Jim Cramer

yacarob1

Experienced member
Just lately I have taken to reading a lot of articles and commentaries by Jim Cramer and watching video clips of his out-pourings on TheStreet.com.

I find him very interesting indeed and I love his extrovert style.

I was just wondering how his credibility rates in terms of his market opinions etc. Is he someone to be taken seriously or is he just another commentator saying what he needs to say to achieve his own agenda.

I know he was a hedge fund manager and ex Goldmans man and has been involved with the markets for many many years - what I do not know about is his credibility as a commentator and market opinion former.

Would anyone care to comment ?

Hi Yacarob 1,

You could take a look at this site www.booyahboyaudit.com , they have been following Cramers picks since his show started. Plenty of other stuff on the Net about him.

If you enjoy reading "Trading with the Enemy" by Nicholas W. Maier is a hilarious story of the time the author spent working with Cramer. Gives a good insight into his personality.

Hope this is of interst.

I will be very interested to see what the brokers stocks ( GS, LEH, BSC ) do this week as they report earnings.

Cramer made some pretty interesting comments about these over the weekend.....bears will wreck the stocks to provide great buying opportunity by Friday etc. etc. etc.....

I don't personally play these stocks but I am just intrigued to see how Cramer's bold predictions pan out.

If yoou listen to Cramer and take his advice I can pretty much assure you that soon all your money will be taken by the people smarter than you are.

Hiya yacarob,
Check out NSTK and JSDA today.......... ;-))
Take care,
Richard

Both produced nice shorts ;-)
I got NSTK but didn't trade JSDA
I'll put the chart of NSTK up on the Evening Trading US Shares thread later or tomorrow.
Good trading yacarob,
Richard

Hi Richard.

Didn't see your post until very recently because I couldn't get into T2W for ages today.

Thanks anyway.

yacarob1 said:
Just lately I have taken to reading a lot of articles and commentaries by Jim Cramer and watching video clips of his out-pourings on TheStreet.com.

I was just wondering how his credibility rates in terms of his market opinions etc. Is he someone to be taken seriously or is he just another commentator saying what he needs to say to achieve his own agenda.

I know he was a hedge fund manager and ex Goldmans man and has been involved with the markets for many many years - what I do not know about is his credibility as a commentator and market opinion former.

I must admit to being a bit of a closet fan of Crammer - I have read 'Mad Money, watch TV get rich' and found it a perfect compliment to his U.S TV show. This book provides some good basic fundamentals knowledge and also some interesting insights into his life as a hedgie (Crammer Berkowitz) and general tips on beating the institutional imperative, understanding the importance of the business cycle, selecting quality small cap under the analyst’s radar amongst many other things.
I also found his autobiography ‘Confessions of a street addict’ much more inspirational and chronicles his amazingly successful career as both money manger and commentator.

In short, Crammer – a good guy.

yacarob1 said:

Cramer knows a lot about a lot - but I think it's wise to use a filter to separate the "off the cuff" from the genuinely insightful stuff. He's an absolute phenom when it comes to marketing........ and I'm sure he makes as much now and more easily than when he ran his hedge fund.

My experience has been find something which he seems to have knowledge of (particularly if Goldman's are their bankers) and wait for them to hit hard times.... Cramer normally comes up with some interesting stuff around this time - some share support waffle but also some serious stuff that the management and their bankers maybe considering.....

He helps to bring them off the bottom...... i.e Yahoo last year.

He knows plenty about Microsoft.... apparently Steve Balmer was his room-mate at college ..... and he also "helped" to bring Microsoft public all those years ago.....

He knows about semiz - but he's best when they are in the doldrums he can tell you what to watch for and which analysts he listens to .... In fact if anyone just focused on semiz with or without his help they'd probably do quite well :cheesy:

Right now I'm interested to hear what he has to say about Intel/Amd/Motorola - cos they're sick.

