ETF + Algo = Success

ETFandAlgo

Hi!

My name is Alexander, I'm from Moscow (from Russia with Love(c) :). Sorry for the bad English, sometimes use translator. I am 30 years old. I trade on the main stock exchanges a little more than 10 years. Worked as a trader in investment companies. The results for the last 5 years I attached below. This is my personal trading account.

The purpose of the journal.
Show professional trading and find a large investor ($1M).

Investment philosophy.
I use both passive investing and algorithmic trading. In my opinion, using both approaches can be achieved the best results.
In recent months, I revised my long-term strategy and decided to focus on stability of results, high Sharpe ratio. For this, I developed 2 algorithms in addition to my main strategy and lowered the target profitability to 40-50 per annum.Beginning in April, I will post my monthly results here every month.

Practice.
On 100% of the capital I bought ETF XLP. Why XLP and not SPY? XLP has a higher Sharpe and dividend. My broker (IB) gives overnight 2 leverage, so 50% of the capital will be available. I will allocate free capital to 3 strategies in proportion to their historical Sharpe.

Algorithms.
Below are the backtests of strategies that I will use in my trading. All backtests considered costs. Results are presented without reinvestment, fixed amount. I will not describe in detail the algorithms and share transactions, as in moments of market inefficiencies all traders compete for fill. I hope for your understanding. There will be only backtests and results of real trading.

Strategy #1. Stocks NASDAQ and AMEX.
We earn on correction of the stock after strong growth. Short only. Mean reversion.
S1.PNG
S2.PNG
Sharpe ~3.

Strategy #2. Gold spot.
We earn the breakout of multi-day levels. Long and Short. Momentum.
G1.PNG
G2.PNG
G3.PNG
Sharpe ~2.

Strategy #3. VXX.
We earn on VXX drift down. Short only. Trend following.
V1.PNG
V2.PNG
V3.PNG
Sharpe ~2.

Strategies #2 and #3 have a small number of trades per year. It takes many months to realize their statistical advantage.

2012.PNG
2013.PNG
2014.PNG
2015.PNG
2016.PNG

Last edited:
e/t pip is your man for the cool million-hes worth millions from lean hog trading.

Actually for a change what he says is true my dad has a huge hog farm spread. Spent may yrs trading PORK at open auction exchange.

Don't do it anymore though, hog farming is not my cup of tea.

Strategy #3. VXX.
We earn on VXX drift down. Short only. Trend following.

I have wonder about this very thing and looked at it a good deal a while back. It seemed to obvious to work though, and as a general rule I avoid shorting like the plague...perhaps I should reconsider. Good to know it works.

Are you attempting the Forex market ?
It is very liquid and your algo may work here too.

Hi! I have a good news. My best friend (partner) found me an investor from the Netherlands. Thank you all for your attention. I wish everyone success! The project is closed.