Having a hard time understanding the lingo

Donsmacs

When I recently found Trade2win.com I was excited since I was unable to find a good Forex forum. There are a few things I'm have trouble with. First, many posts are dated far into the future. Anyone know why? Is this some kinda glitch. The second problem I have is understanding what half the posters mean. I'm on other forums but the Forex forum seems to be in an almost different language. If anyone has a glossary of terms please post it.

I'm no stranger to Forex. I had a 25% return in 2004 and a 40% return so far in 2005. That includes February of 05 in which I lost 15% of my total account value. My system, if that's what you want to call it, is look at the technicals, read the fundamentals, and make a trade usually based 80% on the trend. None of my trades last longer than 6 hours and many are in and out in and hour or less.

Any comments, help, or interpretations are appreciated.

Donsmacs said:
The second problem I have is understanding what half the posters mean. I'm on other forums but the Forex forum seems to be in an almost different language...

Hi Donsmacs. What in particular are you having difficulty understanding?

Donsmacs said:
many posts are dated far into the future..
If you find any of these future posts with attached charts, let me know...I'll pay!!!

Not sure what lingo problems you mean as FX is FX is FX - even with a British accent.

Some example

Look at the threads "Max Strategy Drawdown %0.43 ( 1 2 3 ) " and "moving averages" both have posts and replies dated 11/05. Does someone have a time machine or a faulty clock?

As for terms things like "MA", "SA", "SMAS" and other abbreviations, I'm just not familiar with those. I know it's probably my lack of experience on these boards or ignorance of technical analysis tools. I just find that each forum whether about forex or baseball all have their abbreviations and codes that most of the posters and readers are familiar with. I just don't know them.

Thanks for your help and response!!!

Not sure if you're having some fun with us or not, but you are aware we're using English DD-MM-YYYY date format?

And MA is generic Moving Average and SMA is a Simple Moving Average.

Do you use any indicators at all in your trading?

Brittish Accent

While I live in Connecticut I do have many friends who live in England. Some are traders and some are investors, and some are online gamers. I don't have any lingo problems with them so I don't think it's a cultural gap. I love the idea of this board being populated by many Brits since they seam to have a very realistic, intellegent, and wise perspective on most investment types. Most are a heck of a lot more familiar with FX than the average American investor.

Donsmacs, try checking your User Options -> http://www.trade2win.com/boards/profile.php?do=editoptions (also accessible from the Quick Links and Community menus above), and make sure your on the correct time-zone. The website is normally pretty good at figuring what time-zone your in, but sometimes it trips up. Obivouslt If your on the wrong time-zone then the whole site will be displaying the wrong time, in particular all the new posts listed on the front page will either be in the future, or delayed in the past.

Duh

TheBramble,

I was not aware of the date format. Now it makes sense. Thanks for that. I really wasn't joking but I do feel a little stupid now that I look at it.

Thanks

Moving Averages

TheBramble,

"Taking a deep breath and feeling stupid". Once again you have educated me on the obvious.

I do use moving averages, momentum, and watch for Dojis among a few others.

Thanks again for your responses.

Sharky,

I checked my options and they were correct. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm starting to understand things here now.

Donsmacs said:
Look at the threads "Max Strategy Drawdown %0.43 ( 1 2 3 ) " and "moving averages" both have posts and replies dated 11/05. Does someone have a time machine or a faulty clock?

As for terms things like "MA", "SA", "SMAS" and other abbreviations, I'm just not familiar with those. I know it's probably my lack of experience on these boards or ignorance of technical analysis tools. I just find that each forum whether about forex or baseball all have their abbreviations and codes that most of the posters and readers are familiar with. I just don't know them.

Thanks for your help and response!!!
Por favor Donsmac! The rest of the world uses different date format from us Americans!

some lingo I have seen around several message boards

IB introducing broker
BB bollinger bands
BO break out
BE break even
PB pull back
OB over-bought
OS over-sold
OT open trades
ON over-night

MA, SMA simple moving averages
EMA exponential moving averages