Good books to explain trading terminology/lingo/metrics

ConfusedInvestor

Not understanding finance jargon is the reason why I've been so hesitant to trade for such a long time. For example, one of the most commonly talked about metrics in stocks is the P/E ratio, but i've never seen anyone explain how you can use that when making decisions about what to buy and when to sell it. Someone recommended me "How to make money in stocks" here, but i borrowed the book from the library and it was largely just full of graphs. The guy pointed out certain patters to identify, and gave a rough explanation of momentum trading (always sell after 7% drops and the cup _________ it's been a while since i've read it), but it all felt so unclear to me.

It would also work to read a book where trading strategies were very clearly explain, and there are lots of books that seem to do that, but i'm honestly sick of buying practical books that aren't practical. It seems like everyone in this business is constantly trying to hide useful information...

Last edited:
Hi ConfusedInvestor,

What markets are you trying to learn about ... Forex, Futures or shares?

There are plenty of good free information that you can learn the basics but it depends on what you are looking for.

Cheers

Hi ConfusedInvestor,

What markets are you trying to learn about ... Forex, Futures or shares?

There are plenty of good free information that you can learn the basics but it depends on what you are looking for.

Cheers

shares, there’s all sorts of different types of financial instruments you can trade, I want to stick to the ones I don’t have to pay an commission or fees for at the momen.

I am all for books but they do have the downside that it is hard to find a good book if you are looking for something specific.
The best way to go about it is to Google it, honestly. I like the explanations of Investopedia, for example, they are very thorough and the specific terms in the explanations are linked so you can check them out easily if you don't understand something. If that's not enough, look through explanations of several sites and eventually you'll find your answers and the sources that you prefer to use.