IMF: Afghan farmers earn about $1 bln from opium

BSD

Veteren member
Lucrative business eh...

Almost as good as starting your own hedge fund.

:D

"Afghan farmers earn about $1 bln from opium- IMF

REUTERS
Reuters North American News Service

Feb 20, 2008 12:11 EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Afghan farmers earned about $1 billion from opium production in 2007, by far the country's largest cash crop, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.

The IMF said opium production in Afghanistan had spiraled up to 8,200 tonnes in 2007 from 185 tonnes in 2001.

It said Afghanistan's share of world supply increased to about 93 percent in 2007 from 52 percent in 1995, making it the world's largest opium producer despite efforts to bring production under control since the fall of the Taliban six years ago.

The IMF said it was not well qualified to comment on Afghanistan's opium production, and cited figures from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime that estimate the total value of the opium harvest in Afghanistan was worth about $4 billion in 2007, compared with $2.7 billion in 2005.

"Given the size of the opium economy, clearly a good part of it is injected though either consumption or higher savings in the economy," Mohamad Elhage, mission chief for Afghanistan, told a conference call with reporters.

While opium production has flourished in the south and west of the country, Elhage said the worsening security situation in Afghanistan was having a broad impact on the overall economy, in particular on foreign direct investment.

"We have seen a reduction to some extent in foreign direct investment and implications on the budget because more spending will be allocated to security either through the central government budget or through the external budget, which is funded by donors," Elhage said.

"So clearly the security situation is not in terms of achieving fiscal sustainability in the period ahead and also it is having an impact on the investment climate," he added. (Reporting by Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)"

Afghan farmers earn about $1 bln from opium- IMF

I get about 100 poppies pop up every year.....in my garden lovely they are (y)

But surely if the governments wanted to control it why dont they chemical or kill the earth for 30 years where the acres of poppies grow... I mean how hard can it be to spot a big red patch :LOL:

I think theres a few kick backs fkyin around........

But surely if the governments wanted to control it why dont they chemical or kill the earth for 30 years where the acres of poppies grow... I mean how hard can it be to spot a big red patch :LOL:

I think theres a few kick backs fkyin around........

But do they actually want to:confused::?:;)

011_th.jpg

Bloody marvelous !

:D:D:D

Don't let the Afghans know tho, or they might send some killer commandoes over because you're cutting into their profits.

:cheesy:

Err...

Wassat then...

They don't want you linking to their pic ?

Hmm.

behohen-340-29-opium_smoker.jpg

hb4w1003ht-FID3.jpg

Poor cat...

Never mind.

Cats are clever and know whats what.

toon-14-jpg.jpg

toon8.jpg

Markus,

At least they don't get farm subsidies to spend on new four-wheel drives.

Grant.

Reactions: BSD
http : / / www . globalresearch . ca / archives / ARC404 . html
*** scroll down and you shall find

Last edited:
Markus,

The group of five smoking. This is obviously an old photo – 19th century?

That must be pretty powerful stuff they’re smoking – the guy on the right thinks he using a mobile ‘phone even though they weren’t invented. Cosmic.

The one reading at left. Obviously he can’t indulge – it’s his turn to drive.

With a Chinese accent: “You for coffee?” “No, you f*ck offy.”

Grant.

REUTERS
Reuters North American News Service
Feb 20, 2008 12:11 EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Afghan farmers earned about $1 billion from opium production in 2007, by far the country's largest cash crop, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.

Interesting; & a difficult problem to resolve - Soviets got nowhere and we don't appear to be having much success apart from providing very realistic training for our Armed Forces.

Population of Afghanistan in 2007 was estimated at 31 million - nobody seems to know actual figures. Some details from ICARDA (International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas) Seed Unit shows: average family size in 2001 was 7, so assuming most employment is farming, max no farmers approx 4.4 million. Sharing out $1 bn gives annual income of $227 - which is not mega-different from the $300 quoted somewhere in that report.

So, why would some poor sod supporting a family of 7 on $300 pa, in one of the more inhospitable parts of the world, really have much concern for our mis-use of his produce?

Here's a farmer's quote: http://asiacalling.kbr68h.com/index.php/archives/1268hh (I've no knowledge of their political affiliations or degree of independence.)

