Example calculation of a margin call

jaapk85

1 0
Hi everybody,

I am completely new to trading, but with the current low oil prices I would like to give it a go and gamble a little bit that they will be back on their old level in a few months. I want to spend no more than € 500, since that is an amount I would be "OK" with if I would lose it.

I would like to start on Plus500 and take a position in oil barrels, however i want to prevent a margin call when the prices go down just a little bit.

Can anyone tell me when (in the following situation) i would receive a margin call and in that case, what would happen to my account balance?

• I add € 500 to my account
  • Assume (for clarity of calculations) that oil costs 20 euro per barrel and there is no spread
  • Leverage is 1:10
  • Initial margin is 10%
  • Maintenance margin is 5%
  • I take a position worth € 5.000 in oil (250 barrels)
  • At what price drop in oil would i receive a margin call?

• And secondary, let's say that with the same investment of € 500 I would want to avoid a margin call if the price drops even as low as 10 euro per barrel. What position could i then take in oil?
I hope my question is clear and somebody is available to answer it.

Thank you in advance!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock