GBP/USD trading times

Stevegclarke

Hi all I live in Perth aussie and find trading uk suits me as the market opens 3pm as I work early and am home befor market opens. I realise forx trades 24 hours, but for example would GBP/USD open same time as the ftse? I like the idea of pivot points so need to know opening times so I can calculate them. Also dose anyone know how accurate they are trading forx. Any comments would be very appreciated thankyou.

It starts getting busy as the Frankfurt & London desks begin stirring for sure (7.00-8.00gmt). London-New York overlap (12.30-14.00gmt) will usually register a peak in the activity flows, so you should get plenty of opportunities to partake.

Best bet would be to plot your pivots Steve (both intraday & weekly) on your charts & observe the traffic as it oscillates around them. You’ll get different views & opinions from folks as to their relevance or importance, but the only way you’ll know if you can make something work is to try it out yourself.

Try opening up a mid term chart (4 hourly say) & see if you can notice any clear & striking support & resistance zones (levels where price has been firmly rejected). Previous swing high & lows….area’s of consolidation (tight range prints etc), & see whether any of your pivot points marry up with those levels?

Confluence of levels can be pretty powerful area’s of reaction, especially if they vibrate on & around big figures, round numbers.

There’s no right or wrong out there, just what works comfortably for you. It’s a whole lot of trial & error most of the time. What you find appropriate & successful won’t necessarily be the next fella’s cup of tea.

Hi all I live in Perth aussie and find trading uk suits me as the market opens 3pm as I work early and am home befor market opens. I realise forx trades 24 hours, but for example would GBP/USD open same time as the ftse? I like the idea of pivot points so need to know opening times so I can calculate them. Also dose anyone know how accurate they are trading forx. Any comments would be very appreciated thankyou.

If you're plotting pivots (or any other indicator) off of charts, realize that most forex data feeds use either 4pm or 5pm NY time as the open/close of the trading day. Some charting packages will allow you to change that, however, especially if you're working with an intraday feed.

===========================================================

in my experience, i find the intraday pivots to be of little value EXCEPT when the price is making its final move to resistance which for me (in the USA) happens at the close of your london market while the US is still open !

on the longer term charts, (daily and up) i find the pivot points and s+r to be very much reliable !

imho

mp

I'm in NZ and my cable charts are set to GMT, usually starts to get lively at 7.00 am GMT but as the good people say, trends and supp res are obvious

Hi steve.. try find this forex cheat sheet in this website http://www.forexebook.net

FOREX TRADING HOURS.

London opens 3:00 am to 12:00 noon EST

New York opens 8:00 am to 5:00 pm EST

Sydney opens 5:00 pm to 2:00 am EST

Tokyo opens 7:00 pm to 4:00 am EST