Sticky I'm New To TRADING - Where Do I Start?

Strategy by SMB Capital for the US stock market

For those who start trading in the stock market, i recommend this review of day trading course. This course was created by the company SMB Capital. This is a detailed review of the strategy for the US stock market: tradinglab.tech/en/

For those who start trading in the stock market, i recommend this review of day trading course. This course was created by the company SMB Capital. This is a detailed review of the strategy for the US stock market: tradinglab.tech/en/

I would avoid this company based on number of negative reviews:

"...Or SMB trading, which suckers in college age kids from campuses and sells them on the dream of becoming a prop trader and making their parents proud, only to market a several thousand dollar trading course that is tailor made to sell to naive parents. Most of these kids have no idea what they are getting into and drop out within a few weeks. Once again, avoid any prop trading firms that have a “pay to play” policy..."

https://www.tradingschools.org/proprietary-trading-firms-2015/

SHORT ANSWER

If you’ve just joined T2W – welcome!
First things first, if you haven’t done so already, check out this Sticky: [FAQ] I’m New to T2W – Where do I Start? That’s the starting point for ALL new members, regardless of your trading experience. It contains a list of 12 mini-FAQs which cover the basics about T2W - who’s who and what’s what etc. Once you’ve read it, you’ll have a good understanding of what a fantastic resource the site is, how to get the most from it and, hopefully, how best to contribute to it.

New to trading?
Okay, if you’re not only new to T2W, but also new to trading, then this is the FAQ for you. (If you happen to be a multi-millionaire fund manager, please read it anyway and tell us how we can improve it!) Trading is a very large subject and T2W is a very large website. You’re welcome to just follow your nose and see where it leads, or you may prefer to take a more structured route to accelerate your learning curve. If so, we have . . .

A simple 4 step plan
The Long Answer below provides a simple 4 step plan designed to give you a good insight into the world of the self taught and self funded trader working from home (known as a ‘retail’ trader). For new traders who don’t know where to start, this is the perfect introduction to the subject. Completing steps 1 to 3 will take around ten to twenty hours. At that point you will have enough information to be able to make an informed decision as to whether or not trading is for you.

100% guarantee
Yup, the 4 step plan comes with a rock solid guarantee. Once you’ve completed steps 1-3, one of two things will happen. Either you’ll be bored to tears by the whole subject or you’ll be unable to sleep at night because you’re just soooooo excited! If your rubbish bin is rapidly filling up with spent packets of Mogadon, then you’ll probably be ready to move on to step 4.

Use FXCM as your Broker and use their TradeStation charts.

A Simple Moving Average Trading System which I have used for many years.

SMA 3x13X39 = Profit
I want to address a question commonly asked by those who are computer phobic, techno confused and Internet allergic, "What is a good simple system to follow, to get in and out of markets?".
Most people are comfortable with the herd. Such good folk is most comfortable with a trend following system. I am ill at ease in a pack and downright anxious when everybody and his dog are comfortable saying the same thing. I am, therefore, drawn to oscillators to anticipate the end of popular perception. Oscillators also give an insight into the cyclical nature of markets. Being obsessed with market structure and somewhat compulsive in my quest for efficiency my ways are not 'comfortable' for many. So to get back to basics for those not able or willing to devote the time to market study that I do here is a way to handle your market study and trading decisions.
Remember the numbers 3 x 13 x 39 = Profit
Simple daily moving averages of 3,13 and 39 can keep you in and out of markets fairly efficiently and profitably, (in any time frame actually). I will show you how.
Some basic principles to hang on to are:
· The market moves in long (secular) trends which may last years, e.g. the present equity bull market dates from 1982.
· Intermediate trends lasting many months, even a couple of years or so.
· Short term trends lasting weeks or months.
· Trade intermediate trends in either direction.
· Trade short-term trends only in the direction of the intermediate trend.
Proxies:
· 3 Day MA - a proxy for price
· 13 Day MA - a proxy for the short term trend (a moving trend line)
· 39 Day MA - a proxy for the intermediate trend (a moving trend line)
· 40 weeks, 200 day MA - a proxy for the secular trend (a moving Trendline)
The Basics of MAs
MAs lag market reversals at tops and bottoms, the larger the MA the longer the lag period, the shorter the MA the shorter the lag but the more frequent the whipsaws. MAs work well when markets trend but get frequently whipsawed when they are in a range.
Therefore, trade trends with the MAs but do not trade ranges using MAs. Just stand aside and be patient until a new trend emerges.
The intermediate trend is in the direction of the 39 MA which acts like a moving trend line. If the 39 MA is pointing up then the intermediate trend is up, if down the trend is down. If the 39 MA is horizontal the market is in a range, from which a trend will, sooner or later, emerge.
Simple Trading Rules
1. When the 39 MA is moving up buy when the 3 MA crosses up over the 13 MA. and/or when the 3 MA crosses above the 39 MA. When the 13 MA crosses above the 39 MA consider adding to your long position. Exit and stand aside when the 3 crosses back below the 13 MA.
2. When the 39 MA is moving down sell short when the 3 MA crosses below the 13 MA. and/or when the 3 MA crosses below the 39 MA. When the 13 MA crosses below the 39 MA consider adding to your short position. Exit and stand aside when the 3 MA crosses back up over the 13 MA.
3. Only initiate trades in the opposite direction of the intermediate trend when the 3 MA crosses above or below the 39 MA, preferably after the 39 MA has already changed direction.
4. This 3:13 MA crossover will keep you trading in the trend with only a small lag and on the sidelines during corrections. The lag only becomes more substantial at reversals of the intermediate trend (a 3:39 crossover), a small price to pay at these uncertain times of trend transition.

