Fills On Limit Orders Above Inside Market

RichieC

When a stock is moving very fast I don’t feel comfortable entering a market order as it could result in me being filled well above where the price was at when I placed the order. I therefore always use limit orders but this can sometimes result in me missing a trade. I’ve often thought that the best solution would be to send a limit order that’s a few cents above the inside market price as this would essentially be a market order but with a cap so I couldn’t be filled too far from where the stock is trading.

I’ve never actually tried this though because I’m unsure of exactly how things work. I’m concerned that if I send a limit buy order for $50.10 for a stock that is trading with a bid of $50.00 and an ask of $50.05 that I will simply be filled at $50.10.

I would be very grateful if someone could confirm what would happen in this situation - would the ECN give me the shares that are available at $50.05 or is there a chance that I could be filled at $50.10 even if the inside market doesn’t move from A$50.05-B$50.00? Would the behaviour vary between ECNs and in general is this a safe thing to do?

Thanks for any advice you can offer on this issue.

You will be filled at best ask ie 50.05, within constraint of number shares offered at best ask. Also, of course, providing somebody else doesn't get in first.

Last edited:
a limit order is an order for "x price or better" so if you put a bid limit above the ask you'll get the current ask if there is enough depth.

Its a good way to avoid slippage more than what you price in.

Thanks a lot for the help. I had been concerned to try it out in case I got filled at my limit price but I'll feel a lot more comfortable doing that now I know I'll just get filled at the inside market price.

Thanks again.