I am an Applied Mathematics... advice?

X

xfd1048576

Hi guys,

I am a undergraduate in Applied Mathematics, and as the days goes by I am getting more and more worried about securing a job as a trader when I graduate. I currently hold 2 certifications 1)Securities Products and Analysis 2)Futures Products and Analysis that allows me to be a broker.

I've been trading spot forex since last december, and have only started become "profitable" since July. I have averaged around 300+ pips for the last 2 months. For this month, I have only managed to gain 60+ pips so far. I feel that consistency, and the ability to trade in various market conditions are extremely important, and these skills can only come with time. I am also planning to sign up for the CMT level 1 that is coming this fall. However, the problem is, I am so invested in trading that my grades are suffering quite a bit.

Is a track record of profitability really important such that I should continue doing what I am currently doing and allow my grades to take a hit (but still retain a reasonable standard) or should I just focus on getting good grades in the university??

Would love to get some advice!

Hi guys,

I am a undergraduate in Applied Mathematics, and as the days goes by I am getting more and more worried about securing a job as a trader when I graduate. I currently hold 2 certifications 1)Securities Products and Analysis 2)Futures Products and Analysis that allows me to be a broker.

I've been trading spot forex since last december, and have only started become "profitable" since July. I have averaged around 300+ pips for the last 2 months. For this month, I have only managed to gain 60+ pips so far. I feel that consistency, and the ability to trade in various market conditions are extremely important, and these skills can only come with time. I am also planning to sign up for the CMT level 1 that is coming this fall. However, the problem is, I am so invested in trading that my grades are suffering quite a bit.

Is a track record of profitability really important such that I should continue doing what I am currently doing and allow my grades to take a hit (but still retain a reasonable standard) or should I just focus on getting good grades in the university??

Would love to get some advice!

I would say quit trading altogether and retain good grades first. You have plenty of time after uni to trade. Most will look at your grades first, then your experience. If you don't meet their requirement in terms of grades then they won't even look at your experience.

i would say quit trading altogether and retain good grades first. You have plenty of time after uni to trade. Most will look at your grades first, then your experience. If you don't meet their requirement in terms of grades then they won't even look at your experience.
+100

Ouch seriously? :( One more q though, would you think professional certification such as CMT (chartered market technician) would help?

Ouch seriously? :( One more q though, would you think professional certification such as CMT (chartered market technician) would help?

forget about getting professional qualifications you need to get a 2.1 minimum and the IB's like people green. focus on your studies and having a good time at uni as you will look back on it in the future as a time when you had few responsibilities/worries. you should be out drinking and shagging birds not trading imo.