Dollar (and Yen) Bulls on Parade

DailyFX

Dollar (and Yen) Bulls on Parade

DailyFX.com provides free news, trading resources, and market analysis to the trading community.

Written by Jamie Saettele, Senior Currency Strategist

All the talk of capitulation recently has been just that; talk. However, one specific indicator signals a warning.

10-24-08techs1.gif

10-24-08techs2.gif

What does capitulation look like on a chart? Plot a chart of any time frame with a 1 period ATR and you’ll see that the spikes in ATR almost always indicate turns (what capitulation looks like visually). This week (and it is not over yet) has produced one of the largest 1 week ranges in the EURUSD ever (using DM rates prior to 1999). I have indicated with vertical lines ranges of similar magnitude, which occurred at major turning points. Also, the EURUSD is nearing the 38.2% of the drop rally from the 2000 low and is right at the 2006 low. Both levels are potential support.

10-24-08techs3.gif

The USDJPY is the only pair that I have been correct on. The long term pattern strongly suggests that the all-time low will eventually be broken (below 80). Traders may wish to take some off the table or just move risk to the previous low, which should not be overlapped under the most bearish count.

10-24-08techs4.gif

Doing the same exercise with the GBPUSD as I did with the EURUSD, we see that this week’s ATR is one of the largest ever (the 1992 instance was the famous Soros ‘breaking the Bank of England trade’). ATR’s of similar magnitude led to significant turns in the 1990s and earlier this decade.

This Article continues HERE, and further looks at USD/CHF, USD/CAD, AUD/USD and NZD/USD

DailyFX.com provides free news, trading resources, and market analysis to the trading community.

gr8 post.

I'm particularly intrigued by the opportunity that is USD/JPY going into Fed rate decision wk.

Considering taking up a sizeable short position, in the anticipation of Fed rate cut couple with the expected BOJ rate hold.

Any thoughts?