Is it a good idea to sell software to banks/hedge funds/mutual funds?

nicknicknick

So..recently I finished working on a financial system and now that it was relatively easy - i am thinking if it's gonna be a good idea to create that kind of software and offer it to banks/mutual/hedge funds? I am planning for instance to include features like:

* testing a strategy over historical data:
for instance testing your strategy when you simply input indicators and wait several seconds for the computer to test the strategy over sat for instance dow jones since 1920's (well yahoo at least has csvs of dji since the 20s - not 1896...anyway) (that's daily - but if you have tick data, no problem).
* testing a strategy over random data: like some monte carlo pseudorandomness or whatever...
* identifying pairs for long/short
* test your strategy together with a utiity function - so you know you're hedged!!!:
see here for a simpler explanation that does NOT include stochastic metaasymptotic transcendental calibrated 4th derivative:
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/7/10/f2a1f165-9867-4861-a47b-694e6e039725.jpg (hedged cat is hedging - is being hedgeable!)
* test carry trade

Among other things?? you think hedge/mutual funds will be interested (and banks)? I dont hope for the average individual investor as they're mostly interested in classical technical analysis or fundamental analysis and in these cases brokerages provide fully functional software with charts to test a technical strategy realtime and fundamentalists will simply won't care that much for a piece of software but rather...msn money.com and bloomberg.com or secinfo.com - you got it. So, institutional investors are the only one that would neeed that - the only thing that bothers me is...you know - these guys are so smart they program their own tools. Why would paul wilmott the math c++ geek ever buy something when he haz it created in his oxford days??
or they're just math geeks but not into programming? what do you guys think? 10x!

my advice is dont waste your time on them because they wont buy it. you will be better off selling to the retail crowd. the reason is they require a lot of red tape and you are not a known brand with any reputation. sorry i don't mean to burst your bubble.

* identifying pairs for long/short
* test your strategy together with a utiity function - so you know you're hedged!!!:
* test carry trade

These sound interesting. I have no idea how you will achieve them though.

The problem with seeling to commercials is that you should get the CEO to sign the software agreement otherwise you could see years or months of work in filetubes for free. :)