How do I import data?

JonnyT

1) I have Tradestation 2000i
2) I have downloaded Hypertools

I just cannot seem to import EOD or intraday data into Tradestation.

How do i do it?

Thanks

JonnyT

Are you trying to import directly into Global Server or via an xpo file?

Aaaaaaaargh!!!

I've just installed the 2005 version and can't get it to work either. 2003/4 were no problem at all.

Will let you know when I get it sorted.

In the meantime make sure your data file (ascii or csv) has a ticker symbol on each line. That used to be the prime problem.

JonnyT,

If you are not able to get this sorted let me know and I will email you an earlier version of the Online Downloader which should allow this to be achieved. I have never found the option to import directly into Global Server to be a reliable option.

Paul

Paul,

Be grateful if you will email me a pre 2004 version although, I have to say, the direct import worked extremely well for me.

The new version seems to work ok exporting to xpo but when I try to import I get an error saying that some dll or other is not present.

I'll send email address by PM.

Once again, thanks for your assistance.

Hi

I have downloaded and installed the new Hypertools XPO Premium Edition, thus replacing the previous version of the PE installer. I wish I hadn't, because this stupid bl**dy 'Free Tools Partners' window now always opens and needs to remain open for hypertools to remain open. Furthermore I had the Hypertools free edition installer - from last year, which I deleted yesterday, prior to trying the new XPO PE :eek: ..........big mistake! I tried restoring my system to before i deleted XPO Free Edition - but it has not brought it back :cry:

This brings me back to an old and useful saying to abide by - If it ain't broke, don't fox it!

Cheers

jtrader.

Its looking like AMIBroker is an easier working solution than Tradestation 2000i as I still cannot get any data into it.

JonnyT

Thanks Paul

I am going to try the Hypertools for XPO standard edition.

JonnyT

My initial tests this morning with Hypertools XPO PE 2005 showed that i could not import an xpo file from converted ascii data into the GS - that i had previously been able to using the previous version of XPO PE.
Prior to this new problem, I did not necessarily find XPO PE of more value than XPO free edition - the only difference was that PE enables you to import directly into GS. However, I found that i did not want to import directly into Globalserver, because when I tried to - another problem arose. Therefore i saved the converted XPO file to my desktop.

However, you may find useful my reporting of problems, and the reported solutions on these threads -

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=11430&highlight=hypertools

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10276&page=2&pp=15&highlight=hypertools

http://forum.hypertrader.ws/showthread.php?t=528&highlight=jtrader
http://forum.hypertrader.ws/showthread.php?t=398&highlight=jtrader

You may need to login/register at the hypertrader forums to read these threads.

I have found TS2000i and Hypertools pretty problematic all in all. The sooner I migrate to TS8 the better!

jtrader.

Last edited:
Its looking like AMIBroker is an easier working solution than Tradestation 2000i as I still cannot get any data into it.

JonnyT

www.amibroker.com -
AmiBroker now offers drag-and-drop indicator creation. Build complex indicators without writing single line of code!

This sounds pretty impressive. The only downside for me is that you need to get data from a third party. At least with TS8 - the data provision is fully taken care of for you by TS. The problem with TS8 is that $100 or $200 a month is quite a lot and unless you intend to use it as a real-time charting application as well as as a back-tester - it is probably outside most peoples budgets as just a back-testing and EOD charting application.

jtrader.

Last edited:
Hypertools XPO 2005 standard edition also has the 'Free Tools Partner' sponsorship window.

JonnyT

try converting your ascii data file to xpo format using hypertools before importing it into globalserver. Then try importing the created xpo file manually into the globalserver from your desktop (therefore deselect the 'direct saving history to globalserver' in hypertools xpo during the conversion process set-up).

In hypertools when you get to the window that says "specify exchange, provider and time offset" - when at "specify settings for symbol or cross table" - mark the box "Use filename as symbol". This last bit made the difference between the created xpo file being visible when I got to into the globalserver set-up - as a file that i can select and import into GS

When you then try to import the file from your desktop into globalserver, in GS go to - file - import data - globalserver format - browse (desktop) - select your file - open - next - next - next - finish.

HTH

jtrader.

Last edited:
Getting data into AmiBroker is very easy, even if you only use the standard AmiQuote or Ascii import wizard features. What is really excellent however, if you can write VBScript or javascript (and I know there a are a lot of us computer geeks on here) is the OLE automation interface, which pretty much allows you to do anything you want with it. You just don't have the sort of hassle JonnyT is having with closed programs and data formats.

I've done quite a bit with AB now and with some effort you really can make it into quite a sharp tool. I now use it exclusively for EOD and real-time charting, and EOD and intraday backtesting, and have stopped using a lot of other stuff I have, including Sierra.

It's a shame that the demo version doesn't let you save anything, as this doesn't really allow you to test all the capabilities of the program, and this combined with the poor structure and content of the documentation discourages people from finding out what it can really do.

If anyone has any questions on AmiBroker please fire away (maybe on another topic or by PM) I'll be happy to help.

KenN

TradeStation 200i

Paul,

I have just subscribed to Esignal datafeed and would also like to know how to set up my charts. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks.

lynx

Hi

I was using the hypertraders tools, now, when lanching the programs, I get a message explaining the demo version has expired and that I have to buy the application.
Have yiu the same issue ?
How have you got the 2005 version?
Seems also the doawnload area is down, as well as the forum from hypertrader...

Cbot

JT

I now have Hypertools PE working BUT only by first converting to an XPO file then importing into GS.

It simply refuses to work on direct updating which used to work a treat.

The new 'working' version is now on the download site.

If you need help to get it working just say.

HTH

LII