Index futures price vs actual index price?

lenford

I'm looking for historical index data (10+ years 30min intervals) for backtesting but so far I can only seem to find data for the futures prices rather than the actual index prices. I'm planning on using a spread betting platform such as IG and I'm under the impression that the charts they provide are based on the actual index prices rather than the index's future prices.

How different are the two? Would the historical futures data suffice for trying out different systems / trading rules to then be applied on IG's index charts when I go live or should I continue looking for historical data on the actual index prices?

Any replies will be much appreciated.

IG index gives you the option to trade Cash Indices & Futures Indices. So do other SB brokers.

IG index gives you the option to trade Cash Indices & Futures Indices. So do other SB brokers.

Thanks! Could you tell me the title of the indice that represents the dow jones futures on IG? I cant find any under that name. I assume the one titled Wall Street is the cash indice? I'm currently using the demo so not sure if they display the full catalogue of markets.

Yes, it's Wall Street. When you select it, a display will open showing the chart and dealing ticket. Along the top near its name you will be able to select Cash or Futures.