Indicators for staying in an uptrend (daily)

Black Swan, what is this indicator that you use,

Getting in is easier than getting out, and I a fed up of looking at a chart of the end of the day and thinking ahhhh why did I not hold...
Would you sell BS's indicator in your chat room (Your Vendor badge does say your have a chat room?):whistling

Black Swan, what is this indicator that you use,

Getting in is easier than getting out, and I a fed up of looking at a chart of the end of the day and thinking ahhhh why did I not hold...

I mainly use indicators to signal an entry point, literary an alarm going off like it's the 4th of July, saves me having to stare at charts like a retard for hours on end..I also use them to stay in a trade but that takes a lot more than faith in an indicator, it takes hundreds, perhaps thousands of trades to get your psyche match hardened to just 'know'. When most traders are up 50 pips they'll get excited and puke, I can often be circa 50 pips up and watch it turn into a small loss when trading my way, total anathema to many but it works for me...

You see trading is a very subjective business were technique/strat is concerned, it's also linked more to your psyche than you think, what I've found fits me and my general trading weirdness will not suit you, I can wait a week for a signal on a pair, can you? For those reasons I never discuss my swing strat..in any event you can find hundreds on forex strategies revealed if you google, one of 'em might "suit you sir.."

However, If you're looking to trade off the lower TFs then for now you really need to do what I did to gain success off typically half hour TFs; concentrate on S&R + P. The highs, the lows, price failing to make, or making new thereof..find your own path grasshopper..build from there

caine_and_master_po.jpg

Hi there,

I am looking an indicator that helps you stay in an uptrend, and smoothes out down blips in an otherwise uphill trend, day swinging the FTSE btw.

I like to keep the date on the MID

Other than slowing down the MCAD, and Stoc Ssl I cannot think of any other indicators.

Am I right in staying that they are all pretty much the same, MA, MCAD, RSI ect.. and work of averages.

Thanks

Hi Monkey.

Why don't you keep it simple? Just follow the price and higher lows on your desired time frame. If there is no violation of the last higher low - up trend is there.

It’s based on a cliché: ‘Trend is your friend apart from the bend at the end’

Attachments

• eu.JPG
    eu.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 205
Hi Monkey.

Why don't you keep it simple? Just follow the price and higher lows on your desired time frame. If there is no violation of the last higher low - up trend is there.

I read a book on candles a while back, reputed to be the best there is, then did some other reasearch, the opinion I came to was that PA/candle formation was no more 'reliable' than any other pattern based or indicator based strat..subsequently I've had that opinion confirmed were I keep picking up thoughts that it's only 50% reliable..But wtf, as footy pundits would say "its all a game of opinions 'Arry.." and it's all voodoo anyway right? ;)

An indicator to keep you in the 'trend' - look to a higher TF chart. If it is closing up price is going up.

I read a book once that told me to stick my head in the sand and attempt to kiss my right buttocks at the same time, as I made my trading decision. Being a stupid cow, I tried it and ya know what..... IT WORKED! :clap: Now, I'm a stupid FAT cow.

Arrrrg, though. I got my tinies in a nicker when I ran out of sand. But, that was OK. I could afford a brand new pick-up truck by then, so I was able to jimmy right out and buy a whole truck load of sand. Now, I'm ducking, kissing and racking up the cash left and right.

Indicators? I don't need no stink'n indicators. I've got some sand a very well written instructional book and a huge right cheek to keep me rolling in the doughnut shop for my Royal w/cheeze. :cheesy:

Hey, I've got a new rhyme for the times and here it goes.

Stay in the trend, by following Trade2Win. :cool:

You can thank me later. I know it rhymes. That's a darn good rhyme right there. Darn good.

Hi Monkey.