HS

I never listened to him on Google I thought it was pure hype.... however from $85 the stock hit his price targets time after time - maybe he knew who the big buyers were :LOL:

Hook Shot said:
Cramer knows a lot about a lot - but I think it's wise to use a filter to separate the "off the cuff" from the genuinely insightful stuff. He's an absolute phenom when it comes to marketing........ and I'm sure he makes as much now and more easily than when he ran his hedge fund.

My experience has been find something which he seems to have knowledge of (particularly if Goldman's are their bankers) and wait for them to hit hard times.... Cramer normally comes up with some interesting stuff around this time - some share support waffle but also some serious stuff that the management and their bankers maybe considering.....

He helps to bring them off the bottom...... i.e Yahoo last year.

He knows plenty about Microsoft.... apparently Steve Balmer was his room-mate at college ..... and he also "helped" to bring Microsoft public all those years ago.....

He knows about semiz - but he's best when they are in the doldrums he can tell you what to watch for and which analysts he listens to .... In fact if anyone just focused on semiz with or without his help they'd probably do quite well :cheesy:

Right now I'm interested to hear what he has to say about Intel/Amd/Motorola - cos they're sick.

HS

I never listened to him on Google I thought it was pure hype.... however from $85 the stock hit his price targets time after time - maybe he knew who the big buyers were :LOL:

JC says 'triple sell' to Motorola !!

Other people might want to make friends - Jim Cramer wants to make you money!!

mralph said:
JC says 'triple sell' to Motorola !!

Motorola up strongly .........seemingly basing at $18.

With price near 52w lows surely there were better places to issue a straight sell signal
never mind a triple half pounder with extra cheese ?

Wednesday - Motorola whalloped after hours - news is pretty grim going forward so Cramer was sort of right.......

From here on in it becomes one of the great recovery stories.....imho :cheesy:

Last edited:
From today's City Diary in the Telegraph:

"More trouble for Jim Cramer, the US stock market commentator and CNBC television host, who appears to have owned up to manipulating share prices.

In a December interview on financial website thestreet.com, Cramer described how he used to move prices during his previous job running a hedge fund - a startling claim that was overlooked until the clip was posted on the video-sharing site YouTube. It's now been viewed more than 113,000 times.

"A lot of times when I was short at my hedge fund\u2026 meaning I needed [a stock] down, I would create a level of activity beforehand that could drive the futures," Cramer explains. "It's a fun game and it's a lucrative game."

Though he says it is legal, he goes on to taunt regulators, the Securities Exchange Commission, for not understanding his methods before admitting that he wouldn't say these things "on TV".

Still, Cramer may have a neat defence. His share tips underperform market averages."

LOL.

Jack o'Clubs said:
From today's City Diary in the Telegraph:

"More trouble for Jim Cramer, the US stock market commentator and CNBC television host, who appears to have owned up to manipulating share prices.

In a December interview on financial website thestreet.com, Cramer described how he used to move prices during his previous job running a hedge fund - a startling claim that was overlooked until the clip was posted on the video-sharing site YouTube. It's now been viewed more than 113,000 times.

"A lot of times when I was short at my hedge fund\u2026 meaning I needed [a stock] down, I would create a level of activity beforehand that could drive the futures," Cramer explains. "It's a fun game and it's a lucrative game."

Though he says it is legal, he goes on to taunt regulators, the Securities Exchange Commission, for not understanding his methods before admitting that he wouldn't say these things "on TV".

Still, Cramer may have a neat defence. His share tips underperform market averages."

LOL.

oh yeah, wow what an idiot!

I think .....Cramer once got banned from TV cos he was hyping stocks he was shorting or later shorted. But his ratings were so good they got him back and arranged some sort of lock up arrangement for his transactions. It seems if you got the bling you can do anything.... for a while :cheesy:

All Flintoff has to do is put in a few matchwinning performances and get England to semis or finals and he can pedal away with a bottle in each hand if the wants........................