Aids to Interpretation
· When the 3:13 crossovers occur at some distance from the 39 MA then you are 'likely' dealing with a short-term correction (even though it can be substantial) to the 39 MA.
· If the 3:13 & 39 MAs are close and converging before crossing over you are 'likely' dealing with an intermediate (or significant) correction of the trend or reversal.
· 'Likely' means probably not 'you can bet the farm on it' surety. There is no sure thing just as there is absolutely no free lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use FXCM as your Broker and use their TradeStation charts.

A Simple Moving Average Trading System which I have used for many years.

Very interesting, how many years you have been using / back testing it and what are the average yearly returns? Thanks!

Very interesting, how many years you have been using / back testing it and what are the average yearly returns? Thanks!
Hi Quantt,
philhackett almost certainly won't reply to you - so I will instead. He writes: "MAs work well when markets trend but get frequently whipsawed when they are in a range." If traders know when the market is trending or in range bound consolidation, then most MA crossover systems (not just this one) will work and everyone will make money. Unfortunately, he doesn't tell us the really vital key bit of info' - which isn't the system itself - but knowing when (and when not) to apply it.

philhackett posts on T2W once or twice a year with just one purpose: to duplicate the same post he originally made many, many years ago. He then disappears under his rock until the next time without engaging with members who, like you, take an interest in his system. Given his posting history, I concluded long ago that he has some sort of agenda and that his posts are best treated as low level spam and ignored.
Tim.

Hi Quantt,
philhackett almost certainly won't reply to you - so I will instead.

Thanks a lot Tim!
I am really fascinated with the simplicity of the MA systems, but yet to find one providing constant results above single digit return in the long run...

I`m new in trading and the information shared by all of you it is very useful. I started with demo account, when i have questions i will ask them in the forum.

The problem with 99.99% of techincal systems like MA, MACD, RSI's, Bollingers, Fibbonacci's, Elliot Wave's is that they give static expectations or lagging triggers and that's NOT how effective trading is done. They are canned/off the shelf for a reason.

Let's look at logic for a moment. A new trader comes to the market with an expectation of being able to trade with a 50/50 chance. That chance is broken down to a failure as the technical study has failed him/her, but in his response he/she thinks it's him/her. Confidence has dropped from a 60% level to 55%. But the trader moves onto the next set of indicators. This time a profit is made, great, confidence back up to 60%. Next trade. Boom, account is wiped out. Trader thinks it's himself again, it's not. Its the technical study that lags in history and isn't responsive to movement right NOW.

This becomes the toxic breakdown of trader performance over and over again until the trader finally eliminates the technical studies and moves onto price action. That works but has limited ability. So then the trader looks at forward looking studies that are mathematical based. Again, failure, the market is a breathing animal, it's movements are purely psychological on every level/turn. So your measures have to study trader psyche. Get away from the broken mathematical garbage, the technical studies that lag, price action is ok, but there's a deeper level of understanding that the market has kept traders from for it's entire history... volumes. Correlate true volumes with price action on the candles and you have real value. Value to the levels that most only dream of.

Yes, you are right. But can you tell me which indicators are not LAG?

Market Cycles - Predictive for magnitude of movement - Forward Looking
Market Cycles - Predictive with precision to the m1- Forward Looking
Price Action - Real Time
Volumes - Real Time and Predictive for Support/Resistance
Support and Resistance on BOTH volume and price - Forward View
Cross Pair Volumes... - Real Time

I can go on.

. . . So your measures have to study trader psyche. Get away from the broken mathematical garbage, the technical studies that lag, price action is ok, but there's a deeper level of understanding that the market has kept traders from for it's entire history... volumes. Correlate true volumes with price action on the candles and you have real value. Value to the levels that most only dream of.
Hi NVendetti,
Welcome to T2W.

You make some good points in this - and your other posts - since you joined T2W. Good start!

However, a word of caution if I may. I note that you're a coach/trainer and am a little concerned that the approach you're taking is designed to lead newbies and anyone struggling to get the results they crave towards your services. I hope I'm wrong and that you'll start a bespoke thread that details very clearly how members can learn - for free - to "correlate true volumes with price action on the candles and you have real value. Value to the levels that most only dream of."

