Help regarding UNM

simba0020

Hi, I bought UNM for 30.00 USD each and now the price is below 25.00.

What did I do wrong? Thanks

Hello together.

Thanks for the lesson. But can you "please" help me to better estimate the position? My thought was, a solid company that has low growth but consistent. According to Fastgraaph totally undervalued

What did I do wrong?
For that you got my first answer above.

Maybe you forgot to sell when price started to fall or you bought a falling knife.
I can add that you should not believe the opinion of others if something is under- or overvalued. That's much more complicated, depends on market segments, for U.S. stocks also on short selling quota etc.
Often you find that it looked under- or overvalued as there was a reason for the evaluation which was visible later.

You should write a little bit more whether you wanted to invest or to trade, how long you wanted to hold etc. and when you bought it. Also why you bought it.

Timing depends on price action.
For sure there was a better timing possible.
If you bought it as an investment, you can keep it as long as it pays dividends.
If you bought it for trading, it is for sure bad timing.

I don't analyze stocks since years, not for trading and not for investing in a usual way, maybe somebody else here can help you better.

Hello together.

Thanks for the lesson. But can you "please" help me to better estimate the position? My thought was, a solid company that has low growth but consistent. According to Fastgraaph totally undervalued

I'll simply reiterate the comments from IIIIIIIIII above. "Value" is only relative to where it was, that shouldn't be your decision to enter, regardless of whether it was a "trade" or "investing". These terms can both (and should) have a timing element to when you enter and exit and this all depends on your timeframe
how long are you looking to hold UNM for? if you entered based on value, was your plan to exit when it looked "overvalued"? that could be years later...as a company's value is based on quarterly results as a minimum
in which case you should be looking to use an appropriate chart timescale to "time" as is mentioned your entry
Value can be used to filter your stock choice, but something else needs to determine its entry
There are loads of different criteria, as long as there is logic

if you entered at 30, well it was in an uptrend, so that's positive, however ideally you enter at the beginning of your uptrend criteria, whereas you've entered relatively late and that's where i'd have said you've gone wrong.
the price to enter would have been in the 20's. as it stands, i wouldn't be exiting until it closes past its recent low of 25

choose an appropriate timescale. weekly/monthly and choose an appropriate entry and exit criteria and together with your rationale for value you will at least have a strategy that you can look to see whether historically it has shown to produce an edge. if you need a hand with the above, by all means reach out.