IG API – programmer required

nansen

Hello Everyone,

I am a systematic FX trend-following trader.

All of my systems development work is in Excel.

I am seeking to take live data from IG’s API (IG Labs) and import it into Excel - I would like this to be an automatic process.

The data imported into an Excel worksheet could be any user-definable periodicity, for example, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 1 hour. Thus, a spreadsheet could contain (as an example), three worksheets, with Worksheet 1 containing 1 minute data, Worksheet 2 containing 5 minute data and Worksheet 3 containing hourly data.

Each worksheet would contain the last (as an example) 6 months’ worth of data for each of the three time frames – data should be “flushed” automatically.

I would like each of these worksheets to update automatically. Data should update automatically on a row-by-row basis with all system calculations in each row also updating automatically – effectively, the whole worksheet scrolls down automatically as each period is updated. System calculations (ie. formulae) should be able to be changed on an ongoing basis, with additional columns (containing formulae) also able to be added.

I am not a programmer and the technical skills required to achieve the above are beyond my ability.

Can anyone assist me in this matter?

Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

I am a systematic FX trend-following trader.

All of my systems development work is in Excel.

I am seeking to take live data from IG’s API (IG Labs) and import it into Excel - I would like this to be an automatic process.

The data imported into an Excel worksheet could be any user-definable periodicity, for example, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 1 hour. Thus, a spreadsheet could contain (as an example), three worksheets, with Worksheet 1 containing 1 minute data, Worksheet 2 containing 5 minute data and Worksheet 3 containing hourly data.

Each worksheet would contain the last (as an example) 6 months’ worth of data for each of the three time frames – data should be “flushed” automatically.

I would like each of these worksheets to update automatically. Data should update automatically on a row-by-row basis with all system calculations in each row also updating automatically – effectively, the whole worksheet scrolls down automatically as each period is updated. System calculations (ie. formulae) should be able to be changed on an ongoing basis, with additional columns (containing formulae) also able to be added.

I am not a programmer and the technical skills required to achieve the above are beyond my ability.

Can anyone assist me in this matter?

Thank you.
How much do you expect that to cost ?

Hello Nansen,
I dont advise using excel unless it is implemented with some other external application that manages the data. I had developed for myself an excel shhet that could take data from Metrader/ Esignal and place live trades. The problem was that the calculation processing and data updating was slowing down the excel workbook and kept hanging, sometimes while in a trade. My problem could have been the way I programmed it or the way I was using it, but have continuosuly found excel quite limiting.

I also had a static workbook which pulled data from Yahoo for a any number of stocks (Daily Data), created a separate worksheet which updated at midnight ready for the next morning. It even allowed me to write my formula in one worksheet and copied it to all the other instruments of the FTSE100.
But I found that excel could not cope and had to discard it.

There have been a few applications whichallow you to pull data in to excel, but in each one I found the limitations kept cropping up.