“We are poor farmers; cultivating poppy does not mean we are the enemy of our nation. Our kids’ survival is our main concern and we have to feed regularly. The government and the global fraternity should arrest those who are earning a fortune by converting poppies into heroin.”

- What would you do in their shoes with a family to feed and Taliban round the corner? Not saying they're right but what would you do?

Markus,

The group of five smoking. This is obviously an old photo – 19th century?

That must be pretty powerful stuff they’re smoking – the guy on the right thinks he using a mobile ‘phone even though they weren’t invented. Cosmic.

The one reading at left. Obviously he can’t indulge – it’s his turn to drive.

With a Chinese accent: “You for coffee?” “No, you f*ck offy.”

Grant.

Excellent :LOL::LOL::LOL:

- What would you do in their shoes with a family to feed and Taliban round the corner? Not saying they're right but what would you do?

I'd do absolutely what they are doing !

Good post.

"What would you do in their shoes"? Exactly the same.

However, I think to assume an even distribution of $1bn would be incorrect. The farmers would receive a pittance for their crop while the warlords/taliban receive the lion's share - the same set-up as anywhere else re drugs (or any commodity - coffee, gems, etc) production, distribution and sales.

And perhaps herein lies a dilemma regarding local support for the taliban. If the taliban didn't buy, who would the farmers sell to? I doubt the concept of free trade and open markets has reached Afghanistan.

Here's one for you, 0007. Why isn't the US trying to eradicate the crop as they are in South America?

Grant

Good post.

"What would you do in their shoes"? Exactly the same.

However, I think to assume an even distribution of $1bn would be incorrect.
Agree - which, as you say, means a lot of them are receiving a pittance.

Here's one for you, 0007. Why isn't the US trying to eradicate the crop as they are in South America?

Good question. Some interesting comment on its effects here AlterNet: Invisible Casualties In South America do we see the usual political result of the law of unintended consequences? Righteous and moral thinkers in US want drugs stopped (which ain't gonna happen) and they have the wherewithal to attempt their aim regardless of who or what gets in their way. Bit like Iraq though in that case there were distinct political motives IMHO.

It's difficult to work out US / UK policy in Afghanistan. I gather they are making efforts (unsuccessfully in the main) to persuade the farmers to give up poppy growing. I think that illustrates how the politicians just don't understand what's happening on the ground. (look what happened to Iraqi interpreters who trusted the Brits out there). Afghanistani farmers might be peasant stock but they're wise enough to know who's gonna be around longest out of USA and Taliban - like all conflicts, when the invading administration changes the troops will come home. Under sharpshooter Bush, 9/11 = Bin Laden = Taliban = Afghanistan? Therefore, must be there and do something. Rather reminds me of a wasp stuck in a jam jar - keeps trying to get out but never succeeeds. USA thinks you can solve any problem by throwing enough money at it but doesn't have enough wit to work it out, whereas UK is opposite. (On 2nd thoughts that's a bit harsh - we're same as US really but we have to resort to brainpower more because we ain't so rich).

Grant / BSD thanks for your comments. Like all political problems, it's easy as a bystander to comment and disparage what's been done but I find that when I sit down & think "what would i do?" it suddenly becomes a lot more difficult. After all, how do you cope with a movement whose dedicated aim is to take over?

Last edited:

“they're wise enough to know who's gonna be around longest out of USA and Taliban - like all conflicts, when the invading administration changes the troops will come home.” There’s a thought. Good point

The US/UK/allies will withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan when what laughably passes for a democratic government has been established, eg an agreement by the “rulers” that, after a few years of transition, they will set a future date to discuss the possibility of establishing elections at some future date. “All out, lads. Fuuck, that was close.”

Grant.

“distinct political motives” .

Ain’t that the truth. They can’t alienate the Afghani peasantry as this is recruiting ground for the taliban and any future rulers will need popular support.

However, in South America (Colombia?) the locals are seen as largely sympathetic to the left-wing revolutionary FARC.

“revolutionary” in this context in that they run a lucrative drugs operation but the country’s rulers/US backed- supporters don’t get a rake-off. If they did, FARC would be just an opposition party in a democratic country.

Grant.