I realize this is my first post on here but i feel as if I would like to share something that I feel works well for me. I use the 5,13 EMA cross on daily charts at times if I am in a confirmed up trend. I also use the lowest low of the last 2 periods when there was a new high. So if day 1 has range lets say of $20-$21 and day 2 has a NEW high and range of say 20.50-21.50 and day 3 has say NEW high and range of 20.75-21.75 then at day 3 I move one of my stops up to JUST below the lowest low of day 1. So this allows for conoslidation and when a new high is made again move up stop to next 2 period lowest low. Another stop I use is the MACD (12,26,9) and watch the FAST line curl down in an uptrend. If it does not curl down then there is NO END TO THE TREND,....it just may be showing a divergnece so just be vigilant. Finally, WHEN it actually curls down then the stop is moved to just below the low of THAT day. If a new low is made the next day you should see a followthrough on MACD with another lower FAST line reading than the day before and you are likely very near the top or at the top of the trend. It is very common for a MACD to curl down for one day and the next day "bargain hunters" buy it up and it resumes its uptrend on FAST line. You will also notice that those days there is NO new low made or if there is it is by pennies. Of course none of these methods are fool proof but have helped me in my trading. Lastly, these MACD FAT line methods ONLY work when it is ABOVE the 0 line!! I hope it helps you.

I dont like the new low method descirbed in this post because you may give back too much of your gain in my mind.

I dont like the new low method descirbed in this post because you may give back too much of your gain in my mind.

Catch 22: I want to stay in the trend but at the same time don't want to give too much back.

Who said trading is easy?

Typical BS avoidance reply. This jerk can't trade for Zhit, all he does is hang around on these boards licking the CMC owners @rse hoping for a job. Ignore him, or ask to see his Profit and Loss statement, that'l scare him off back into his make believe trading cave.

You're in the wrong thread. This isn't the CMC Markets thread.

Peter

Catch 22: I want to stay in the trend but at the same time don't want to give too much back.

Who said trading is easy?

So true,...if it were easy everyone would do it. I just feel my 3 methods described above work best for me and these methods I describe actually work better on longer (weekly) time frames.

You're in the wrong thread. This isn't the CMC Markets thread.

Peter

You're a funny guy? Like finds like, keep posting away and looking for indicators to help you trade, lol, and IF you ever make it, you will have realised that indicators did not help you get there, brains did. :smart:

You're a funny guy? Like finds like, keep posting away and looking for indicators to help you trade, lol, and IF you ever make it, you will have realised that indicators did not help you get there, brains did. :smart:

I hope to someday :LOL:

Peter

A bit more serious reply...
Actually indicators DID help me get to where I am today. Using them is part of the journey of discovering what does and doesn't work. Like most other traders I had charts overloaded with indicators looking for the perfect conditions. You finally weed out the ones that have little use and maybe keep 1 or 2 that have some value relative to your trading method.

Peter

you may find the following thread over at forex factory interesting - its a large thread, only started april but has a large following. i've certainly had, so far, small measures of success with it. i like it :)

http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=291622

obviously the intended use is forex and uses 4 hr charts. but i think it's quite flexible and really is ok in all timeframes (imo). i had a look at ftse with it and looks ok! i'll demonstrate if i may with a couple of charts. i've changed things slightly from the ff thread, as you'll see. though that's me innit, forever the tinkerer. really its just an indicator extension set and additions to theories i've posted about in the past.

1st chart shows an expanded daily view of ftse with the tdi indy, ha candles, price close line (black) and a 5 sma (blue). for those who do not chart with mt4 i have added a stochastic, to try demonstrate that it's possible to replicate, as near as was possible, the idea and it kind of looks ok when viewing the big picture.

117284d1309111481-indicators-staying-uptrend-daily-ftse-tdi-stoch.jpg

ok 2nd chart has a zoomed in view of trends and turning points. note that in the zoomed in chart the stoch indy really fails quite badly while the tdi looks really good! note also the expansion/contraction of the price close line vs the sma line. compare that to the tdi which shows a smoothed expansion/contraction view, nice!

117286d1309111481-indicators-staying-uptrend-daily-ftse-trends-turning-points.jpg

last chart has a zoomed in view of a trend where you could get scared out the trade on upward price spikes. fear not! as you can see its possible to stay in the trade!

117288d1309111481-indicators-staying-uptrend-daily-ftse-down-trend.jpg

in conclusion. i believes that satisfies the op's request for something indy driven for staying in a trend.

Attachments

• ftse tdi stoch.JPG
    ftse tdi stoch.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 839
  • ftse trends and turning points.JPG
    ftse trends and turning points.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 747
  • ftse down trend.JPG
    ftse down trend.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 719
Last edited: