General Trading Chat

Timsk,

Is this new forum things a proposed method of managing user behaviour? What is the rationale behind it?

Sco

well of course it is, they cannot be arsed to continually move all the stuff out from general trading chat to the rightful forum it belongs. it is a boring time consuming task that nobody wants to do. to stop the beehive syndrome around general trading chat the easiest thing to do was kill it off and get rid, which they have done. trouble is the bees are without the hive and are feeling a little lost at present.

there also is a mistaken belief that if the lesser visited and posted to sections receive a huge boost of posts from the dumping of all the general trading chat postings and the general merging, will somehow boost these lesser posted to sections. this is unlikely due to the nature of the way members use the boards. members do not by and large sit on various sections looking at them, it is very rare for them to do this bar one or two oddballs.

Do you also give egg-sucking lessons to the elderly, Rob?
I am elderly (compared to you anyway)!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi robster,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Doubtless, Sharky doesn't need such explanations as he's a techie and very clued up about such things. I on the other hand . . .
:LOL:
Tim.

I meant more in the sense of trying to corridor content and reduce the amount of "general" chatting that takes place in the site in favour of more b0llocks on 1:3 risk:reward or whatever. that takes place in teh sub-forums.

I dont think anyone's going to tell you what their true objectives are. That being the case I cant understand why anyone would waste time trying to assist when they dont really know what it is t2w are trying to achieve !

I am elderly (compared to you anyway)!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi robster,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Doubtless, Sharky doesn't need such explanations as he's a techie and very clued up about such things. I on the other hand . . .
:LOL:
Tim.

If he owns multiple sites, he'll be aware of this kind of problem, especially if they make money off advertising. If you want a good example of how to monetise user-generated content, dissect youtube. It does user generated content aggregation and distribution brilliantly.

I meant more in the sense of trying to corridor content and reduce the amount of "general" chatting that takes place in the site in favour of more b0llocks on 1:3 risk:reward or whatever.

since when was that an issue for anyone? it matters not where the general chatting takes place surely? i see your point, though it's all interconnected and to promote the "b0llocks" that the sours like.

maybe keep an eye on the site guidelines, that'll be updated to suit most probably.

Is this new forum things a proposed method of managing user behaviour? What is the rationale behind it?
Hi s-n-d,
The rationale behind the new layout is to make the site more streamlined. It gets rid of dead sub forums, brings everything up to date and unites members that were once split into smaller groups. It makes the site leaner, crisper and easier to navigate. In short, the idea is to make T2W a better and more enjoyable place to be.

Is it intended as a way of managing user behaviour? No, other than as has been mentioned already for the reasons given.
Tim.

You've put the cynic in me to rest but have you ever stopped to think about why members are in small groups in the first place? I think you're fighting against nature here. If you wanted more inter-mingling etc you'd be better off doing away with all sub forums all together and categorising simply by markets with an date index so that people can see what was discussed at and around event dates.

or promote the freshest content highest, use trending, heat maps, etc and radically overhaul the tagging and categorising of older content so that the search function is usable and contextual.

it goes back to teh hare's question on knowing what the site is for.