If TV numbs the brain, i wonder what - looking at a monitor for 8 hours a day - does?

One of many articles on the subject - http://www.raphaelhouse.school.nz/index.php?pid=59

If TV numbs the brain, i wonder what damage looking at a monitor for a good part of 8 hours (eg. intraday trading) a day does? :eek:

its not the monitor!
watching TV is a passive activity.
you need to compare 8-hrs of TV-watching with 8-hrs of games-playing.

its the passive/interactive element that determines whether you nod off or are alert to another invasion of mutants from planet Zarg on Level-3. (oh, and your teas getting cold)

EDIT: quiet day, guys??

its not the monitor!
watching TV is a passive activity.
you need to compare 8-hrs of TV-watching with 8-hrs of games-playing.

its the passive/interactive element that determines whether you nod off or are alert to another invasion of mutants from planet Zarg on Level-3. (oh, and your teas getting cold)

EDIT: quiet day, guys??

Trading is a fairly passive activity IMO - sitting waiting for X to happen B4 doing Y.

At least TV provides "some" stimulaiton in the subject matter. A monitor (contasining a chart) is basically a flickering CRT that does nothing much to stimulate. It can send you into a trance like state though.

8 hours of game playing can be just as harmful, if not more so. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,539166,00.html

Last edited:
Games

I once had a College student that would fall asleep during lessons or behave in a trance like state all day.
It transpired he would spend hours on his "X-Box" hence the sleep deprivation induced behaviour.
His dad solved the problem...with a lump hammer........battered the box - not the boy:cheesy:

Most office based jobs mean 7-8 hours of screen viewing so it's similar to trading.

In terms of health (of your eyes etc), you're supposed to do take a 15 min break away from the screen every hour or so....and when you do, you'll probably miss your trading signal. :LOL: :LOL:

TV is sleep inducing because you're not reacting to what you see and most progs are cr4p too.

Trading for trading sake is akin to playing poker or blackjack.

To sit in front of ones screen and just trade is not hard word, not boring (except when its dead), and generally quite fun.

I would recommend that to fulfil ones potential one does not just trade, but learn the markets and avoid lazy trading.

Reactions: ian
I think I remember reading some years back that there was an increase or some sort of correlation between screen exposure and depression (or increased in feeling depressed) , gamma radiation coming off the screen or something? hence reco's for screen filters, not sure if todays screens are improved or if our brains will just get frazzled anyhooo... :LOL: I have had to stop once or twice because of eyeball being burnt out........ probably just too much looking at the screen as opposed to radiation I think...... severe eyestrain, the mind says go on the body says. yuuuuuurrrpp..... ease off, so I do mosey around a bit more these days.

mmm maybe the depression link is not from direct exposure to the screen rays but people thinking, is this my life... damn you machines I'm a slave servicing the machines.... so they live ,not I, damn you machines.. :)

Last edited:
Well in my CRT screenwatching days, i used to get eye strain/burn. I then bought glass filters, and these definately helped. I still use these filters & CRT monitors.