To ensure that you don't fall foul of our very vigilant Moderation Team, you might like to check out our Community Constitution - paying particular attention to the panel entitled Vendor Policy.
;)
Tim.

Hi NVendetti,
Welcome to T2W.

You make some good points in this - and your other posts - since you joined T2W. Good start!

However, a word of caution if I may. I note that you're a coach/trainer and am a little concerned that the approach you're taking is designed to lead newbies and anyone struggling to get the results they crave towards your services. I hope I'm wrong and that you'll start a bespoke thread that details very clearly how members can learn - for free - to "correlate true volumes with price action on the candles and you have real value. Value to the levels that most only dream of."

To ensure that you don't fall foul of our very vigilant Moderation Team, you might like to check out our Community Constitution - paying particular attention to the panel entitled Vendor Policy.
;)
Tim.

Hi Tim. I've said nothing even remotely close to vending. You've got a fair crowd here. To say something most only dream of is a fact, Not a solicitation. Wonderful. Thanks. Lets keep the facts. Most don't know how to trade, and most coaches don't know what they are doing themselves. I'm quite clear though. I've said nada and have been open about putting as much information as I can without 'offers' in my posts. In fact it's information 99% look for.

NVendetti,
I've said nothing even remotely close to vending.
That very much depends on how one defines 'vending'.

I put it to you that within the context of this forum the only definition that matters is the one adopted by staff (that's me) and our Moderators. And I can tell you in no uncertain terms that our definition includes any assertion that the Holy Grail (my words - not yours) lies by following one particular path but failing to provide a detailed explanation of how to follow said path. For us, that is vending. As I say, I hope you're different to all the others and will - openly and for free - detail how members can learn to "correlate true volumes with price action on the candles and you have real value. Value to the levels that most only dream of."

At the end of the day, only you know your motives for joining T2W and for posting here. If it's to share your market knowledge and insights in order to help others and to reduce their learning curve - then good on you - you're very welcome. Assuming that's the case, then I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I look forward to your contributions with great interest.
Tim.

NVendetti,

That very much depends on how one defines 'vending'.

I put it to you that within the context of this forum the only definition that matters is the one adopted by staff (that's me) and our Moderators. And I can tell you in no uncertain terms that our definition includes any assertion that the Holy Grail (my words - not yours) lies by following one particular path but failing to provide a detailed explanation of how to follow said path. For us, that is vending. As I say, I hope you're different to all the others and will - openly and for free - detail how members can learn to "correlate true volumes with price action on the candles and you have real value. Value to the levels that most only dream of."

At the end of the day, only you know your motives for joining T2W and for posting here. If it's to share your market knowledge and insights in order to help others and to reduce their learning curve - then good on you - you're very welcome. Assuming that's the case, then I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I look forward to your contributions with great interest.
Tim.

Then... from an uninformed approach, T2W attempts to 'help' traders by making childish critiques of another opinion and profit based facts. That doesn't really help traders at all.. just provides a marketing solution to gain email addresses for brokerage marketing right? After all it's the contacts that you prefer. Have a great day.

Hi NVendetti,
Then... from an uninformed approach, T2W attempts to 'help' traders by making childish critiques of another opinion and profit based facts.
Sorry, I'm afraid you've lost me: I've literally no idea what you're talking about. What T2W does and the way we 'help' traders is clearly outlined at the top of the About Us page.
That doesn't really help traders at all.. just provides a marketing solution to gain email addresses for brokerage marketing right? After all it's the contacts that you prefer. Have a great day.
Wrong. But that's not the issue. The issue is your motives for joining T2W and posting here. Assuming they are honorable and you do not regard our members as mere prospects for your services, then please ignore my comments about vending. Focus instead on the positives: note that I've complimented you on your contributions thus far and made clear that I look forward to reading more from you. There's really no need to take umbrage at anything I've said.

I hope that you too have a great day.
Tim.

, Elliot Wave's is that they give static expectations or lagging triggers and that's NOT how effective trading is done.

Market Cycles - Predictive for magnitude of movement - Forward Looking
Market Cycles - Predictive with precision to the m1- Forward Looking

Please educate me how is it that EW is somehow deficient but Market Cycles are predictive?

Please educate me how is it that EW is somehow deficient but Market Cycles are predictive?

I'll give you this EW is static. Cycles are dynamic.

I'd love to spend weeks on the subject and could. But even presenting a screen shot makes T2W assume I'm soliciting. So in truth there's no way for anyone to find help here, or give it. It's a far cry from being able to help but it's amateurs leading the ship and T2W is merely a marketing scheme.

So I've decided rather then share my knowledge with the marketing team at T2 W I'll keep it. It's truly not worth the childish accusations that get thrown around. So thank them friend. Trade Well.