thinking members can now make up their own minds as they wish.
Well I'm happy to leave it there except for your comment
"You do not answer my requests and these ommissions speak volumes"
Such as ?

kriesau said:
I don't get off on "habitual insulting rudeness" as can be demonstrated by my interaction with people on both this and other threads.
message91 said:
If you are happy to endorse this kind of conduct then so be it. You, Albert and Rognvald can have the thread to yourselves and tell each other how smart, clever and superior you think you are to everybody else and get off on that.
Well if that is not insulting rudeness I don't know what is. And it's far from an isolated case as can be clearly demonstrated from the record.
.... If all posters were constructive and considerate then there would not be any acrimony.
And I suggest that if all posters behaved like you are won't to do when you see something you don't like, then there would be little else but acrimony.
kriesau said:
Actually it was Airthry Capital and Stevespray who first raised this issue.
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=186847&postcount=6

Note: The DOW thread posts were made 21 hours before this thread was started by AC and just 30 minutes or so after the auction closed

June FTSE Settlement Auction

Dear kriesau

I was wondering if you had any more news on the June settlement issue?

I have recently received notification from Liffe that the auction process was not at fault and that no manipulation took place.

I have also recently discovered that the FOS does not have jurisdiction over Liffe and that the complaint needs to be dealt with by the Market Rules and Trading Committee and then perhaps by the Complaints Ombudsmen. This is rather farcical as both avenues are biased. The MRTC are part of Liffe whilst the CO is paid by Liffe. The complaint also needs to fall within strict parameters for them to even consider it.

I am still pressing ahead with the complaint against Liffe on the basis that if the auction process was not flawed they would not have needed to change it. The fact that they made changes after the June settlement seems to indicate a problem with it in the first place. The problem from here is proving that the exchange showed a lack of care, made a mistake or acted in bad faith. I think their argument is going to be that the auction process worked correctly, it simply did not take account of a flood of buy orders which were not balanced out with sell orders, and consequently that is why they have made changes. In reality of course what this means is that the auction process prior to June 2005 was indeed flawed simply because it did not take account of what took place on the day.

Anyway I am pushing ahead with my complaint and I wondered if anyone else had some useful information that might assist.

Regards
jackal007

June 05 expiry

After two and a half years of trying to get financial compensation from Liffe as a result of the illegal activities that resulted in the 84 point move in the June 05 FTSE100 Index options expiry figure and Liffe's continued illegal promotion of their falsely described options products(illegal in both cases are my words as I can't afford the court case to prove the point), I am finally meeting with Liffe's appointed Ombudsman. Is anyone else in the same situation?
Regards
Mike

Anyone else here somewhat taken aback by the June FTSE EDSP of 5138?......

Cash didn't even trade much above 5092!......

I didn't personally have any June positions open, but interested to hear any thoughts from anyone who was either long or short June FTSE at expiry last Friday, or even those who had in the money FTSE options open at the time of expiry.

What was going on?

Mike8man - good for you - such dogged diligence really deserves a result after all that time.

I kinda gave up on this after a series of correspondence and telephone calls with directors of LIFFE which just went nowhere in the end. If you are meeting the Ombudsman you can certainly add my name to the list as another disgruntled trader who suffered loss as a result of this too.

If you want to contact me use the T2W private message facility

June FTSE Option Expiry

Mike

I have also been on them since the expiry date and have written numerous letters (both to them and the FSA), and my complaint is now moving on to the Ombudsmen.

By the way I am not particularly hopeful of a successful outcome, due to the obvious bias involved in this whole process. I dont think they will be particularly concerned about making a payout, but I do think they would be concerned about setting a president. If I am unnsuccssful I will consider legal action, but I may be bound by their rules, we will have to wait and see.

Please read my previous thread for the reasons behind my position.

If you would like to compare notes please feel free to get in touch.

Regards
Jackal:(